Essentials list for a week in the sun!

(38 Posts)
RegularVoltaire Tue 20-Aug-13 00:33:22

So, I haven't been on holiday abroad for what seems like a lifetime. My youngest (6) has never been, and my older two have only very distant memories.

We have booked as cheaply as possible, including limiting luggage (although we each have 5kg of handluggage) so I don't want to go overboard and just want to take essentials. There are 5 of us and we are going All Inclusive to Spain for one week.

My list so far consists of:

Passports
Tickets
Euros (have no idea how much to take)
Small medicine box with painkillers, plasters, immodium, diarolyte and anti-histamines - anything I've missed?
Sun lotion (again have no idea how much to take)
After sun (see recurring theme above!)
Beach towels (I'm assuming one each?)
Hairdryer/Straighteners
Travel plug
General toiletries including toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo etc
3 pairs of shoes each (one to travel, one day, one night)
4 bikini's/costumes each
7 x evening outfits
7 x day outfits
Cardigan/light jacket in case it gets cold

There are probably a million things I've left out - help!

bigTillyMint Wed 21-Aug-13 13:27:06

Re suncream:
We are 2 adults and 2 teens and have just come back from 2 weeks in the sun. We put it on a short while before we go out in the sun and maybe top up shoulders/back/chest after lunch.
DH and DS wear rashies and long shorts the whole time so only cream their lower arms and lower legs and faces. They use factor 50 - one big bottle (400ml?)
DD and I wear bikini's. We use factor 30 - two big bottles (800ml)
None of us burned at all, and DD and I came back nice and brown!

If you don't take aftersun, take a good body moisturiser as the sun really dries you out. Probably 800ml max for 2weeks.

girlywhirly Wed 21-Aug-13 14:15:38

Another tip: pack all toiletry containers in resealable food/freezer bags within your wash bags if packing in hold baggage, it saves an awful lot of mess if any tops get broken or containers get damaged because it is contained in the plastic bag. (We had this happen with a small bottle I had decanted DH'S shower gel into, it had a split in it. Don't think baggage handlers helped the situation!)

I use travel wash as well Budgie, but only on two week hols. Can take less underwear as well as clothes. There might well be a laundry room for guests use at an A.I. hotel. We only go B+B basis and it's not such an imposition to wash through a few bits by hand if there isn't one.

RegularVoltaire Thu 22-Aug-13 00:25:05

I've got loads of body butter, will that do the same job?

These are great tips - thanks all smile

girlywhirly Thu 22-Aug-13 07:53:01

Body butter or any good body lotion would be fine, although DH might appreciate something with no scent! I like to use an aloe vera lotion which is very gentle for sensitive skin. I've never bothered with an actual aftersun product.

specialsubject Thu 22-Aug-13 10:35:05

careful with over scented lotions as the mossies will think it is Christmas. And make sure you don't wear anything with excessive scent in the sun as it can trigger photosensitive reactions.

girlywhirly Thu 22-Aug-13 11:31:42

Yes good point about the mossies special. The aloe vera lotion I use is called Aloepura. it's organic and has no smell at all.

RegularVoltaire Thu 22-Aug-13 21:51:00

Good points ... thanks.

sofi0308 Fri 23-Aug-13 09:35:43

re suncream, all the supermarkets have their own brand so dont buy nivea/garnier at the beach for 10 euros a bottle, get it in the supermercardo for half that and save a tonnage on your luggage.

Walkacrossthesand Tue 27-Aug-13 17:03:50

Bear in mind that a cabin-sized suitcase weighs at least 2kg so uses up a chunk of your 5kg allowance - 5 kg is easy to carry so I'd go for a wheel-less hold all that will weigh much less & let you carry more. Ryanair, I presume?

WelshWereRabbit Tue 27-Aug-13 19:52:58

Suncream is always expensive in resort - buy at Boots airside in the airports, they often have offers on, same as on the high street. Once you are airside you don't have to worry about the 100ml limit or bottles bursting over your hold luggage. Also buy water, sandwiches etc for the flight, selection will be much better and cheaper than on the plane.

Ememem84 Tue 27-Aug-13 20:00:48

If ai do you need towels? We've booked ai in turkey. Towels supplied by hotel.

RegularVoltaire Tue 27-Aug-13 21:48:06

I've bought suncream - 2 x 50, 2 x 30 and 2x 15 spf. Does that sound like enough? The 30 and 15 are big bottles and the 50's (for younger dd's) are slightly smaller. I thought I'd buy any extra in the supermarket if we need it.

No walkacrossthesand - we are flying with Thomsonfly.

I can't find anything in the hotel facilities that state AI get towels, so think we need to take our own.

NoComet Tue 27-Aug-13 22:01:34

All the shorts I own aprox 4 pairs
Seven T shirts
Two evening outfits (always shower before dinner)
One costume, 2 tankis, rash vest- I burn long before DD2
Light weight but long trousered traveling clothes because we are cheapskates and tale night flights to get 7 full days.
14 pairs of knickers, stack of bras, less if you wear bikinis. I feel stupid in them. Always did even when young and slim.
Beach towels
Suncream-no two for one offers
We do after sun because the DD like it even if they aren't burnt.

Long trousers for DH and older teen boys, some hotels say long trousers for dinner. Certainly smart shorts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now