Husband and me in different rooms : ((

(38 Posts)
frettingmum Wed 17-Jul-13 00:16:51

Hi there,

Blame pregnancy but my brain has turned to mush and I can't make simple decisions anymore!!

We go on holiday this week and have just found out that the rooms only have a shower. My children are aged 2,4,6,8 and have never had a shower. The hotel has offered us a suite which is supposed to be wow factor with a bath and jacuzzi with living room and double the size of normal rooms. But it's on the next floor up. As a large family we have to have two rooms anyway. But we can't afford two suites.

So.....our choice is have two rooms together which are quite cramped and with no bath. But hubby would only be next door as opposed to on floor above. Or have a suite and a room on floor below. Hubby would just use it for sleeping in and would have to carry one of the children down with him when they are asleep.

I'm not so worried about us being in different beds as we have been playing musical beds for months now. But I'm not sure if I want us to be in different floors. Next door is another thing. Also, unpacking and dressing will be a nightmare. But then we get a huge room with a living room and a bath not a shower and would just be apart for sleeping.

See, my brain is not working anymore. Hence my turning to strangers with the classic 'what would you do?'

JayD Tue 27-Aug-13 17:11:51

with water such a treasured resource in many of the places we love to holiday too - surely a shower makes sense keeps them clean and saves water - result!

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 01-Aug-13 09:20:00

(Your 8 year old should really be able to get self ready for school by now!!)

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 01-Aug-13 09:19:15

Next time book self catering villa with a shared pool like at lefkas the "mousses" Complex run by simply travel
There are loads if reviews on here. Glad your holiday had reinvigorated you. I always found that with toddlers, a break made you move onto the next stage

Okker Tue 30-Jul-13 23:13:19

Oh DOH..just read your last message!. Glad you're enjoying it!! smile

Okker Tue 30-Jul-13 23:11:00

My little boy, who's 5, has only started to have showers this year..he loves them now it refuses to put his head in...I just use a wet face cloth & soap to clean his hair. Obviously this may be a problem with girls and long hair..but if it's only for holidays, they can sample the shower cap!. For the younger kids, you could bring a baby bath, as suggested..and if the older ones refuse the shower-make them stand up in the baby bath and sponge bath them.
Glad you got the interconnecting rooms..have a brilliant holiday!! smile

xigris Mon 29-Jul-13 22:29:11

Yay! That's great fretting. I've recently discovered the benefits of showering my two eldest (6&3), it's so brilliant and takes about an 8th of the time plus loads less arguing over bastard bath toys of bathing. Definitely the way forward! Glad you're having a good time and hope you get a bit of a rest too. smile

frettingmum Mon 29-Jul-13 22:19:42

Thanks everyone. We're here in Turkey at the moment and having a fab time. We managed to get two interconnecting rooms with showers. It's worked brilliantly. All the kids love the speed of the shower which has shocked me! And the best thing is that the 6 and 8 year old are now washing and drying their own hair and then getting themselves ready for dinner!!!! It's like the shower has given me a new lease if life : )). And we're so glad we're all in the same room as me and hubby are having lovely evenings on the balcony overlooking the sea when the kids are in bed. Definitely interconnecting rooms next time!

makemineapinot Fri 26-Jul-13 23:26:05

Buy a cheap paddling pool and let them bath in that but they may end up living the shower!

sofi0308 Mon 22-Jul-13 05:20:19

or just buy a plastic tub when you get there if the hotel dont have one, where are you going on hols anyway?

mummymeister Sun 21-Jul-13 11:08:44

go to your local (proper) diy shop and buy a universal plug. we took this everywhere with us when our 3 DC's were small so that a shower can convert into a little mini bath! we also took a slip mat with us.

TwasBrillig Sun 21-Jul-13 09:02:32

Have they not had to shower at swimming? You can tell them its bust like that on holiday?

TwinkleSparkleBling Sun 21-Jul-13 08:52:37

The shower will be fine. My youngest had a shower at 3 months when we stayed with relatives abroad. You can get sponge bed type things that they can lie in.

My eldest (similar age to your youngest) was a bit meh about the shower at first but I took the hose down and let her hold it (it was a wet room!).

She now loves the shower and prefers to a bath!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 19-Jul-13 11:22:58

Don't worry about the shower, I'm sure they will cope wink

Mine have been going in the shower since they could stand. If you are goinf somewhere hot they will prefer it to a bath anyway.

