Warm weather in October - where?

(13 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Tue 27-Aug-13 15:05:06

DS1's half term starts Sat 19th October, and we are looking for a week in the sun.

Our must haves are:

*Near a beach, which must be sandy for sandcastle building purposes as DS1 would spend the entire week on the beach given the choice
*An apartment, with at least one bedroom (preferable within a complex with pool, amenities, restaurant etc)
*Reliably warm weather for the time of year
*Four hours or less flight time

Does anyone have any recommendations please? We had thought about Egypt, but it seems an unsafe option at the moment. I was also thinking of Cyprus, but DH thinks its a bit too close to Syria for his liking. The Canaries are an option, but I am not sure whether the sand is golden and soft enough for us.

Any suggestions please?

asandwichshort Tue 27-Aug-13 17:49:10

Canaries good option - we go every year at oct half term! quite a few of the resorts have golden sands shipped in from the Sahara I'm told! Flamingo beach playa blanca lanzarote would fulfil all of your requests. Lovely beach/safe bay directly in front of complex. We going to Fuerteventura this year which I hope is as nice as Lanzarote!!

Watching with interest as we are also looking for similar in Oct

Yonihadtoask Tue 27-Aug-13 20:05:13

Lanzarote - Playa Blanca - would be ideal for you.

There are a couple of nice beaches, golden sand.

Also Fuerteventura has beautiful beaches.

Not all the beaches in Tenerife have the black sand (but really, it's not so bad - my toddler DS ate a lot of it!>!).

I think Egypt would be too risky right now. Even though they say that Sharm is safe - dodgy.

I really love the Canary Islands - have been many times.

specialsubject Tue 27-Aug-13 21:07:41

black sand is just the same except a bit hotter. Works fine for sandcastles. :-)

GeorginaWorsley Wed 28-Aug-13 21:37:45

Agree Playa Blanca in Lanzarote excellent

adifferentwoman Sun 08-Sep-13 08:12:05

Watching with interest - looking like Playa Blanca, Lanzarote for us same week. Was thinking about Turkey as love the country and there's more to see and do there as well as nice beaches, but the Syria thing occurred to us too. Same with Cyprus...

ApplesinmyPocket Tue 10-Sep-13 08:53:18

The Algarve (2hr 30 flight time) has fantastic sandy beaches and lovely clear sea. We always go to Albufeira (the Old Town much nicer than the Strip, very pretty and full of atmosphere) and even in October has plenty going on. The town beach is nice anyway but there are many others accessible by local bus within 3 miles or so.

The weather in early October is perfect for us - warm enough to be in swimwear most of the time, cardigan for the evenings. Though by the 19th it will be a little less reliable.

In October I'd go:

- Formentera, which has some of the most beautiful beaches in the Med, usually unbearably busy in August, but must be paradise in October.

- San Vito Lo Capo, Sicily. Or Taormina (Sicily)

- Ischia

- Naxos, Greece. Fly into Myknos and then it's just 1 hr ferry. Beautiful beaches.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 10-Sep-13 22:05:28

This is our fourth year in a row to Tenerife. We stay in a wonderful complex but it's a bit removed from the beach so not ideal for you. The Costa Adeje area is nice, you should look for something near the Del Duque beach which has nice sand.
Temperature is perfect, late twenties usually ( fingers crossed it will be as good this year)

fussychica Sun 15-Sep-13 15:12:35

Playa Blanca, Lanzarote - sortedgrin

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 16-Sep-13 12:13:37

adifferentwoman - the Turkish resorts are nearly 1,000 miles away from Syria so there is nothing to worry about. I would go there tomorrow if I could, I love it there smile

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 16-Sep-13 13:19:39

I meant to update a few weeks ago, but couldn't have. We decided on Fuerteventura in the end. A lovely apartment complex type thing near the beach in Corralejo. really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now