Husband and me in different rooms : ((

(38 Posts)
frettingmum Wed 17-Jul-13 00:16:51

Hi there,

Blame pregnancy but my brain has turned to mush and I can't make simple decisions anymore!!

We go on holiday this week and have just found out that the rooms only have a shower. My children are aged 2,4,6,8 and have never had a shower. The hotel has offered us a suite which is supposed to be wow factor with a bath and jacuzzi with living room and double the size of normal rooms. But it's on the next floor up. As a large family we have to have two rooms anyway. But we can't afford two suites.

So.....our choice is have two rooms together which are quite cramped and with no bath. But hubby would only be next door as opposed to on floor above. Or have a suite and a room on floor below. Hubby would just use it for sleeping in and would have to carry one of the children down with him when they are asleep.

I'm not so worried about us being in different beds as we have been playing musical beds for months now. But I'm not sure if I want us to be in different floors. Next door is another thing. Also, unpacking and dressing will be a nightmare. But then we get a huge room with a living room and a bath not a shower and would just be apart for sleeping.

See, my brain is not working anymore. Hence my turning to strangers with the classic 'what would you do?'

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 19-Jul-13 11:22:58

Don't worry about the shower, I'm sure they will cope wink

Mine have been going in the shower since they could stand. If you are goinf somewhere hot they will prefer it to a bath anyway.

TwinkleSparkleBling Sun 21-Jul-13 08:52:37

The shower will be fine. My youngest had a shower at 3 months when we stayed with relatives abroad. You can get sponge bed type things that they can lie in.

My eldest (similar age to your youngest) was a bit meh about the shower at first but I took the hose down and let her hold it (it was a wet room!).

She now loves the shower and prefers to a bath!

TwasBrillig Sun 21-Jul-13 09:02:32

Have they not had to shower at swimming? You can tell them its bust like that on holiday?

mummymeister Sun 21-Jul-13 11:08:44

go to your local (proper) diy shop and buy a universal plug. we took this everywhere with us when our 3 DC's were small so that a shower can convert into a little mini bath! we also took a slip mat with us.

sofi0308 Mon 22-Jul-13 05:20:19

or just buy a plastic tub when you get there if the hotel dont have one, where are you going on hols anyway?

makemineapinot Fri 26-Jul-13 23:26:05

Buy a cheap paddling pool and let them bath in that but they may end up living the shower!

frettingmum Mon 29-Jul-13 22:19:42

Thanks everyone. We're here in Turkey at the moment and having a fab time. We managed to get two interconnecting rooms with showers. It's worked brilliantly. All the kids love the speed of the shower which has shocked me! And the best thing is that the 6 and 8 year old are now washing and drying their own hair and then getting themselves ready for dinner!!!! It's like the shower has given me a new lease if life : )). And we're so glad we're all in the same room as me and hubby are having lovely evenings on the balcony overlooking the sea when the kids are in bed. Definitely interconnecting rooms next time!

xigris Mon 29-Jul-13 22:29:11

Yay! That's great fretting. I've recently discovered the benefits of showering my two eldest (6&3), it's so brilliant and takes about an 8th of the time plus loads less arguing over bastard bath toys of bathing. Definitely the way forward! Glad you're having a good time and hope you get a bit of a rest too. smile

Okker Tue 30-Jul-13 23:11:00

My little boy, who's 5, has only started to have showers this year..he loves them now it refuses to put his head in...I just use a wet face cloth & soap to clean his hair. Obviously this may be a problem with girls and long hair..but if it's only for holidays, they can sample the shower cap!. For the younger kids, you could bring a baby bath, as suggested..and if the older ones refuse the shower-make them stand up in the baby bath and sponge bath them.
Glad you got the interconnecting rooms..have a brilliant holiday!! smile

Okker Tue 30-Jul-13 23:13:19

Oh DOH..just read your last message!. Glad you're enjoying it!! smile

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 01-Aug-13 09:19:15

Next time book self catering villa with a shared pool like at lefkas the "mousses" Complex run by simply travel
There are loads if reviews on here. Glad your holiday had reinvigorated you. I always found that with toddlers, a break made you move onto the next stage

LadyMilfordHaven Thu 01-Aug-13 09:20:00

(Your 8 year old should really be able to get self ready for school by now!!)

JayD Tue 27-Aug-13 17:11:51

with water such a treasured resource in many of the places we love to holiday too - surely a shower makes sense keeps them clean and saves water - result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now