Is Euro Disney is worth going to?

(124 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

mynameismskane Mon 02-Sep-13 22:20:31

...or should I wait a few years and take the kids to Disney in Florida? My children are 6 and 4 I'm just not sure if we (DH and I) should spend money on Euro Disney or wait until the kids are a bit older and go to Florida?!

Would love some advice?!

RedHelenB Mon 02-Sep-13 22:25:39

Been 3 times for Halloween, Easter & summer = enjoyed them all. Not been to Florida, but if I was spending that amount of money would rather it wasn't a Disney holiday personally.

Madeyemoodysmum Mon 02-Sep-13 22:42:07

I've done euro Disney a few times for less than £1500 all in if your willing to take kids out of school. That's 3 nights in a decent Disney hotel

Mine loved it as did we.

Florida is a totally different experience but you pay for it, we have been saving for the last 3 years to go next year and it's costing over 4 k with out spending money!

But I'd say euro is worth it.

whatastar Mon 02-Sep-13 22:43:16

i took my 2 when they were 5 & 6 years old , they are now late teens and still say its the best holiday they ever had , and they cant wait to take their own kids there one day ,we went over new year it was freezing ,snow up to your knees ,wet all day but they still loved it .

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 02-Sep-13 22:45:03

Yes we all loved it! Been twice and planning in going back next year.

FriedSprout Mon 02-Sep-13 22:45:35

I hated all things Disnet until I went grin

Been 3 times now and dd loves it almost as much as me!

RaspberryLemonPavlova Mon 02-Sep-13 22:47:03

We've just been this summer, DCs aged 10, 13 and 15 and had a fab time. We camped nearby, got annual passes and spent quite a lot of time there. It was 34 degrees plus most of the time we were there!

MmeLindor Mon 02-Sep-13 22:48:25

We grudgingly booked, to give the DC the experience, and were completely surprised by the fact that we all LOVED it. Definitely worth doing.

We went this summer. It was great.

Dancergirl Mon 02-Sep-13 22:52:23

It's brilliant and so much easier to get to than Florida!

BTW, the Magic Kingdom is EXACTLY THE SAME in Paris as in Florida. Lots of other theme parks in Florida though.

racingheart Mon 02-Sep-13 22:54:31

Go. It's only a train ride away and your children are exactly the right age. Our two loved it at that age. It was magical for them.

TheCricketWidow Mon 02-Sep-13 22:56:12

It's amazing grin
Definitely go, you'll love it.

It's brilliant, well worth it.

Especially if you can get a reduced price entry voucher off eBay.

Do you have a caravan? If so drive, and stay In the camping car park for 20euros per night. Full toilet and shower facilities available too.

We did two nights and three days for four of us for less than £120 last year!!

GangstersLoveToDance Mon 02-Sep-13 23:01:18

We went in March, when the dc were 5 and nearly 3. It was fantastic! Definitely worth going when they are little.

We stayed in a Disney Hotel (Sequoia Lodge) for 4 nights BnB, 5 day park entry. I booked it when they had their 'two nights free' offer on. For two adults and two children in the main lodge (you pay extra to be next to the lake) it cost £670, which I thought was brilliant value.

We drove from Wales (1000 miles round trip) and stayed in two hotels as stop overs, and got the ferry...total cost of petrol, two stopovers and ferry was around £350.

So, around £1000 for everything, including travel. We spent another £1000 as spending money over the five days...but we didn't really budget, we bought what meals and gifts we wanted, did a day trip into Paris etc etc. I reckon we could have done it with about half the spending money, if we'd been more careful.

So, in total, cost around £2k. It's expensive...but for what the adults kids get out of it, also very worth it! I would go again tomorrow!

Lilacroses Mon 02-Sep-13 23:01:54

We loved it. Took Dd when she was 6 and it was magical, exciting, well organised, clean and good value for money.

anchovies Mon 02-Sep-13 23:04:34

We went last new year. I expected to hate it but it was by far the best holiday we've ever had!

Whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 02-Sep-13 23:38:47

Another one who loved it. Kids aged 6 and 3. Well worth going to see my dd2 so excited to see Minnie Mouse. Just accept it for what it is and enjoy it,

Snailonthewhale Mon 02-Sep-13 23:39:25

I have been to the Florida one many times, and the Paris one 4 times, and I would say that the Florida one does have the edge. It is cleaner, the staff are more cheerful and the sun is pretty much always shining. That said, the Paris one is also amazing and when you consider the difference in costs it's definitely worth going to.

My advice though is go when the weather is nice. Disney is crap in the cold, especially with all the standing around in queues. I was there last week on apparently the only day it rained all summer. Pissed it down all day, it was 13 degrees, and we were dressed for summer. We are all ill now as a result! We were unlucky with it being summer but I would definitely plan your trip for the warmer months.

Awomansworth Mon 02-Sep-13 23:51:46

We've just done 5 days with our two 5 year olds. We stayed in hotel near to park. We all had a fab time, and the temp was in the 80's every day.

It cost us £1400 - Hotel, park entrance, half board meal plan and Eurostar tickets.

We took 500 euros spending money but only spent 350 and that included 100 euros each for the boys to spend in the Disney shops.

Your choice really - obviously the parks are bigger in Florida, but for me Disney is Disney and at 5 I don't believe our two would notice much of a difference to be honest.

Lj8893 Mon 02-Sep-13 23:55:21

I went on a college trip when I was 16 and loved it, it was amazing!!!

I'm expecting a little girl in October and can't wait untill she's old enough to take!!!

mynameismskane Tue 03-Sep-13 08:14:42

Thanks everyone! I do want to go to Euro Disney, but when I look at the cost I am a bit 'arghh'! But I think I should book for next year if I can find a great deal. Any tips would be gratefully received! And ideas on which hotel to stay at :-)

Backtobedlam Tue 03-Sep-13 08:26:14

I'd do Eurodisney now and save Florida for when they're older. I did Eurodisney first and thought it was amazing, but DH who did it the other way round kept comparing the two, obviously Florida is much bigger and better (and more costly). The little ones won't know any different though, and Paris is easy to get to, less travelling and just as magical at that age.

soverylucky Tue 03-Sep-13 08:52:03

watching with interest. Would love to take mine but it seemed very expensive when I looked - more than the prices quoted here. Can someone give me a clue as to where/who/how to book to get it cheaper.

Lovecat Tue 03-Sep-13 09:00:05

I did Florida first and consequently HATED Eurodisney with a passion.

Rude people, horrendous queues for everything (and totally disorganised, making the queues much longer, ie the train that goes around the park, they would only let 20 people on, despite it being half-empty, so we had to queue for nearly an hour watching empty trains going past that we weren't allowed on!), half the rides weren't working (we went 3rd week of July so not exactly low season), even with Fastpasses we only got to go on 4 rides all day because of queue length - oh, and no shade in the horrendous queues on an incredibly hot day. Filthy toilets in Frontierland too.

I think that my Florida experience was so good that it gave me v high expectations of Paris, so it was a total let down. If you go there first, you'll probably like it. If we were to go again we'd go out of season and stay in a Disney Hotel so that we could get in earlier and not have to queue so damn much... (top tip, if you're not staying on the park, get the train there - it costs €15 to park your car there! (we were gobsmacked, never been charged for car parking in a theme park before...) Also the train is right by the entrance gates whereas using the carpark means you'll end up with a long walk.

Went to Parc Asterix, however, and had the time of our lives (car park there 'only' €8 and a much better experience all round).

Huskylover1969 Tue 03-Sep-13 09:30:16

we have been to florida when dd was 6 ,7 and 9
we loved it everytime and the first time we went it was cheaper than going to euro disney
we have always gone in october and its cooler quiter and cheaper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now