Is Euro Disney is worth going to?

(124 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

mynameismskane Mon 02-Sep-13 22:20:31

...or should I wait a few years and take the kids to Disney in Florida? My children are 6 and 4 I'm just not sure if we (DH and I) should spend money on Euro Disney or wait until the kids are a bit older and go to Florida?!

Would love some advice?!

MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 16:24:59

Well, I will.only know if we will enjoy it by going so the saving has started. £1 a day in the money box, got three years min til we go so should save enough for the trip!

Anyone ever took the Eurostar from.Newcastle in? Is it ridiculously lengthy journey?

aftermay Tue 03-Sep-13 16:26:14

QED

MarianForrester Tue 03-Sep-13 16:34:22

Aftermay, I am with you, I thought it was awful, horrible, dirty, expensive and deeply depressing. Am scared to admit that in rl as feel like a freak cos of all these people saying how amazing it is.

slurredlines Tue 03-Sep-13 16:35:56

Aftermay, did your DD's enjoy it? I'm not majorly looking forward to it but I really hope my 5 and 3 yr old DDs love it.

Genuine question, btw, as I know I will feel much like you do, but plan to grit my teeth for the day we are there (we are actually going to Paris for 5 days but staying in the Marriott so I am hoping we can get away with one day for Disney and the rest a decent holiday).

MarianForrester Tue 03-Sep-13 16:41:15

Slurredlines that seems a better way to try it, we actually escaped to Paris one day on the train.

My dd wasn't really that fussed on it, and didn't like the manky dining room with birds flying about, long wait for food, queuing for rides and shopping for Disney tat were main activities. We were real disappointed, when with friend and kids with much excitement. Ds is never goinggrin

MarianForrester Tue 03-Sep-13 16:41:58

Sorry for butting in and answering other people's questions blush

MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 16:43:10

Hang on, there are birds flying roubd the dining room? Where? I have a massive bird phobia.

MarianForrester Tue 03-Sep-13 16:48:33

Can't remember which hotel,(have tried to blank it out) one of the cheaper ones where you get the bus in, maybe some kind of Western theme??

We got stuff out of the vending machine for breakfast and ate in our room, which was fine.

MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 17:01:11

Do any of the Hotels do Half Board? Then ita just lunch to worry about?

Floralnomad Tue 03-Sep-13 17:18:04

There is a half board option but you still need to book as its a kind of voucher thing that you can use in restaurants around the park and village ,its often not convenient to eat in the hotel because of the timing of the parades and shows .

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 17:21:52

If you go to any theme park in August it is dreadful, overcrowded, hugs queues, the already bad food worse for the number of people catered for.

We go out of season and its great (food at least hot), timing is everything

LeGavrOrf Tue 03-Sep-13 17:51:40

Perhaps it is one of those places where it is best to plan everything in advance. Not a place for a relaxed carefree holiday.

I know someone who went to Florida disney who booked her restaurants for the whole trip ages in advance. Not my idea of fun but she thought it was fantastic grin

anchovies Tue 03-Sep-13 19:22:52

We drove and in the Davey Crockett. Took some food and bought lots at the supermarkets. Ate fantastically because we forked out for the character brunch at inventions which cost a bomb but was worth it, ate at the Earl of Sandwich a couple of times and the rest of the time I knocked up beans/sausages/eggs whatever for the kids and dh and I ate yummy cheese/meats, fresh bread and red wine etc! Helps to know in advance about the food I think and plan accordingly - personally I wouldn't not go self catering because I know the overpriced food would upset me!

The place itself I just loved, I think it being just after Christmas probably helped. It "snowed" regularly and the whole place was magical. Understand it's not everyones cup of tea but I think the dcs having such a good time made me embrace it much more. Can't wait to go back now!

mynameismskane Tue 03-Sep-13 19:29:09

Thanks everyone. I appreciate ALL the comments made here and don't see it as negative for people like aftermay to tell her experience.

My big question now is when to go?! When is it quietist? And I want to avoid the Spanish/French school hols too!

Floralnomad Tue 03-Sep-13 20:01:27

We have been the week before Christmas ( think 16/20th ) lots of times and its never been too bad .very cold though and we've had lots of snow . This year we are going for a couple of days at the start of December for a change . If you can avoid the weekends ,Tuesday and Wednesday are generally quieter .

It's definitely quieter early in the week, even at the end of July (when we went).

Guitargirl Tue 03-Sep-13 20:35:15

I went in May half-term this year with the DCs aged 6 and 4. We stayed 2 nights (3 days in the park) in the Disneyland hotel (the one at the gates) and paid just under £800. I booked Eurostar separately and travelled premier class as when I booked for some reason the premier price was about £20 cheaper than the standard price. That means we had a meal at our table but if you do this you need to book the children's meals with Eurostar 2 days before you travel (not breakfast as breakfast is the same for adults and children).

