Snow holiday in Seefeld, Austria. Anyone been?

(12 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sun 04-Aug-13 22:18:13

Update:

We booked! Easy jet flights to Insbruck and really nice apartment in Seefeld. Can't wait!

And I am taking advantage of the hot weather right jow and ordering snow boots and jackets online at bargain prices smile

LIZS Tue 23-Jul-13 08:44:44

iirc it is a large residential community too so I'm sure there are several supermarkets.

MadeOfStarDust Tue 23-Jul-13 08:39:53

that is a shame.... hope you find somewhere nice - the area is just stunning with loads for non-skiers to do.

Wiifitmama Tue 23-Jul-13 08:14:37

I priced up some hotels and they were astronomical! But for us it's a medical issue. My dh is on a no salt diet. Noone can cater for this. I have to cook for him.

Wiifitmama Tue 23-Jul-13 08:13:38

I pr

MadeOfStarDust Tue 23-Jul-13 08:03:35

You can, but to be honest, with the way things are set up out there, you may find it is just as cheap to go for a large hotel with food as a chalet which are pricey in the snowy season..

We went for one of the big hotels with an outdoor pool - swimming in the snow is fab!. We went half board, with (cheap) toasted sandwiches and cake eaten out for lunch.....

Wiifitmama Mon 22-Jul-13 21:21:55

I also wanted to ask, is it possible to self cater? I understand there is a Spar in Seefeld, but I also know that these ski resorts are more set up for people in hotels having all their meals the and in restaurants. Can I buy supplies for self catering?

Wiifitmama Mon 22-Jul-13 19:55:14

Suggestions are more than welcome thank you!

I really don't think we will ski. Dh is the only one who wants to and he can always go off for the day if he likes. The costs are just too high for us to do it really. Ski rental, lift passes, lessons, etc. I did it loads as a teen with my dad and as a younger adult. It's fun but not all that really smile

Madeofstardust- that all sounds amazing! We love chitty chitty bang bang!

lapsedorienteerer Mon 22-Jul-13 19:50:24

I went to Seefeld in 2008, I took DS in low season (pre Christmas). It's an easy 30min train ride from Innsbruck (or Munich 2 hours). However, I've been to quite a few resorts in Austria and wouldn't particularly chose to return to Seefeld. I can't quite put my finger on it though. I think you'd be better in a more rural resort? I'm so hot right now that I'm finding it difficult to think about snow grin. Don't under estimate your boys wanting to give skiing a go once they see people on the slopes, if so Seefeld is a bit spread out (skiing wise). My suggestion would be Ramsau am Dachstein (train from Salzburg to Schladming, I'll be back with some other suggestions if you like, or is that just confusing you?

turkeyboots Mon 22-Jul-13 19:34:40

Seefeld is lovely. We used to go for the day when I lived in Munich. Excellent for beginners. Have a wonderful time!

MadeOfStarDust Mon 22-Jul-13 19:31:32

We went to Lermoos which is literally 15 miles away - the area is stunning!!! I walked from Lermoos to Seefeld on a mountain track (hubby was skiing, I was not) and got the ski bus back - all the resorts are linked by frequent buses - after eating toasted sandwiches and cake! Everywhere felt really safe and everyone I came across when on my own was friendly. There are SPAR shops in all the villages too...

The cross mountain tracks were gritted every morning by a man on a scooter with a trailer.

I also went up the Zugspitze mountain and stood with one foot in Germany, the other in Austria, and visited Neuschwanstein - the chitty chitty bang bang castle which was wonderful. Went tubing and tobogganing and went to the ski lift cafes and had lots of hot chocolate and cake.

I think I had more fun than hubby who went skiing....

Wiifitmama Mon 22-Jul-13 19:19:18

After numerous messages on here and considering everything from caravan parks in the Uk, to a snow holiday by train in Scotland, we have finally decided I think! We want to go for a one week snow holiday in Austria and Seefeld looks good. We would go the second week of January (6th).

It is me, dh, and three boys aged 5,9 and 12. None of us are skiers (actually, I am but haven't done it since my 20's) and we are not after a ski holiday (too pricey). I want a week in guaranteed snow in a place totally geared up for it, with snow fun, tobogganing, rides on cable car lift things etc. We need to self cater (both cost and special dietary needs) so would rent a chalet. I wanted quick transfer from the airport which Seefeld seems to have.

Soooooo......I am asking the wise people of Mumsnet, have we picked well? Anyone been there?

And if you already replied on one of my many other threads trying to find a holiday, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now