Can I hire a car in Spain and drive into France?

(6 Posts)
Apileofballyhoo Thu 12-Sep-13 09:56:02

Flying into Girona and staying in French campsite - it suddenly occurred to me that maybe I wouldn't be allowed move countries with a hire car or am I being silly?

no you're not been silly - you definitely have to check it out with the car hire companies you are looking at. I'm not sure all allow it and those that do often add a charge. That said, I am sure a lot people flying in to Girona will want to cross into France so worth checking out with the various hire companies that service the airport. BTW Girona is a beautiful city if have time to visit it. Also being nosey - which campsite are you going to? We've done sites near Girona and Perpignan.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 15-Sep-13 17:32:28

thanks for the reply! We are going to La Sirene in Argeles Sur Mer. It's our first time for this type of holiday.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 29-Sep-13 17:51:50

Yes, what Lil says. You will need to tell them in advance and I think there might be an additional payment, not major but I think that's what we did.

Try to make sure you stop off in Figueres for the Dali museum smile

Artandco Sun 29-Sep-13 17:54:54

Yes you should do. We often fly across Europe and then drive back trough the countries and drop car in Paris before taking Eurostar home. The big companies like europcar/ Avis etc def do

nextphase Sun 29-Sep-13 18:01:40

As everyone else says, you can do it, but you need to make sure the hire company know your going out of Spain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now