We had a brilliant time and I would like to go back maybe in 2 years when they will be tall enough for the next stage of rides. BUT I do agree with others about the planning. The reason we had such a great time is because I did plan it like a military expedition. I booked character meals in advance so they met 7 or 8 different characters at our table over 2 meals - including the princesses. The holiday itself was booked nearly a year in advance. I took snacks and drinks with me. I knew which rides they could go on and which ones they would be too short for. I knew which rides I could take them on myself (i.e. 1 adult and 2 children). I checked the schedule for character appearances at the hotel so I knew when their favourites would be. I already knew which shows were best for their ages. The DCs had a ball and had no idea to what nth degree this trip was planned/manouvered.

The firework show at 11pm was fantastic but we learnt on the first night that waiting to get a spot near the front is a waste of time with little ones. People come with their kids on their shoulders right in front of you and will block your view. I was on my own with 2 young DCs so couldn't lift them both. On the second night we turned up 10 minutes before it started and stood WAY back and actually the view was better from the back and the light effects were more easily visible.

It rained heavily when we were in the queue for one ride, we were practically at the front of the queue and it was going to be the last ride we went on before getting the train home on our last day. They closed the ride because of the rain. I was well miffed, most people just left in disgust but I made a bit of a fuss. The guy asked me what ride we wanted to go on the most. DD's absolute favourite was the Peter Pan ride but we had already used our fastpasses for that day and the queue for that was horrendous. The guy wrote out an exit pass for us for that ride which meant we could just walk straight on to that as our last ride.

It was the absolute opposite of a relaxing holiday, it was bloody exhausting quite frankly. BUT it was magical and having had a rough time at work for a while leading up to it watching the DCs excitement was a welcome distraction.

cathers Tue 03-Sep-13 20:44:46

I would try and avoid Easter, Xmas weeks, July and August. Jan and feb can be bitter as the site is quite exposed. So basically sept to early dec or march or May. Early and mid week is quieter and cheaper too!

No need to go overboard with booking things, I set aside an evening the week before we go to write my packing list and email or ring Disney with any necessary dinner reservations or show reservations. It's very easy to to reduce costs, we have breakfast in the hotel and take away some rolls for lunch padded out with fruit or things from home, then buy the evening meal which can be pleasant if you choose a decent restaurant. The bad rep for food comes from impulse buying expensive, processed food from within the park IMO.

mynameismskane Tue 03-Sep-13 20:44:48

Right, so I've looked at prices and euro star tickets and self drive euro tickets show a BIG difference in price. If self drive, is it easy?

LeGavrOrf Tue 03-Sep-13 20:45:28

I think people who plan Disney holidays should get jobs managing huge projects. The person I know who went to Florida has spreadsheets and all sorts.

catinabox Tue 03-Sep-13 20:45:46

Go to Cornwall, go to the Eden Project the week of national Playday. Go to the Beach, go to a Water Park, Visit Tintagel, climb the biggest tallest hill you can find and look at the stars at night with doughnuts and a big flask of hot chocolate. Build dens in the woods, make giant balloons, collect shells, pick blackberries, race paper aeroplanes, have a bonfire and toast marshmallows on sticks you have whittled yourself, go to a carnival, go to the british museum, visit an indoor butterfly house, find a rope swing and swing on it, paddle in a river, bake cupcakes, dig a big hole, plant a tree, try skateboarding, have a treasure hunt, go on a 10 mile bike ride, visit the northern lights, have a ride in the biggest monster truck.......Don't go to Disney sad

getting hard hat now

Guitargirl Tue 03-Sep-13 21:00:53

LeGavrOrf - I do have a job managing large projects grin

catinabox - we have spent the summer holidays doing most of the things you have mentioned. Doesn't mean we can't like Disney too? Balance and all the rest of it...Anyway, each to her own...

LeGavrOrf Tue 03-Sep-13 21:03:11

So do I grin

Probably why I loathe planning anything when on holiday!

Floralnomad Tue 03-Sep-13 21:30:54

It's very easy to drive ,we live in Kent and I've done it as a day trip a few times ,about 2.5 hours drive the other side on very nice roads. I've done Eurostar twice and personally I'd rather drive .

RaspberryLemonPavlova Tue 03-Sep-13 21:33:53

catinabox we've done most of that. DD (13) spent the night on top of Scafell Pike last year in a bivvy bag. She went on a trip abroad with Scouts after we got back from Disney and swam in an alpine glacier fed lake and half a dozen other experiences.

But she still 'can't actually believe we went to Disney, I didn't think we would ever do that'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now