Where are the exits on planes/airports?

(6 Posts)
specialsubject Tue 03-Sep-13 13:43:55

this is in the nature of flying. Recognising that this is a real issue (I'm not saying 'snap out of it' obviously!) you need to either not fly or get some help to try to deal with the fear.

plans and planes can always be changed and no amount of research will stop that. It's not fair on you, the crew and the other passengers to put yourself through this.

Bunbaker Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:52

It depends entirely on the airport and the size of the aircraft. Larger and busier airports like Manchester nearly always use the jet walkways for boarding, unless you are flying in a small plane. Often the airport at the destination is too small to have jet walkways and use stairs and buses.

mummymeister Sun 01-Sep-13 23:11:37

I hate flying so I take drugs - my doctor is really understanding of my fear and it has helped tremendously to keep me calm. if you tell the stewards on board they will also be very helpful. if you are flying with someone, get up get yourself off and let them bring all the luggage etc with them so that you can get to the front. I board last with no hand luggage and get off first whilst DH and DC's do their stuff around me. remember planes can be changed so if you get it in your mind that on this particular flight x will happen and it doesn't it will make you more anxious. just try and see if you can speak to people when you are there. good luck.

The cheaper airlines are less likely to use the walkway and more likely to have a bus transfer, which usually means stairs at both ends of the plane.
But then you could be stuck on the bus for ages.

Have you tried having any CBT / hypnotherapy for this?

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-13 15:56:34

It will vary even within a single airport. At Gatwick sometimes there is a front walkway from the terminal, sometimes front and back , sometimes you go by bus onto runway and board by steps, one set or two. If the aircraft is smallish ie 150 passengers or less then often there will only be one point of access . Would you be better booking seats at the front ?

happyoverhere Sun 01-Sep-13 15:51:59

Hi, I hate flying and really hate being trapped in a plane or any other confined space. We have just been abroad and on the way there I was delighted as you could exit from either end of the plane down the stairs so I could escape from the confines of the plane as quick as possible.

However, on the way back when we landed in the UK everyone had to exit from the front of the plane via a walkway, as we were seated at the back I had to wait forever and was very near to having a major wobble.

I have to travel abroad again shortly and am really keen to know what I can expect at different airlines and airports before I book my tickets. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this information? I have tried Googling without success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now