DoubleMum Fri 19-Jul-13 11:12:21

Connecting rooms definitely the way to go. smile
I'm sure the DCs will be fine with a shower, but something I've done before with a baby is to take a little blow up paddling pool/baby bath and stick it at the bottom of the shower.

quoteunquote Wed 17-Jul-13 13:57:43

Anyone else sleep in different rooms on holiday to their partner?

well I make my family camp one field over from me on the group camp we do each year, but then I make everyone camp in a different field from me.

frettingmum Wed 17-Jul-13 11:53:31

Thanks everyone. Just had a really helpful chat with the hotel manager. They have two really nice sea view rooms which connect inside. Only got a shower but she said they have a lovely view and we wouldn't be disappointed. The other option was a room across from the suite but she said the view was onto a main road and busy : //.

So we lose the bath and the living room area. But we gain two really nice rooms and connected. We'll use one room for living mainly and chuck the kids all in the one next door.

Been lucky because she said there were only two connected sea view rooms. Really happy with the solution although I know I'll be itching to go and have a nosy at the suite ; ))))

LIZS Wed 17-Jul-13 11:34:51

We have similar dilemma but at least our dc are older. So far 2 rooms booked as that was the only option online but hotel cannot guarantee they will be adjacent, just on same floor, and there are no interconnecting rooms. We may be able to have a family room instead but that probably means no floor space and fold up beds ! Think we may just have to take a view when we get there.

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 17-Jul-13 11:30:10

I think it is quite normal when you have too many children to fit in one hotel room and they are not old enough to supervise themselves. Once the eldest is a bit older you'll be able to let them have a room of their own and you will be able to be in together again smile Or you could look at holiday lets rather than hotels, as it seems to be hotels where you have the problem of "family rooms" etc and children not being allowed in a room on their own.

I've definitely seen people on MN before saying that they do this, anyway.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 17-Jul-13 11:27:20

Next time look for a hotel with interconnecting rooms. My parents always did this when we were little, them in one room and all of us in the one next door.

The shower thing is a red herring, kids love showers.

Why were you doing all the work when you were in the villa? Surely 50/50 when there are two of you?

Rummikub Wed 17-Jul-13 11:22:01

It's not weird or unusual I'm sure. It's a practical solution.

frettingmum Wed 17-Jul-13 11:11:46

If I'm totally honest the suite will suit our needs better for many factors as well as the bath. It's got the separate living room for chilling out in the day rather than sitting on the beds. It will also be useful for when the kids are in bed. It's 50sqm as opposed to 27sqm for the normal rooms. So that will work great. It's literally just the sleeping issue away from hubby. Although that often happens at the moment a lot anyway because the 2 year old is still in with me and keeps him awake. I think we'd just be too cooped up in the room as there would also be a sofa bed permanently down.

If I'm honest again, I don't mind too much hubby sleeping down the corridor. But somehow it bothers me because no one else seems to do this and it seems like it might not be too healthy for us. Having said that, with four kids and me pregnant romance is far from the cards.

Anyone else sleep in different rooms on holiday to their partner?

We did try a villa but I hated it. I spent the whole two weeks cleaning, cooking, washing and whittling. We were always too tired to go and find entertainment so might as well have been at home. We're useless at self catering : ((

SanityClause Wed 17-Jul-13 10:54:47

In future, book a villa or large apartment.

It's so much easier with young children. You can put them down for a nap when it suits you, feed them when it suits you, and cater for their current food fads.

And you can arrange the bedrooms to suit your family, without having to worry about having an adult in each room.

I know it doesn't help with your current problem, but, seriously, do consider it for the next few years.

Rummikub Wed 17-Jul-13 10:45:54

Once the kids are asleep, have a jacuzzi?

ShoeWhore Wed 17-Jul-13 10:44:33

Honestly I'd get the kids to shower! Would the hotel provide a baby bath as a backup plan for the youngest? We did that on hols once and just filled the bath up in the bottom of the shower when ds3 was also 2. It was fine for him to sit/stand in while we washed him. (You could also do the same thing with a small inflatable boat) The older ones would be fine in the shower surely?

Might be worth asking the hotel if the shower can be used hand held, that is definitely easier with a little one to start with.

If you do go for the suite then surely you get at least half of the nights off in the second room, being a pregnant woman and all that. I'd try and arrange the packing so one case is mainly for the second room. Either that or agree the second room is literally only for sleeping and keep all the clothes in the suite.

frettingmum Wed 17-Jul-13 08:59:21

Thanks for the helpful posts. We're going to go for the suite and room on floor below. It will be good to have the extra space and the bath. Whichever way we go, hubby and me will be in different rooms to sleep for the first time : ((. Feels a bit sad. Has anyone else done this and how did you manage to make sure you had some quality time together on your own. Or is this impossible and to be accepted? Thanks for posting. You have really helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now