Much difference between Crete and Turkey weather wise?

(9 Posts)
AryaUnderfoot Sun 01-Sep-13 11:16:55

We came back from Turkey last week and can vouch for rip-off prices at Dalaiman. We packed up a load of rolls, pastries and dried fruit from breakfast (cheese and ham would have gone off in about 2 minutes in that heat) and just bought water (4.5 lira or £1.50 a bottle) in the departure lounge.

Turkey is a beautiful country and, I think, more beautiful than Crete.

One thing about Turkey (Dalaiman) - if you go on the Monday Thomson flight from Gatwick at 7:15 am or 18:something between now and the end of the season, you will fly on the Dreamliner.

TukTuk Thu 29-Aug-13 14:55:03

We first went to Turkey in mid 90's , Dalaman was horrendously expensive then as well .

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 29-Aug-13 10:41:50

agree wrt dalaman airport

a kfc bucket blush was thirty quid

Walkacrossthesand Tue 27-Aug-13 16:54:56

Warning - if you fly to/from dalaman airport, be sure to read and heed the trip advisor stuff about the extortionate price of food and drink there - 3 to 5 times the normal price in turkey, and their McD & subway are more expensive than here. Go prepared with big picnic for the wait and the 4h flight, hydrate as much as you can before security (bottles of water are £1.50/500ml, usual turkish price 30p/1.5 litres. Still cheaper than on board (£1.70/500ml with monarch) but quite quite shocking. Otherwise, Turkey was great! smile

Stila Mon 26-Aug-13 18:19:35

I used to live in Rhodes and often visited a friend in Turkey . Turkey and the Greek islands in that area can both have some iffy weather when you get into October , Turkey was always slightly warmer , although they'd feel similar in temps coming from the UK .

SnookyPooky Sun 25-Aug-13 10:50:31

I have been to Turkey in early October and it did rain a couple of times, mostly at night, big thunderstorms etc. It was shortlived and didn't affect our holiday at all.

I live in Cyprus and we have been known to have rain in October though as as above, nothing remarkable.

specialsubject Thu 15-Aug-13 17:37:46

most beaches have breeze due to the physics of land and sea. To help avoid this, pick a beach which is in a deep cove. Lindos on Rhodes may suit - ridiculously hot in high season but should be ok in October.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 15-Aug-13 10:39:49

It is highly unlikely to rain in Turkey at the beginning of October, I wouldn't have thought there was much chance in Crete either.

I always find islands windy, although I can't remember it being particularly windy when we visited Crete. It can be breezy in Turkey too but not so much as the islands.

Which part of Turkey/Crete are you looking at? I like both but I have to say Turkey is my favourite place to go smile

RichInBunlyGoodness Sat 10-Aug-13 13:31:17

We're planning on going away for a week or so at the start of October. At the moment we're between Turkey or Crete but probably prefer Crete. Is there likely to be much difference in sun/likelihood of rain at the beginning of October between the two?

We're not expecting temps in the 30s but would like some sun. They seem similar in terms of average temps at this time of year. I have read that Crete can be windy though and I hate the wind on the beach!

Anyone who had been to either/both start of Oct?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now