Essentials list for a week in the sun!

(38 Posts)
RegularVoltaire Tue 20-Aug-13 00:33:22

So, I haven't been on holiday abroad for what seems like a lifetime. My youngest (6) has never been, and my older two have only very distant memories.

We have booked as cheaply as possible, including limiting luggage (although we each have 5kg of handluggage) so I don't want to go overboard and just want to take essentials. There are 5 of us and we are going All Inclusive to Spain for one week.

My list so far consists of:

Passports
Tickets
Euros (have no idea how much to take)
Small medicine box with painkillers, plasters, immodium, diarolyte and anti-histamines - anything I've missed?
Sun lotion (again have no idea how much to take)
After sun (see recurring theme above!)
Beach towels (I'm assuming one each?)
Hairdryer/Straighteners
Travel plug
General toiletries including toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo etc
3 pairs of shoes each (one to travel, one day, one night)
4 bikini's/costumes each
7 x evening outfits
7 x day outfits
Cardigan/light jacket in case it gets cold

There are probably a million things I've left out - help!

NoComet Tue 27-Aug-13 22:01:34

All the shorts I own aprox 4 pairs
Seven T shirts
Two evening outfits (always shower before dinner)
One costume, 2 tankis, rash vest- I burn long before DD2
Light weight but long trousered traveling clothes because we are cheapskates and tale night flights to get 7 full days.
14 pairs of knickers, stack of bras, less if you wear bikinis. I feel stupid in them. Always did even when young and slim.
Beach towels
Suncream-no two for one offers
We do after sun because the DD like it even if they aren't burnt.

Long trousers for DH and older teen boys, some hotels say long trousers for dinner. Certainly smart shorts.

RegularVoltaire Tue 27-Aug-13 21:48:06

I've bought suncream - 2 x 50, 2 x 30 and 2x 15 spf. Does that sound like enough? The 30 and 15 are big bottles and the 50's (for younger dd's) are slightly smaller. I thought I'd buy any extra in the supermarket if we need it.

No walkacrossthesand - we are flying with Thomsonfly.

I can't find anything in the hotel facilities that state AI get towels, so think we need to take our own.

Ememem84 Tue 27-Aug-13 20:00:48

If ai do you need towels? We've booked ai in turkey. Towels supplied by hotel.

WelshWereRabbit Tue 27-Aug-13 19:52:58

Suncream is always expensive in resort - buy at Boots airside in the airports, they often have offers on, same as on the high street. Once you are airside you don't have to worry about the 100ml limit or bottles bursting over your hold luggage. Also buy water, sandwiches etc for the flight, selection will be much better and cheaper than on the plane.

Walkacrossthesand Tue 27-Aug-13 17:03:50

Bear in mind that a cabin-sized suitcase weighs at least 2kg so uses up a chunk of your 5kg allowance - 5 kg is easy to carry so I'd go for a wheel-less hold all that will weigh much less & let you carry more. Ryanair, I presume?

sofi0308 Fri 23-Aug-13 09:35:43

re suncream, all the supermarkets have their own brand so dont buy nivea/garnier at the beach for 10 euros a bottle, get it in the supermercardo for half that and save a tonnage on your luggage.

RegularVoltaire Thu 22-Aug-13 21:51:00

Good points ... thanks.

girlywhirly Thu 22-Aug-13 11:31:42

Yes good point about the mossies special. The aloe vera lotion I use is called Aloepura. it's organic and has no smell at all.

specialsubject Thu 22-Aug-13 10:35:05

careful with over scented lotions as the mossies will think it is Christmas. And make sure you don't wear anything with excessive scent in the sun as it can trigger photosensitive reactions.

girlywhirly Thu 22-Aug-13 07:53:01

Body butter or any good body lotion would be fine, although DH might appreciate something with no scent! I like to use an aloe vera lotion which is very gentle for sensitive skin. I've never bothered with an actual aftersun product.

RegularVoltaire Thu 22-Aug-13 00:25:05

I've got loads of body butter, will that do the same job?

These are great tips - thanks all smile

girlywhirly Wed 21-Aug-13 14:15:38

Another tip: pack all toiletry containers in resealable food/freezer bags within your wash bags if packing in hold baggage, it saves an awful lot of mess if any tops get broken or containers get damaged because it is contained in the plastic bag. (We had this happen with a small bottle I had decanted DH'S shower gel into, it had a split in it. Don't think baggage handlers helped the situation!)

I use travel wash as well Budgie, but only on two week hols. Can take less underwear as well as clothes. There might well be a laundry room for guests use at an A.I. hotel. We only go B+B basis and it's not such an imposition to wash through a few bits by hand if there isn't one.

bigTillyMint Wed 21-Aug-13 13:27:06

Re suncream:
We are 2 adults and 2 teens and have just come back from 2 weeks in the sun. We put it on a short while before we go out in the sun and maybe top up shoulders/back/chest after lunch.
DH and DS wear rashies and long shorts the whole time so only cream their lower arms and lower legs and faces. They use factor 50 - one big bottle (400ml?)
DD and I wear bikini's. We use factor 30 - two big bottles (800ml)
None of us burned at all, and DD and I came back nice and brown!

