Is Euro Disney is worth going to?

(124 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

mynameismskane Mon 02-Sep-13 22:20:31

...or should I wait a few years and take the kids to Disney in Florida? My children are 6 and 4 I'm just not sure if we (DH and I) should spend money on Euro Disney or wait until the kids are a bit older and go to Florida?!

Would love some advice?!

MadeOfStarDust Tue 03-Sep-13 09:43:23

May half term is a good time to go - it is quieter then... but the weather has a chance of being good without being too hot..

Go! You will all love it. We went when dd1 was 4 and it was magical. If you are going outside of uk school holidays also check when the French and Spanish holidays are and try and avoid them too

LadyBryan Tue 03-Sep-13 09:57:49

Absolutely LOVE it. We've been three times in the last two years grin

We're lucky as DD is in private school so her holidays are different so we miss school hols and French/Spanish school hols.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time trying not to cry when your child/ren see their heroes wink

MCos Tue 03-Sep-13 10:05:17

We have been twice. Had been to DislandLand in California a few times previously. Similar experience, Park almost the same, Paris has most of the same rides.

If you can afford it, stay in one of the Disney hotels. That will allow you access to park one hour prior to public.
Watch for Kids go Free, or 4 nights for price of 3, type offers.

It is much better value off season.

I believe it is quite cold there November through March.
We went in April, and had beautiful weather (but it was quite cold the week prior)

We also went in May. May has lots of public holidays in France. Disneyland is VERY busy during these holidays.

I imagine the queues would be pretty long during school summer holiday. If you need to stick to school holidays, queues weren't so bad the week prior to Easter..

MadeOfStarDust Tue 03-Sep-13 10:17:15

The castle in DLRParis is the best of them all......

Mamatomanymunchkins Tue 03-Sep-13 10:17:57

Love it, love it, love it!!!!

We have 5DC - ages 11, 8, 5, 3 and 6 months, been to Euro Disney many times and all the children love it. Also been to Florida too but that was when we just had 2 DC.

Euro Disney is not too far to travel and is much more compact to get around, therefore IMO much easier with young children. We stayed in Davey Crockett Ranch this summer (only Disney hotel which could accommodate us all) and there was lots to keep us all occupied at the ranch too.

Florida is a long journey that's not great with little ones. When we have been we spent a lot of time driving between parks and spent thousands.

If I were you I would see if I could get a good deal at Euro Disney in a Disney hotel, then if you like the Disney experience, save up and go to Florida when DC older smile

Up to 40% off if you book before the end of September and go before Easter wink Dd1 has been asking to go for a couple of years. It's a lot of money for us, but will be going in February half term. Just trying to decide which hotel/travel combo.

Crowler Tue 03-Sep-13 10:40:29

I think it's a good idea to take the kids out of school if you're going to ED. I would also book on short notice as weather is IMPORTANT.

We loved Disneyland Florida (well, as much as one can) and I think it's far better than ED. But, I'd only do that with older kids - the flight is a killer.

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:04:10

Love eurodisney, we have been 7 times and can do it easily (November) for the £1000 mark. We go over in the tunnel using tescos vouchers and drive as it much cheaper

We have stayed at the Disneyland, the New York, the Newport, the sequoia, Davey crockets and one of the outside ones (can't remember which one)

Florida on the other hand cost us £12,000 summer of 2011! The age of our kids is fab for eurodisney and personally as Florida is expensive I would wait and save til they can go on most of the rides on the other parks.

Should say that the first time we went to Florida with the kids we went off peak and it was about £6,500!

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:05:16

Should say your kids age! My kids are getting too old!

MortifiedAdams Tue 03-Sep-13 11:07:29

Go now! Then, wait til your youngest is ten and do Florida but skip Disney. So so so much to do and you will have already done Disney (and the kids will be too old to appreciate the animals but big enough to do all the theme parks).

Thats my plan anyways (went to Disney Florida as a teen, never been to EuroDisney).

Am olannig on taking dd to Eurodisney aged four.

ChestyNut Tue 03-Sep-13 11:54:26

I've done euro disney and Florida.

