Which areas are the "quiet bits" of Mallorca (majorca, depending on how you spell it)

(17 Posts)
Trills Thu 18-Jul-13 09:58:18

Looking to book a beach/sun holiday.

Do not want clubbing/nightlife.

I need to search TripAdvisor for people who have given bad reviews because "no nightlife" and then choose those hotels!

DonutForMyself Thu 18-Jul-13 10:56:48

I only know the north of the island, so can't comment on other areas, but Porta Pollensa in the north is great for a quiet break, no nightlife to speak of (had to go to Alcudia for any partying!) and if you want properly quaint then Pollensa old town is even more chilled out. Lovely restaurants but very little else going on! Cala San Vicente is beautiful but quite pricey.

DonutForMyself Thu 18-Jul-13 10:57:40

Saying that, I have just realised how many years it is since I lived there, so things may have changed since then blush

girlywhirly Thu 18-Jul-13 14:21:44

Port de Soller is a nice resort on a horseshoe shaped bay with a beach (albeit a renovated one, they imported lots of sand) a harbour, a lovely promenade to walk along, many restaurants and bars because eating out IS the evening entertainment, and a fabulous antique tram. The tram will take you to Soller town which is pretty, and you can get the public buses to all sorts of other places.

Trills Thu 18-Jul-13 15:03:45

Thanks - a friend has just said that she went to Cala D'Or (and I don't think of her as a clubbing type) so I will add that to my list too.

Porta Pollensa is quite far from the airport - and some people on TripAdvisor were complaining about the slow shuttle buses - do you think it'd be ridiculous to get a taxi from/to the airport?

filee777 Thu 18-Jul-13 15:04:38

Mallorca and Majorca are different islands

GraduallyGoingInsane Thu 18-Jul-13 15:13:03

Cala D'or and its little nearby villages are lovely and peacef. We stayed in Cala Egros a few years ago which is walking distance from Cala D'Or across the harbour. It has a supermarket, chemist, shops and some small restaurants and bars but is sleepy and quiet. Cala D'or is a bit busier but still not clubbing style lively!

GuffSmuggler Thu 18-Jul-13 15:15:14

filee no they're not.

TenToWine Thu 18-Jul-13 15:19:00

Depends what you mean by quiet. For example, although I agree that Porta Pollensa is quiet in the sense of not many nightclubs, it will be very busy with people during school hols.

filee777 Thu 18-Jul-13 15:22:06

Sorry I'm thinking about menorca, sorry.

NoComet Thu 18-Jul-13 15:27:28

Cala Bona, S'Illiot and Sa Coma have no night clubs. Cala Millor has more young people, but any night clubs are underground.

Outside Magaluf, Mallorca (which is the Spanish spelling, I think) is pretty family friendly.

We honeymooned in Palma Nova and even there you had to go into Magaluf for proper 3am night life.

Mind you I've stayed 1/2 a mile from one of the biggest night clubs in Ibiza and it was lovely and peaceful, except for the next hotels awful disco, but that shut up about 11.30. All non soundproofed music in the Baliarics shuts up by midnight.

Trills Fri 19-Jul-13 14:19:07

Thanks - sounds like I'd be okay pretty much anywhere then smile

DonutForMyself Fri 19-Jul-13 14:28:17

Yes, avoid Magalluf and you'll be fine!

Erebus Tue 23-Jul-13 15:34:41

I'd second Pollenca (old town) or Puerto de Pollenca. Though the transport might not be fast (took us 45 mins+ via hire car from the airport)- once you're there, it's great; quiet and civilised.

We did stay in a villa 5 mins drive outside the old town which I'd just love to return to!

I don't do nightclubs etc etc either (but then, I'm 50 grin )

Trills Tue 30-Jul-13 18:33:55

We've booked into a little place called Cala San Vicente (near Puerto de Pollenca) - thanks for your help smile

TwoStepsBeyond Wed 31-Jul-13 15:11:47

Its beautiful, you'll have a great holiday!

Tea1Sugar Thu 01-Aug-13 08:23:17

Sa coma is beautiful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now