Playa Blanca, Lanzarote - December?

(20 Posts)
Dressingdown1 Thu 19-Sep-13 11:43:52

We are thinking of having a pre Christmas break in the Natura Palace hotel. Have never been to Lanzarote, but we know a few of the other islands in the Canaries.

Has anyone been in December? We are a bit worried because everyone says it's windy there and we love swimming so would hate for it to be too cold to take our clothes off! We have been to Tenerife a couple of times in December and it's been lovely; warm and sunny. We fancy a change this year though.

Any advice gratefully received.

Yonihadtoask Thu 19-Sep-13 14:34:49

Most of my recent visits to Lanzarote have been in Feb half term, with variable weather. Usually warm, but sometimes a little 'fresh'. The only time I have visited the Canaries in Dec was to Tenerife, when the weather was pretty good, with one evening of v heavy rain.

I wouldn't say it is any windier than any other island - obviously by the coast it can be.

bluebump Thu 19-Sep-13 14:46:26

We went to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote in December (about 10 years ago so maybe not that helpful!) but it was warm enough to sunbathe and swim in the pool at the hotel, I don't remember trying to swim in the sea. It was breezier over at Fuerteventura where we went on a day trip.

It will be much too cold to swim. We were there last Easter and teenage DSs both turned blue after 5 minutes in the pool. We needed long trousers and fleeces at night.

Having said that I don't think Lanzarote is much different from the other Canaries, I have been to them all in winter and you will get warm sunshine but it is not like a summer holiday in the med.

Dressingdown1 Thu 19-Sep-13 18:19:20

Thanks to everyone for your help. We are still undecided, might go back to Tenerife, at least we know what to expect!

Bunbaker Fri 20-Sep-13 08:25:15

Lanzarote is a lovely island with much to see, but we found it disappointingly chilly at February half term - far too cold for swimming. I recall a rep telling me that February was the coldest month.

I found this which makes interesting reading.

BearPear Fri 20-Sep-13 15:12:38

I think Playa Blanca is the most sheltered resort. We went in October a couple of years ago and I wouldn't have said it was especially windy. Costa Teguise on the other hand is very windy.

We are ready for our now annual trip to Lanzarote which I find amazing as I have never been a person to go back to a place repeatedly. The island is perfect for a late summer/early autumn retreat. It's all low-level development and everywhere seems very well maintained & tidy. I have been to Tenerife before and much prefer Lanzarote, although there's not a huge amount to do if you have children!

Bunbaker Fri 20-Sep-13 18:07:31

"although there's not a huge amount to do if you have children!"

I don't agree. We like exploring and DD loved seeing different parts of the island (she was 5 when we went). Children don't have to be entertained all the time or do kids clubs.

mignonette Fri 20-Sep-13 18:11:30

We flew out in the last week of December eight years ago and had a fabulous time. Lovely and hot but maritime in its climate w/ no humidity. We came back w/ great tans, the children (and us) were in the sea every day and in fact eschewed the pool for the sea.

Blue skies, not as crowded and as long as you keep away from the Uk owned bars/cafes selling all day British breakfasts/pie and chips, you'll know you are abroad. We went to Papgayo beach in the South mainly and drove all over the Island. Take the children to Timanfaya national park w/ the volcano, to Jameos Del Agua and Teguise Market on Sundays.

mignonette Fri 20-Sep-13 18:13:49

The NE and West are famous for their surfing/windsurfing but we experienced no wind and the beaches were very sheltered especially Papagayo which will be quite near you although you'll need car hire to reach it.

adifferentwoman Sun 22-Sep-13 09:23:45

Bunbaker - we're heading over to Lanzarote in October and whilst staying in Playa Blanca, we're really interested in seeing other parts of the island. What can you recommend? We're 2 adults and one six year old DD.

peppermum Sun 22-Sep-13 09:31:46

We have been going to Lanzarote since our DS was 18 months old (now 17). We love Playa Blanca . We also tried Tenerife once but for us there was no comparison!

It is usually lovely all year round but you can be unlucky. I'm not sure about the Natura Palace as we have stayed at the Timanfaya Palace and Rubicon Palace which have the advantage of a heated outdoor pool (essential if you want to swim - unheated pools will be too cold for your DC).

