Tenerife with a toddler

(9 Posts)
theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 30-Aug-13 13:25:40

Costa Adeje is very nice. The Del Duque beach is gorgeous and there is a little area to walk around, then if you head towards the Las Americas direction there are a number of shops and cheaper restaurants. There is only one or two streets once you get to Las Americas that are unpleasant and worth avoiding, the rest is brilliant. This will be our 4th year in a row so we like it smile.

If you get a seafront hotel then you won't need a car. I'd bring a car seat along, I think we may even just have brought a booster for DS at that age, but I can't remember.

Definitely bring the buggy. There is a mumsnetter who runs babysitting agency in Tenerife, if you were interested I can try to find the details and PM you. We used her when DS was younger and had made a wee friend at the resort and she looked after both of them over lunch while we went out for a bit.

Yonihadtoask Thu 29-Aug-13 08:27:51

A buggy is a good idea. Even if you don't use it much at home - there can be a lot of walking. Plus is useful on an evening, if you want to go and sit and have a quiet drink somewhere, DC can nap in the buggy (and can't run around!)

misshoohaa Wed 28-Aug-13 20:32:31

Just returned from a break there, Costa Adeje has everything you need , a few hills and parking is not great but if you have a pool at your resort/villa and the beach within walking distance then no hire car needed.

Taxi from airport to Adeje should be about 30-35 euros. We took our own seat as we had advice the hire car ones were pretty old but if your only doing the airport runs it should be fine.

Idespair Wed 28-Aug-13 20:22:59

Costa Adeje is lovely.

MiaSparrow Wed 28-Aug-13 20:15:28

Thanks so much Yoni all of this is brilliant advice. Yes, I was thinking about Los Cristianos or Costa Adeje as we've seen some nice resorts there. Great news about the buses - that really puts my mind at ease. Maybe we'll bring the buggy and a Trunki.

Yonihadtoask Wed 28-Aug-13 08:17:39

Puerto de la Cruz is lovely. But you won't be able to go in the sea -as it is too rough. Also there are only a couple of really tiny beaches. There is however a large 'lido' - it's a few euros entrance fee.

For ease of getting around without a car youwould probably be wise to - choose somewhere in the main resorts. As specialsubject says, out of season, even PDLA isn't packed out. It isn't my favourite place - but go a little way either side - to Los Christianos or Costa Adeje and it's much nicer. Up the coast in Los Gigantes is nice too. Small resort.

Buses are great - v reasonably priced and frequent up and down the coast, and into the main towns. There is a bus station just a short walk away from the main part of PDLA. Taxis are cheap enough also - but dn't hold your breath about a child car seat.

If you check out tripadvisor - there are pages and pages of chat about Tenerife and the Canaries in general.

MiaSparrow Tue 27-Aug-13 17:38:32

Thanks so much special that's really reassuring. And I hadn't even thought about getting around by bus! x

specialsubject Tue 27-Aug-13 12:55:38

Only the real centre of Las Americas is nasty, and even that tends to die off outside August. Look to the north of the centre for the Adeje area, if you can find somewhere to the seaward side of the motorway it will be flat. Above the motorway has stunning views but is obviously very hilly. Right by the motorway isn't a brilliant idea but I don't think the accommodation is actually that close.

no need for taxis in that bit - easy wide pavements and Tenerife has a good bus service.

or if you are less fussed about weather, head to the Puerto de La Cruz area.

MiaSparrow Tue 27-Aug-13 08:52:42

Hi all,
We're thinking about doing a last minute holiday mid-September to Tenerife. It'll just be me, DP and DD, who's 2.6.

Any recommendations? Avoiding the really touristy/British areas if poss. We'd love the beach/resort but also be able to wander into town too.

Also, any tips on getting around? We've never been so no idea how close everything will be in terms of bringing buggy, etc. We won't be hiring a car but what's the deal with car seats/booster seats in taxis over there? Are there different rules re taking a toddler. Obvs will research all of this but thought I'd ask on here first in case someone's just been and can tell me any useful first-hand tips!

Thanks in advance. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now