Self catering best?

(7 Posts)
BonaDea Mon 02-Sep-13 12:41:30

Looking at booking a holiday in the second half of October and will most likely head to canaries for sun and sand.

Ds is 5.5 months so will be around 7 months when we go. I have been thinking that booking a nice villa or apartment with either shared or private pool will be better than any sort of hotel or all incl set up at that age. Do you agree?

My main concern would be evening sleeping. Ds goes to bed at 7 so I think it makes most sense that we could put him down then cook and eat our evening meal after he's asleep. With a hotel where we would go out to eat, we'd have to have him sleeping beside us in the pram or awake and grumpy at dinner time which sounds stressful to me! We can always go out for nice lunches with him in tow (and poss see about getting a cook in for one or two nights to make a meal - some nice self catering places offer this).

I guess the other option would be a small hotel where we could leave him in the room and have the monitor with us while we eat in the restaurant but I'm not really comfortable with that idea unless I knew he was literally just a few metres away.

I guess I think villa makes more sense but not enamoured with the idea of having to cook or prep food every night on hols!

celticclan Mon 02-Sep-13 14:11:13

I think self catering. Have your main meal at lunch time in a restaurant and then have a light meal like bread and cheese in the evening as that doesn't really require any preparation.

Most schools have half term week commencing 28th October so you will get a better deal if you go before then.

Bunbaker Mon 02-Sep-13 17:35:10

The price of holidays during the second half of October rocket because of half term. If you don't have to go during the school holidays I would avoid it. As celticclan has pointed out most half terms are w/c 28th October, but some LEAs have the week before.

In answer to your question I would go self catering.

BonaDea Mon 02-Sep-13 19:19:25

Balls. Hadn't even thought of half term! Thanks for the replies tho.

indyandlara Wed 04-Sep-13 10:02:02

Scottish schos will be on half term from around the 12th of October.

indyandlara Wed 04-Sep-13 10:02:25

Or Scottish schools even...

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 04-Sep-13 11:30:32

We always choose self catering as we foudn it easier with a baby and now the children are older it is still better for us, they can go to sleep and we can sit outside knowing they are safe.

I would never leave a baby in a hotel room with a moniter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now