so shorthaulers where was a success for your summer holsor not so - looking for inspiration.........

(33 Posts)

This year we went to menorca and I am keen to book somewhere for next year on recommendation - I really fancy a really good all inclusive because this year it worked really well for our family but wouldlike somewhere you can walk out and explore on an evening and quite close to a paradise beach. Perhaps Greece but nowhere where I have to get on a plane with the 18-30 crew........ enlighten me to your successes and not so succeses

nannyafrica Thu 12-Sep-13 21:19:28

Azores, The main island Ponta Delgada. Hire a house with a pool and a car. You could go whale watching, swim in hot springs, swim in the sea and the many lakes on the island. Horse riding, canoeing, hiking.
Our flights were £299pp that was London to Porto Portugal for 2 nights, flight to Azores 10 nights (you could visit one of the many islands also) flight to Lisbon for 2 nights then back to London. Our car hire was £250.

bump.

Kowalski Fri 06-Sep-13 16:13:58

We went AI to H10 Rubicon Palace in Lanzarote; would definitely recommend it. Good food, branded drinks, drinkable wine on tap! Kids clubs were good (only gripe I would have is that DD at 3 had to go to the baby club - she was bored stiff so only went once). Staff were all friendly.

It is a bit far out, about 40 mins walk to the main town (Playa Blanca) but there was a nice beach with pedaloes etc about 15 mins walk away.

I have to say we preferred the first week as it got too busy the second week (when the majority of schools broke up).

ExcuseTypos Fri 06-Sep-13 16:05:19

I'd be interested in hearing about Sardinia as well, Mignotnette.

It would be just DH and I as dc are off elsewhere next year, so it's just the two of us. I cannot wait.

littlemisswise Fri 06-Sep-13 15:56:26

We stayed at the Viva Menorca when it was new. Our kids were little they are massive 18&16 year olds now.

We really love Cala D'Or in Majorca. It's much, much nicer than Sa Coma. We don't do AI though so can't recommend that but as a resort it is gorgeous.

octaviarose Fri 06-Sep-13 15:48:36

Where do you suggest in Sardinia please mignotnette?

AryaUnderfoot Thu 05-Sep-13 18:04:28

Thanks for that. I think we'll wait until DH's work calendar is released for next year and then look at which hotel offers the best deal.

We hired a car for 3 days last year and visited both Mahon and Ciutadella. I think we'd look to do something similar.

Mum2Fergus Thu 05-Sep-13 16:56:57

Yeah...plenty to see and do...our favourite was L'anchora(sp?) pizza gorgeous and great selection for kids (and didn't all include chips n beans!). Would recommend the bus into Cituedella(sp? again lol).

AryaUnderfoot Thu 05-Sep-13 16:27:58

Indyandlara, strangely the AI through FC for Mestral works out cheaper than sC through Thomson (or so we found). If you do book, and want to be on the quiestst side of the complex, ask for a room on the Llebeig side. They are away from the playgorund and bar which is where everyone tends to congregate in the evening.

Tiredmama I have done two HVs and have loved them both. With a teenager, a HV is probably a better bet than many of the other hotels in Menorca, as the island tends to attract families with younger children. HVs are really good for teenagers. However, I would only ever go to an HV during the more expensive weeks (such as school holidays). If you are going to come across really antisocial behaviour from large groups, it tends to be during the cheaper weeks. Often, the worst culprits are part of wedding parties, and I don't think they do weddings at Menorca, so you're probably fairly safe. I've only ever been to them in August, and haven't had a problem. They certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea though.

Mum2Fergus I'll definitely keep that option open then! Did you find many places to eat out in and around the resort?

Mum2Fergus Thu 05-Sep-13 15:49:42

Arya, it was October when we went and it was lovely! We'd no AC but each room had those huge fans which worked a treat.

indyandlara Thu 05-Sep-13 14:34:53

Aryaunderfoot, that is great to hear. I really liked the look of it and the quiet resort etc, I just don't want the groups you mentioned. I will pm you if I can work out how. We are going to look properly tonight. I'm getting it cheaper with FC for AI too.

Tiredemma Thu 05-Sep-13 09:36:35

Im looking at the HV in Menorca for next year- would you not recommend it.

Im trying to find a place that will suit all of us- I will have DS1 (13). Ds2 (10) and DD1 (will be 10 months old)

AryaUnderfoot Thu 05-Sep-13 09:31:46

indyandlara we did Mestral in 2012 sandwiched between HVs in 2011 and 2013. Trust me, the 'clientele' at the Mestal were totally different from that at teh HV. Although it was all British, there was a mixture of AI and self-catering, and most of the families had much smaller children. There also wasn't the massive family groups (20+) that you tend to get at HVs and that tend to be the cause of any trouble. I think 5 is the perfect age for the Mestral. I wrote a long review on TA after visiting - if you send me a PM I will point you in the right direction (although all the apartments have been refurbished since we stayed).