If you don't take aftersun, take a good body moisturiser as the sun really dries you out. Probably 800ml max for 2weeks.

Budgiegirlbob Wed 21-Aug-13 13:19:45

Oh, and I always pack tweezers, my kids always seem to get splinters for some reason.

Budgiegirlbob Wed 21-Aug-13 13:18:59

Fewer outfits, and a tube of travel wash for emergency cleaning if necessary. 14 different outfits for each person is a huge amount! I'm not sure my kids even have that many clothes! We just stuck to a few pairs of shorts/trousers and a few t shirts/tops, plus a couple of dresses. During the day we only really wore swimming costumes and cover-ups.

Suncream - between 5 of us, we got through nearly a tube a day, it doesn't go far if you put on enough, and every two hours or so. Also my kids all wore sun protecting rash vests, they didn't mind as quite a few kids had them on.

RegularVoltaire Wed 21-Aug-13 11:00:33

Thanks sofi. Are the suncreams etc not a lot more expensive over there though?

I've added eye drops to the list smile

RegularVoltaire Wed 21-Aug-13 11:00:04

Thanks sofi. Are the suncreams etc not a lot now expensive over there though?

I've added eye drops to the list smile

sofi0308 Tue 20-Aug-13 23:31:36

buy suncream, showergel, shampoo, toothpaste when you get there. but pack eyedrops. after a day in sun and sand and pool it may be handy. and yes, you def dont need tonnes of outfits, shorts and a pile of tops (vests better than tees/dont get so smelly!)

RegularVoltaire Tue 20-Aug-13 22:13:09

Thanks everyone.

I think I'm starting to get a bit more of an idea of things. Some fab tips here smile

mrsgiggle Tue 20-Aug-13 21:38:11

Have just come home, 2 boys lived in trunks (shorts) in the day and flip flops. Couple of pairs of shorts and t shirts f. night and pumps, akthough ala lot of people were wearing flip flops.

A couple of bikinis for me, 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for dsy. 2 dresses, skirt and pair of trousers, plus 2 tops for night, day sandles and night sandles.

Hairdryer in hotel, check hotel description before you go. Also they hired towels 1 euro each, emailed ahead for that.

mrsgiggle Tue 20-Aug-13 21:17:12

Have just come home, 2 boys lived in trunks (shorts) in the day and flip flops. Couple of pairs of shorts and t shirts f. night and pumps, akthough ala lot of people were wearing flip flops.

A couple of bikinis for me, 2 t shirts and 2 shorts for dsy. 2 dresses, skirt and pair of trousers, plus 2 tops for night, day sandles and night sandles.

Hairdryer in hotel, check hotel description before you go. Also they hired towels 1 euro each, emailed ahead for that.

girlywhirly Tue 20-Aug-13 13:26:54

RegularVoltaire, I have a luggage scale which has a dial, I found that it is about a kg out in accuracy. It's fine now that I know to add a kg onto whatever weight it tells me! I hope that the digital ones are more accurate and reliable.

Previously I used to put cases on the bathroom scales and hand luggage on my kitchen ones as they went up to 5kg!

The whole hand luggage weights is silly anyway, once people get airside they fill them up with magazines, food and drink, duty free etc (wait until you are all airside before buying all these heavy items!) It's a nice treat for the DC to choose what they want to read from WH Smith, although pricey.

Re the change of clothes in hand luggage, just roll each persons things into a sausage and put in the bottom of their bag.

specialsubject Tue 20-Aug-13 13:08:14

I would take one lightweight fleece each for the plane and the airport where the temperature can be very cold. Or very hot!

the 'liquids' rules for hand luggage are actually 'liquids, gels and pastes'. So the 'overzealous checker' who said it includes mascara was absolutely right. All slap is included in these rules. Put it in hold luggage, it's worth nothing and that way there's no problem.

generally: cabin luggage is valuables, essentials and documents. Nothing sharp.

hold luggage is everything else BUT nothing valuable or fragile.

Moomoomie Tue 20-Aug-13 12:38:59

We have just got back from two weeks in Menorca.
If you plan to spend a lot of time by the pool, I don't think you need an outfit a day. Also, it is very hot, we did not need cardigans at all.
I took a fair few evening outfits but tended to rotate 3 maxi dresses.
We took spare clothes and swim stuff in hand luggage, so easy to change as soon as we arrived.
If you packed wisely, you could probably get away with hand luggage only for a week.

RegularVoltaire Tue 20-Aug-13 12:27:38

These are great tips, really useful, thanks everyone.

Love the suggestion of swimming costume, towel and spare clothes in the hand luggage. I totally forgot about the sweets too, and will definitely photocopy all docs.

I don't have scales but have seen case-weighing gadgets in matalan so may go and get one of those ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now