Seville recommendations please!

(6 Posts)
Chottie Thu 05-Sep-13 21:14:08

I went there this summer. It's lovely to walk along by the river, go to Tribana and watch some flamenco dancing, the department store El Corte Inges is like a Spanish JL. Take an open top bus ride around Seville. The ticket is open for 24 hours, so we went for a ride in the morning and then at night time when the city was all lit up.

There are wonderful tapas bars and the trams are a good way to get around and you can also hire bikes as there are lots of bike paths. We also went by high speed train to Cordoba which is a fab medieval town.
Enjoy! smile

Absolutmum Thu 05-Sep-13 21:09:31

Thanks everyone, e tickets arrived today, getting very excited!
I will make a note of all your recommendations, thanks.

Bunbaker Thu 05-Sep-13 20:03:43

Sights not to miss are the Real Alcazar, the cathedral and the Giralda Tower, but make sure you aren't in the tower at midday as the bell is deafening.

Portofino Thu 05-Sep-13 09:48:18

Plaza D'Espana, Christopher Columbus tomb in the cathedral, climb to the top of the Giralda, The alcazar palace, tapas eating in the old town. I love Seville.

Haven't been there for nearly ten years now, but, when you go, get a recommendation from a local for a bar that sells vino de naranja (wine made from oranges) - goes down v. nicely. Also, while the main cathedral is great to visit, in the typical gloomy/violent death type that is old Spanish Catholicism, avoid eating at the restaurants around the square unless you have a recommendation - most tend to be over-priced tourist traps.

Getting someone knowledgeable in the mudejar style and period to show you around a few hidden gems is also good. Should you wish to head outside of the city, there's a fast train to Cordoba. The old city there is well worth a visit.

Have a great time!

Absolutmum Wed 04-Sep-13 13:47:49

My friend and I are off to Seville in two weeks. It's a last minute choice of destination, we were due to go on a cooking/ drinking/ sight seeing trip to a place just outside Venice, but the lovely Secret Escapes cancelled it 18 days before departure, thanks. angry
So as all the child care/ dog sitter and school run substitutes were in place, we have come up with a trip to Seville instead!
I've ordered a guide book, but has anyone got any tips for sight seeing, shopping and eating please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now