Mum2Fergus I have looked at the Talyot on several occasions as it's really close to the water park that my son loved. The only thing that puts me off is the fact that the apartments don't have air conditioning and we'd be going in August. What time of year did you go and how did you find the temperatures in the apartments?

Mum2Fergus Wed 04-Sep-13 18:36:34

We liked the Talyot in Menorca...it's a Thomsons place so loads going on for kids...

indyandlara Wed 04-Sep-13 09:57:14

We had been looking at Mestrel but the all British thing is putting me off now. We had a bad experience at a HV a few years ago which really put us off. Hubby fancies an island this year and we thought Menorca. Daughter will be 5. She would probably like a kids' club but it doesnt have to be one on every day. Did Magic Life a few times 6/7 years ago but not sure they are what they used to be.

Any suggestions?

AryaUnderfoot Mon 02-Sep-13 22:04:56

Thanks for the heads up about the Viva vs Paradise. That being the case, we may look at the Viva Tropc in Alcudia instead. We're on a strict budget for next year, and the Viva hotels do look very nice.

We stayed at the Mestral and Llebeig apartments in Santo Tomas on an AI basis. Our kids were 5 and 2 at the time and it was perfect for that age group - there was a lovely splash park, playground and there were two decent sized pools as well. We booked through FC, which was cheaper than the self-catering option through Thomson. It is all British. The food was absolutely fantastic.

Santo Tomas is a beautiful little resort with an absolutely lovely beach. However, a lot of the hotels there are now AI, so there is not a huge choice for going out to local restaurants. It was great as a base for hiring a car and visiting other resorts, but there's little there as a resort in itself (apart from the beach).

Our main criticism was that the apartment was a little tatty. However, they've refurbished all of them this year, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I liked Punta Prima, as it had another beautiful beach and was a very short drive from Mahon - which is a lovely town. My friend stayed at Insotel Punta Prima and really enjoyed it.

mignonette Mon 02-Sep-13 21:35:21

I took DH, DS (aged 17) and his 17 year old GF on a self catering 10 day break in early to mid April staying in an apartment hotel and it cost less than £900 plus car hire. Bargainous and we had an amazing amazing time.

I have been to Sardinia 14, 15 times staying in many different places from agriturismos to hotels, villa's to private rentals. If you avoid the Summer high season and visit either Easter or May BH, it's fine. Oh and Easter we always have hot weather-lying semi naked on the beach hot weather.

yes please link - hmmm sartdinia mentioned earlier it looked £megas.

viva menorca cheapest with jet 2 we found

when you toured around menorca where there any other fab resorts - I was considering the royal son bou oooo another thing about the viva although its international when we were there apart from a few Spanish everyone was british - nice british - always always got a sunbed - well 4 actually without daft reserving at daft oclock.

mignonette Mon 02-Sep-13 21:18:17

Sardinia all the way for me! There are all inclusive resorts (Forte Village) in the south although I don't use them. Also love Corsica and Sicily. I go to one of more of these islands every year. Sardinia is so magical, not overpopulated w/ Brits and lovely for kids. The colour of the sea will bring tears to your eyes- it did me.

ihatethecold Mon 02-Sep-13 21:14:46

Can you link to these places please?

They sound lovely. grin

yes looked at other vivas as you mention but I am worried about sharing the plane with the yobs.

If your self catering the paqradise is nearer themarina but if your all inclusive based on people we spoke to on holiday who had been to both they felt the viva was far better and as they have extended paradise in last yr they felt they were trying to squeeze to many in. Obviously ive only stayed at viva and it was ai but believe me my dh is a fussy pants eater and I am the opposite and the food was totaslly outstanding - dh was elated the sausages were british bangers for breakfast lol - the price when we booked was same for AI at viva that the paradise was offering halfboard so it was a no brainer for us - our dc are 10 and 6 so it pitched perfect for us and entertainment was done by 10.45 so a nice retfu break too and never had to cu canteen style or anything like that .

AryaUnderfoot Mon 02-Sep-13 17:21:48

Funnily enough, it is either Viva Menorcca or the Paradise Club and Spa that we are going to book for next year.

Have you looked at any of the other hotels inn the Viva chain? There are a number in Majorca as well. We looked at the Viva Tropic in Alcudia, as it's ideally located in the resort and there is a beautiful beach there. It is a little bit cheaper than Menorca, but that's on a self-catering basis.

When we last went to Menorca, we hired a car for 3 days. Hubby found it a really easy island to drive around - particularly compared to Greece - as the roads are so good and the driving generally pretty sedate. It was lovely to visit the larger towns and the water park in the north of the island (Cala'n Forcat I think).

Awww thanks I will revisit the cala bona thing , we stayed at the Viva Menorca in Cala'n Bosch it was fabulous and about a ten min walk to the beach possibly 15 - dh wants to go back and has said about hiring a car so perhaps the walk wouldn't be so bad lol, I like to go somewhere different though and agree yes apart from the out of my price range sensatori lot the ai on Greece doesn't look amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now