has anyone done a 'meet Father Christmas' holiday in Lapland?

(11 Posts)
Isthiscorrect Thu 26-Sep-13 16:10:12

We went with Canterbury travel a while back 13 years ago. It was awesome, we still talk about it dh about the exorbitant cost. It was the best holiday ever, we met Father Christmas on Christmas day. WE got certificates for reindeer driving, crossing into Lapland. FC even gave Ds (then 5 years old) the very present he wanted and had his very letter. We got to chat to him, and the his elves (they were very funny) for about 45 mins, all about school and presents and the trip and growing up. Not another person in sight. It was truly magical. Along with carols at the ice church on Christmas morning, sleeping over in an igloo, ds first time skiing. Brilliant holiday. If you can afford it then you must must must must must go for it. We took a few presents and some christmas decorations, FC left the rest of the presents at home because he couldnt carry all the presents. The main hotel building had a lovely story teller for the children for when they got back from the activities. The huge wooden bed with feather pillows and duvets, sledges outside every log cabin to transport the children on. Oh I could wax lyrical about the trip forever smile blush.

Doolallydolly Fri 20-Sep-13 18:26:32

Just re read your original op about father Christmas nonsense... That's the whole idea of this trip!!

If you just want snow it would be much cheaper to go skiing.

Doolallydolly Fri 20-Sep-13 18:21:13

Absolutely too young, honestly 4 would be the minimum it was -25 the day we went. In our photos we have icicles from our noses and our eyelashes/brows went white and froze. It was bitter. We went on Sunday 23rd last year so no missing school and it was right before Xmas.

It is also a long day. We left home at 3am on the 23rdand got back about 1am on the 24th. The flight is also about 3hrs each way, but my kids made friends, they put a film on, we sang xmas songs. On the wya back they were all asleep! (I think my son at 4 was the youngest, there was one other who looked his age) We spent all day outside except for lunch - and then another pancake/hot choc stop!

There was loads of fire pits and hot berry juice outside to drink. On the huskys, skidoos, sledges they gave you reindeer blankets. Honestly none of the activities were even suitable for a 2 yr old. It was literally dark all day. The huskys are extremely fast!!! It's not like a little horse and carriage ride. The children's skidoos would be too much for one so little and the sledges/ toboggans go fast I think I screamed louder than my kids!

morethanpotatoprints Fri 20-Sep-13 15:01:56

From what my sister said, yes 2 would be too young to gain any benefit and also so much you couldn't do with a 2 year old.
Can you not wait until next year and go as soon as the dc break up, or even just the last day off.

insomniarules Fri 20-Sep-13 13:27:21

Thank you. Is 2 too little do you think? We just thought it was the last chance as next year DS will be in school and we obviously can't takd him out if school without a fine.

Doolallydolly Fri 20-Sep-13 12:50:33

Sorry ice castle (not hotel) more like an ice cave actually! But kids loved it.

Doolallydolly Fri 20-Sep-13 12:49:13

We did a one day with Canterbury travel (the one with the ice hotel). One day was enough for us it was extremely cold, I have never known anything like it. We had thermals, track suits, then onesies, then coats then their all in one suits plus balaclavas, two pairs of gloves. They did sayit was very cold even for them! We were picked up from the airport on large skidoos with trailers (one per family)

It was a long day but brilliant the were the only tour operator there (and I think it was just our plane actually). Some of the longer trips looked like they were in ski resorts. I didn't want any of that. We went for the sole purpose of meeting the real father Christmas. Am happy to pm you more info if you want.

I would advise that it is not for young children. Ds was 4.5 and he was fine, but it wouldn't be suitable for younger. Dd was 7.5 ...

morethanpotatoprints Fri 20-Sep-13 12:44:00

My sister went with her dh, dd and sdd.
The kids were 7 and 6 and all thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't know which tour operator, but think they are all about the same.
They hired the snow clothes and stayed in a cabin.
It cost thousands, but money wasn't an object to her.
I could never afford it, not sure if I could justify the thousands, but if I had them, I probably would.
The kids still talk about it now 5 years later, so well worth the expense, for them.

SisterMerror Fri 20-Sep-13 12:39:37

I think this is the one we went on.

SisterMerror Fri 20-Sep-13 12:37:45

We did it with Canterbury Travel a few years ago and it was definitely worth the money. We went for 4 days but you can go for a shorter time if you wish.

insomniarules Thu 19-Sep-13 19:50:30

Is it worth it? Who are the better travel operators for this? Any tips or hints? JUst realised this is the last year we could do this and while I have misgivings about encouraging the whole FC nonsense it would be lovely to go and enjoy the snow and play with the kids. Any advice would be lovely thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now