Anyone up for a 'find me the perfect villa' challenge??

(37 Posts)
petitdonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 21:18:00

Looking for a villa for next year but there is SO much online, it's sending me doolally. Thought I'd try mumsnet instead to see if anyone can recommend somewhere.

So, we are looking for:

- Beach holiday in Europe- early August for sunshine.
- villa with a pool that will sleep 9 (5 bedrooms) - two families
- preferably with a housekeeper who possibly would prepare breakfast.
- walking distance to the beach and (crucially) a selection of restaurants/ beach bars.
- ideally £4000 per week total. (Could push up to 5)

I think that's a healthy budget but all of the villas I fall in love with are around 8-10k per week which is just too much. We are looking for a 'luxury' type place. We went to the Caribbean earlier this year and the villa was perfect but flights were extortionate and really drove up the cost of the holiday, we also only had one restaurant/ bar nearby so spent money on cabs. (Really don't want fancy restaurants, just chilled places we can go with the five children aged 5-10)

Anyone? I'm hoping just one person will think 'I know exactly the place'!!

Miffytastic Fri 23-Aug-13 21:10:52

have you tried owners direct? I've just had a mooch for the Pollensa area of Mallorca

this one has chef service : http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/B852.htm?src=LS

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/B3725.htm?src=LS
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/B9493.htm?src=LS
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/B3581.htm?src=LS

If anyone wants to help me with my villa search too you're most welcome I am going round in circles... I'll bump the thread up... thank you :D

magentastardust Thu 22-Aug-13 12:03:38

You also get some lovely villas on golf resorts in Spain and Portugal that are very luxurios and contemporary and very reasonably priced. However you would probably need car hire unless you were happy to stay at the on site restaurants and club houses.

magentastardust Thu 22-Aug-13 12:01:21

Villa Parade have a load of nice Villas -I have stayed in Mallorca with them 3 times at different villas and they have always been really clean and as seen in pictures-I think most of the Mallorca ones are around old town Pollensa or Puerto Pollensa so within walking distance of cafe's and restaurants.

I think they also do other countries now so worth a look at the website.

frenchfancy Thu 22-Aug-13 11:57:25

What about:

modern Crete

or

Turkey

WafflyVersatile Wed 21-Aug-13 23:47:22

over £1k a night! shock

With that plasticky looking diarrhoea coloured sofa?

The rest of it is lovely but I think you should let your DH choose!

Bonsoir Wed 21-Aug-13 00:39:05

My DSSs are currently in Croatia and seriously underwhelmed by the food and the quality of the accommodation. Lots of sun and lovely scenery however.

petitdonkey Wed 21-Aug-13 00:34:32

Croatia is a great idea, have just been browsing links, all in budget so stop looking at price first, find this - perfect!!! Price? Oops.

DH keeps telling me I have expensive tastes!

WafflyVersatile Wed 21-Aug-13 00:20:38
WafflyVersatile Wed 21-Aug-13 00:07:43
petitdonkey Wed 21-Aug-13 00:06:11

But just found a very poor review of the villa via trip advisor... Really am going to bed now but thank you so much everyone. Nanight.

petitdonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 23:58:14

Ooh, just looked at your first link again and think its within walking distance of a town.... We may have a contender!

petitdonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 23:34:03

magenta - your links are the nicest I've seen and I love Mallorca (met DH there!!!) it's still that 'short drive' that bugs me. We want to wander to a bar and wander home a bit tipsy- am I being far too picky??

Bonsoir- have sent you a pm. Please send it to me, I know I will weep.

Bonsoir Tue 20-Aug-13 23:22:59

We stayed in a villa this summer that meets the spec in the OP on every detail... Except the price, which I shall not reveal on MN. If you want more info, PM me.

It was PERFECT, by the way.

magentastardust Tue 20-Aug-13 23:18:52
Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 23:00:06

huge & luxury compared with our max 2 rooms per floor, no garden & no parking!

I did see the link but didn't pore over it. will have another look smile

petitdonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 22:56:40

Interesting that you think of them as huge, luxury! I thought I was going mad and that my budget wasn't as healthy as I'd first thought!! I agree that Marbella has some perfect places, we used to stay at The Marbella Club which was perfect (they have villas within the hotel complex) but it doesn't have a happy association for DH now.

I'm off to bed now but will continue looking tomorrow. Did you see my Grenada link?? I just want that again but without the ten hour flight!

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:49:44

Arcachon, near Bordeaux

under 1km to bars & restos

4.5K euros pw

doesn't give a distance to beach but looks like c 500m as the crow flies (& is pretty flat there)

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:41:32

shame Marbella area is out of the question though because it is rammed with suitable properties & prices have plummeted...

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:40:38

oh I love looking, donkey, don't worry (DH & I currently stay regularly in a tiny basic townhouse in Orgiva in the Alpujarras, so looking at huge luxury places is a treat smile)

Sidge Tue 20-Aug-13 22:39:29

It was the Villa A2 Santo Tomas in Menorca.

But have a wander around that website, they have some gorgeous villas - I just linked to the first one I came to!

petitdonkey Tue 20-Aug-13 22:34:47

ponders- please don't send yourself mad looking like I have!!! St tropez property looks lovely but our one downside to our Grenada holiday was not being able to just walk out in the evening to a selection of restaurants.

I am realising that my budget is too low maybe for this dream property (and also that the price in Grenada was fantastic- all of the furniture was designer, beautiful pool, just perfect really) and I guess there aren't that many large properties near some life/ small towns.

I think I hoped some mumsnet ter would come along and say, ' this is our place, ten grand?? Yes please'!!! It still sounds like a lot of money to me for two weeks- when I think about how much we rent our London flat for... I do know its not the same thing but.... Forgive my waffling!!!

I know we could get a nice resort holiday for £7000 (I'm guessing flights will be about 2k) but that's not what we want.

Oh we'll, first world problems and all that smile

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:32:57

ooooh, this one looks good

SW France, on the Atlantic, beach 450m, restos 300m, tennis & golf, 4650 euros pw (plus linen/cleaning)

still no brekkie though grin

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:26:51

5K euros, sorry, MN doesn't do the symbol grin

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:26:13

St Tropez - ?5K - sea views, but way up from beach.

very pretty though!

Ponders Tue 20-Aug-13 22:20:07

ohhhh, what a shame

ok

(last one was Mijas but still that coast)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now