Crete or Kefalonia

(11 Posts)
Lemonfizz Tue 27-Aug-13 12:34:55

Which is best for family of 4. Teenage girls (16), would like to be near a sandy beach, pretty town or harbour. Few tavernas and restaurants. Would prefer b and b or maybe half board. Really want to be able to eat out in the evenings and not tied to a hotel. Also tied to summer hols so come on please recommend somewhere fab!!!

girlywhirly Tue 27-Aug-13 15:07:33

We are going to Skala, Kefalonia in two weeks time, our fourth time. We stay at Nine Muses, just across the road from the beach which is sandy but has stony stretches. (Use neoprene swim shoes.) It is a small resort, but there are lots of restaurants and several bars, plus most hotels are happy to have non residents use their bars and restaurants. It isn't a clubbing sort of place, and I wonder if it would be too quiet for your DD's although hotels do Greek nights and quizzes, and have cabaret nights. If you have accommodation in Scala itself you can walk to all the bars and restaurants (and have a sneaky peek in Veronica's jewellers on the way past!)

I don't think there are any budget airlines to Kefalonia yet, so you'd be best to get a package deal: on the plus side, getting off the plane and out through the airport is very quick. They can only land one plane at a time, so the baggage handling and everything else is speedy.

Look in Thomsons brochures or online for Nine Muses and the hotel website.

Lemonfizz Tue 27-Aug-13 15:33:12

Nine muses is the hotel I've been looking at. Seems to be just what we want. Hope you have a good time and let me know what you think.
The only problem is I can't book for ages yet due to work holiday rules and I'm worried it will be booked up by the time work have agreed dates. Need to have a few choices so can get sorted as soon as I can.
What other places did you look at?

girlywhirly Wed 28-Aug-13 10:12:27

Lemon, I presume you are looking to book for next year? Nine Muses is exclusively Thomsons. We usually book a few months in advance as it is a popular hotel (lots of repeat bookings) and not very big, also they do weddings so can get full. I would have thought if you booked for the school summer hols you would be OK booking January, or earlier if you wish, you could do a low cost split deposit (some money down to secure the booking, then the rest of the deposit a few weeks later.)

We didn't look at any other hotels in Scala TBH, although Thomson have acquired the Makis hotel just along from Nine Muses and have brought it up to their standard (also B+B but less expensive) Amanda who runs the Nine Muses cocktail bar has been inside and said it looks very nice. I guess the breakfast will not be as extensive as the Nine Muses one.

MissDD1971 Wed 28-Aug-13 10:20:36

I can't remember where I sayed in Kefalonia but I hated it generally (another story).

Argostoli (capital) is AWFUL a concrete mess and full of cruise ships IIRC.

There's some pink beach (Myrtle Beach??) which is nice.

don't listen to some travel agents who say hotel/apartments are 5 minutes from the beach - we were told ours was 5-10 minute walk from the beach - we were at top of bloody mountain, car was only means of transport but not the walk they told us about! I found it a bit chilly early September.

Love Crete - you have more there. Go near Chania, gorgeous. Can't think of resorts but Cretan Palace have good hotels. Capital there (Heraklion sp?) is dire but nice for Knossos Palace. Teen girls may find a tad boring. Souda Bay/Samaria Gorge are nice. You can do a walk through the gorge.

girlywhirly Wed 28-Aug-13 13:43:47

Argostoli was completely destroyed in the earthquake of 1953, rebuilding had to be quick and cheap as possible, so concrete was used. This has the ability to flex a bit, especially when buildings are restricted in height as they have to be by law now. It's a port, it always has been, so yes there will be cruise ships. It's not a big island, they're not going to turn away tourists.

Seriously, Lemon, if you think your DD'S will cope with lazy days on the beach or at the pool, dinner out in the evening, and a few excursions/trips sightseeing, go for Kefalonia. If they would prefer wall to wall entertainment and possibly more chances to meet their own age group, you might do better in Crete. I've never been to Skala during the summer hols, so I don't know how many teens go there, I'll have to ask Amanda at Nine Muses.

MissDD1971 Wed 28-Aug-13 17:19:42

girlywhirly - I didn't know it was destroyed or how/how much the rebuild cost.

Can't you go to Zante from Kefalonia? as day trip

I just found it yuck to look at!

But then I had a ghastly time there as was breaking up with a boyfriend of mine right then so a paradise island would've looked like hell. LOL

I went to Skala last year with dd1 who was 17 at the time. We had a lovely time. The beach is pebbly rather than sandy. Zante and Kos have nicer beaches but much more touristy, so Skala was better for us for that reason. We were happy with tavernas and bars for nightlfe, and the only teens we saw were with their parents playing cards etc in bars over a fe cocktails (as were we!).

Not been to Crete so can't compare, sorry.

girlywhirly Thu 29-Aug-13 08:39:57

MissDD, sorry you had a crap time due to splitting up with your boyfriend. I think you can get the car ferry from Poros, along the coast from Skala to Zante. Funnily enough, DH and I didn't like Zante and we did do an excursion to see the island, it just seemed a bit featureless and not as green as Kefalonia.

Scala can't be that bad, Simon Pegg was there a couple of weeks ago.

That geezer from Shaun of the Dead goes there a lot, or so the lady on the coach from the airport told us. She also said that Prince William and Kate Middleton had been and somebody else who I have forgotten.

girlywhirly Thu 29-Aug-13 11:09:45

Johnny Depp has holidayed in Fiskardo with his family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now