Is Turkey safe?

(7 Posts)
CappuccinoQueen Mon 23-Sep-13 11:31:28

I'm going to Kusadasi on the Aegean Coast in a few days for a week's holiday (which was booked months ago). However, I know this sounds pathetic but I am really worried about going confused

I know Kusadasi is hundreds of miles from Syria but the Foreign Office website says there is a high threat of terrorism generally in Turkey. I have also read that areas with high numbers of Westerners/tourists could be targeted.

Has anyone been recently? If anyone could put my mind at ease it would be much appreciated!

Buzzardbird Mon 23-Sep-13 18:43:58

A group of friends got back Saturday. I have a few more friends out there now and an old school friend who lives there. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Have fun and stop worrying. You would not be allowed to travel to anywhere that wasn't considered safe.
You would be in more danger in the West Midlands at the moment.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 23-Sep-13 19:04:27

Please don't worry, you will be perfectly safe in the tourist resorts. There is no higher risk of terrorism in Turkey than in the UK or any other country. And as you say Syria is hundreds of miles away, it would take you a whole day to get there by bus!

My husband is Turkish and his family live about 100 miles from the Syrian border and they say life is no different from normal and they only know about the problems from the news. So in the tourist resorts you will be fine.

If I could, I would go over to Turkey tomorrow as I love it so much there but unfortunately we have to wait until next year before our next trip. So go and enjoy your holiday, or if you don't want to go I will take your place wink

CappuccinoQueen Tue 24-Sep-13 08:03:53

Thank you both for replying. You have put my mind at ease and I feel much better now! I'm going to stop worrying and concentrate on enjoying the holiday smile

Phylis81 Tue 24-Sep-13 14:51:39

Turkey is the most beautiful country I've ever been to. Have a great time smile

bigTillyMint Mon 30-Sep-13 20:12:40

We went to Kusadasi in August. It's very quiet and miles from anywhere Syria, so I don't think you will encounter any problemssmile

CPtart Mon 30-Sep-13 20:31:19

Also went to Kusadasi last month. Am very jealous, it's lovely and we have booked to return next year.
You will be fine, have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now