Florida is far better, holiday of a lifetime.

Am desperately saving to go back grin

LadyBryan Tue 03-Sep-13 11:56:59

I see DLP and DW as two different types of holiday actually.

DLP is a short break - quick flight etc. Three days, back home. Perfect.

DW would be a major holiday and one we're going to wait for until DD is a touch older

celticclan Tue 03-Sep-13 12:16:35

Does it have to cost so much money?

I was planning on staying at Keycamp October half term, ferry and caravan less than £400. We mainly want to visit Paris but I thought perhaps we could visit Disney for 1 day and I thought that tickets for a family of 4 would probably cost around £100-150. Am I mistaken?

There is no way I would spend more than £1k on a trip to a theme park you can get proper holiday for that sort of money.

PommesFright Tue 03-Sep-13 12:32:22

Babylon can you link to anything relating to the campsite where you stayed?

Toohottohandle Tue 03-Sep-13 12:41:40

Yes we went beginning of aug for 3 nights was amazing grin
Dds are 8 and 4.5 years they both luved it had a great time especially the 4.5 yr old she luvs the princesses she luved meeting them and the other characters
Go for it!
It is pricey definetly worth it it was amazing we all luved it

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:45:29

celticcian seem to remember that tickets for eurodisney were about £36 per adult per day but I'm probably wrong!!

£1000 was the accommodation and tickets for 5 for usually 4 nights, its not cheap but more doable for small children than Florida

We are going back to Florida next year, it will be the 6th time for my husband and I, much cheaper without those pesky kids! (Channelling scooby doo)

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:46:18

Should add that 4 nights is plenty

hermioneweasley Tue 03-Sep-13 12:46:33

What ladybryan said.

Do wonder if any Disney execs have ever been to DLP - the service and attitude is so awful, so outside the Disney experience. We were once there on Xmas Eve and the only "cast member" who wished us a merry Christmas was English.

aftermay Tue 03-Sep-13 12:47:34

We went last week. It was a pile of poo. Branded poo, obviously. I need to rush now and I have no doubt you too will book and go and not listen to reason. I regret wasting the money on a grand total of 5 rides lasting less than 5 minutes in total. In two full days, including the extra 2 hours in the morning as we stayed at a Disney hotel. I'd say more but I don't want to waste my time (again!) smile

cathers Tue 03-Sep-13 12:58:04

We've been 4 times. And love it! Just booked 4 nights there for a pre christmas break. It's costing just under £1,000 for flights, Disney hotel and tickets for 4 of us. I find the whole Disney thing can be too much for a longer stay so Paris is ideal to get to quickly, O.D on Disney, then get out!

I actually preferred Euro to DW Florida. Florida was too hot, too busy and no escape from the theme parks, plus being very expensive now.

Practisingparent Tue 03-Sep-13 13:02:12

Iv been to both. Enjoyed Florida. We went to ED recently and had a terrible experience. However it was worst because it was still kids holidays, so long cues, also my children were too young to appreciate it, and got thoroughly over stimulated and tired, so a few tantrums too. You have to cue a long time for 'fastfood' thats overpriced junk, and you may not even get a seat or table!

I would consider going again when they are older but would prefer to go to florida, so its not just about going to a theme park.

Top tips:
Go low season
Use Deals or packages where its good value or
Camp
And take food with you!

RedHelenB Tue 03-Sep-13 13:02:15

We a;ways went in school holidays & had way more than 5 rides. if you think of the cost of Alton towers say I think it is competitively priced & you really do feel as though you are stepping into another land. First time we went I just remember dd1 (aged 5) slipping her hand into mine, looking at me with big eyes as we walked from the train station & saying "thank you"

Rufus43 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:03:47

Would not go near eurodisney in the holidays. We have been in November, hardly any queues especially if you use the Disney queuing system fastpass

LeGavrOrf Tue 03-Sep-13 13:06:47

I loathed it <miserable cow>

I went in January and I have never been so cold. It was bleak. And there was nowhere to buy decent food. I mistakenly assumed that as it was in France it wouldn't be full of junk food. I am no food snob but the choice there was dire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now