One of the best things is the traffic free pathway along the coast - you can walk right along enjoying the bracing sea air. Plenty to do for all ages. We love it!

Bunbaker Sun 22-Sep-13 10:05:35

Timanfaya National Park is unmissable. You can't drive around it yourself - you have a to take a coach trip because it is to protect the landscape. Anything to do with Cesar Manrique (Fundacion Cesar Manrique, Jameos del Agua), Guinate Tropical Park - ideal for a 6 year old.

This website lists the main attractions. I haven't listed all of them because I haven't seen them all. The aquarium sounds like it would interest a 6 year old as well.

I would give Costa Teguise a miss. We stayed there last time. The apartment was nice but the resort is totally devoid of any character and I wouldn't go back to that part of the island.

Yonihadtoask Sun 22-Sep-13 11:02:36

As Bunbaker says.

There are lots of interesting things to see and do relating to Timanfaya.

I love Lanzarote. smile

Will you hire a car? If you are in Playa Blanca, it is quite a good plan, as you are quite a long transfer from the airport, in a bus. But by car it's a straightforward drive. Not too tricky at all.

One time we went and went on a full day coach trip of the island (despite having seen most of it already on previous trips!) . It was worth the money spent, as the guide we had was extremely informative - and told us things about the island that no guide book will. Also you get to see so much in one day, without the hassle of the driving, and parking. I booked ours with Last Minute Travel - they have offices everywhere- the one we used was in the centre of Playa Blanca town.

Papagayo beach is very beautiful too. Last time we were there we hired a villa, which was right at that end of PB. We were able to walk onto the beaches (via a cliff top hike!). Unfortunately that particular Feb trip had not great weather - and we didn't linger on the beach. But there were people swimming! On a previous trip the weather was fab - and we spent an afternoon sunbathing and swimming in the sheltered bay. Great. Hire car companies warn you about taking your car off -road - but most people do it. it is a rocky, bumpy track, but is a road of sorts. If you do go by car you have to pay about 5euros to enter, but it's worth it.

There are boat trips from the harbour - (marina at one end, harbour at the other). These are the big ferries which go across to Fuerteventura - and there are day trips out too. Lots to choose from.

Am envious - can I come with you and be your tour guide ?

Bunbaker Sun 22-Sep-13 19:11:14

I agree about the coach trip. We don't usually like them but we took one that did the north of the island and it was the best trip we have ever booked on a holiday. You learn far more from the guides and they make it far more interesting than a guide book does.

adifferentwoman Mon 23-Sep-13 10:37:35

Thanks everyone - getting excited now. The villa we're looking at looks a bit far out. How easy it is to park in the centre of PB or by one of the beaches? Also thinking to ditch the villa idea and to a hotel for a few nights in PB, then somewhere rural for a bit - anyone done that?

Yonihadtoask Mon 23-Sep-13 11:19:35

We only ever drove into centre of PB a couple of times, and parking was fine.

I liked the walk along the seafront. A couple of times I used it as my morning run - I think I calculated it to be just 1.5 miles or so each way. We were right over at the end of resort by Papagayo beach.

loopsngeorge Wed 25-Sep-13 00:15:23

We stayed at the Natura Palace one April a couple of years ago and while it was lovely weather (and a lovely hotel) there was no way you could swim in the pool, so I don't imagine it will be any different in December. I loved Lanzarote though and would definitely recommend it with kids as there's lots to see and do.

RedNats5 Sun 29-Sep-13 20:33:17

My mum and dad go every December/jan and it's pretty different. They've had some glorious December weeks and some windy January's but also had the other way round. We've been At new year and it was warm enough to swim 11-3ish but went pretty chilly as soon as sun went in. We've been in feb half term and had it glorious.

fussychica Wed 02-Oct-13 17:16:09

We've been to Playa Blanca loads of times, many during Dec/Jan. Off there this December after a number of years absence due to living in Spain. Hope I still love it! Can't wait. Weather mild all year but can be quite cold in the evenings during the winter. We've rented a villa with a pool - not sure the pool will be used though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now