Need a pool we can actually swim in, in Feb half term!

(17 Posts)
loopsngeorge Tue 24-Sep-13 21:46:37

Bit too far for a week though unfortunately!

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 24-Sep-13 08:47:00

If Dubai and Iceland are considered, then how about Australia and New Zealand? We are heading that way in Feb. It'll be the height of summer.

loopsngeorge Mon 23-Sep-13 22:06:09

Funnily enough have been busy looking at Dubai! Or Abu Dhabi which looks much better value for money.....

TheSlug Mon 23-Sep-13 15:29:55

Dubai?

blossomblowing Mon 23-Sep-13 15:13:01

go somewhere swanky with an indoor pool, problem solved! you have to go a long way to get outside swimming in february, Thailand?

It was a self catering place ... maybe bora bora apartments or something like that. Just round the corner from good value supermarket, 5 mins walk downhill to the beach, lots of places to eat nearby. Unit of only 8 apartments, around pool, so lovely and peaceful.

LadyBigtoes Thu 19-Sep-13 10:54:32

Everywhere and anywhere, it's part of the culture - and because geothermal means it doesn't cost much, it's no problem heating outdoor pools to a really warm temperature. This means that pools are generally open air, even though it's not a warm place. They also have smaller hot tubs at the side usually.

However having said that Iceland doesn't have many big towns - for a holiday you really want to go to Reykjavik and then have a few day outings from there to see the sights. There is also the blue lagoon which is near the airport.

Must go there on holiday again soon!

afussyphase Thu 19-Sep-13 10:41:39

Wow Ladybigtoes, where in Iceland? That sounds amazing. More details please?!

LadyBigtoes Thu 19-Sep-13 10:30:30

Go to Iceland! They have lovely hot (geothermally heated) outdoor swimming pools where they swim all year round.

loopsngeorge Thu 19-Sep-13 10:28:00

Sounds good - can you remember which hotel in GC it was?

We went to Gran Canaria in April a couple of years ago ... Dcs at the time were 7 and 5. The pool was fine... it was quite a small one - not 20m long or anything - maybe 10 by 5m, I don't think it was artificially heated, but it really was fine for all of us.

Not sure about February - I always presumed that temperatures were pretty even all year, but maybe not.

loopsngeorge Wed 18-Sep-13 21:23:28

Thanks for the replies - it's a bit of a dilemma really as it's not exactly cheap to go for Feb half term and I don't want to spend money just to look at a lovely pool but not go in it!!
I think I'm going to look for somewhere that has lots of kids clubs activities going on in case the weather's not that great. The Luabay Los Gigantes looked exactly right, but there were loads of reports on tripadvisor saying norovirus was rife last February so the search continues!

I've been to the Canaries in February and you can't compare it to a summer holiday. Days are short for one thing. I've never found a pool warm enough to use.
Even April is risky. Last year we went to Lanzarote at Easter. It was warm and sunny during the day but the pool was freezing. Evenings were cold - long trousers and fleeces required. Holidays usually revolve around pools for DCs but DS1 was blue within minutes (he was 16 at the time). They weren't keen on going again when I offered to book for next April.
I love it but then I don't go in the water unless it's very hot.

DowntonTrout Fri 13-Sep-13 10:43:47

Not Gran Canaria I'm afraid.

But we have been to a hotel in Tenerife at Christmas/ Feb/Easter where one of their outdoor pools is heated and have always been able to swim in it.

We were also in Lazarote in April and had a couple of very cold days, apparently there was a bad week, but when the sun did come out we could swim in the pools - so I think you must have been there about the time we were.

The canaries are a bit hit and miss in Feb. it could be cold/windy/rainy, or it could be ok. It's not guaranteed and I think we have just been lucky.

Most hotel websites will tell you if one of the pools is heated.

loopsngeorge Fri 13-Sep-13 10:28:44

Thanks - we are debating going in April, but seems too long to wait! Will let you know how I get on!

morleylass Wed 11-Sep-13 14:48:36

Hi, we were looking for the same thing and in the end we decided to book a week in the beginning of April instead (Tenerife)...not very helpful I know!

It seems that the weather can be very variable in February, lovely and hot to cold and miserable. We've been to GC twice, once in March and once in April both times had great weather however the unheated pools were very cold then. When we were looking the hotels that had indoor pools were mainly in Spas and I'm not sure children are allowed.

I hope you find one, do let us know about the hotel if you do!

loopsngeorge Tue 10-Sep-13 22:56:32

We're thinking of going to Gran Canaria in February half term but I'm worried that lots of people say the pools were too cold to go in during the winter. We've experienced that in Lanzarote in April so I know how surprisingly freezing they can be! Just wondered whether anyone had any recommendations for hotels with heated pools/indoor pools/lots of other activities to entertain the kids, or experience of going to Gran Canaria that time of year? Was the sea warm enough to swim in?
Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now