Marmaris and Icemeler

(22 Posts)
frettingmum Fri 12-Jul-13 10:50:09

After weeks of searching for a holiday in the Greek Islands we have just booked the Maritim Grand Azur. The hotel looks lovely and I am really excited. It's on it's own little beach 2km from Marmaris and 3km from Icemeler. I'm now worried though as everything I read about Marmaris is truly terrible, Icemeler not so. Just needing some reassurance that its not so truly terrible. Our hotel is between the two locations but even so, have I made a huge mistake? I tried to book Rhodes but have up after weeks. Please don't post just to tell me how awful this place is. We've had a really tough time lately and really need a nice holiday. : ((((

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 12-Jul-13 11:16:00

Well I love Turkey, I have been going for years but I have to say I don't like Marmaris much. It isn't awful though, it is just too big for me, I prefer smaller resorts. Lots of people do love it , I have a friend who goes out twice a year every year.

Icmeler is smaller and quieter so maybe you would prefer there, it is supposed to be really nice, I've not stayed there though. As you are in the middle of both resorts you will have the choice to go either way.

Don't worry I'm sure you will have a lovely holiday and Marmaris does have its quieter parts so you don't have to go near the busy Bar Street type areas.

Have fun smile

Onetwo34 Fri 12-Jul-13 11:17:33

Marmaris is awful, but if you aren't in Marmaris, you don't have to spend any time there!

diabolo Fri 12-Jul-13 13:50:29

That whole area is stunning - you don't have to go into the main parts of Marmaris (which is very over-developed) unless you choose to.

Looking at the hotel's location on google maps, it's definitely right on the edge of the resort.

The area is really green and mountainous, the sea and beaches are great and when I last visited (stayed in Turunc, the other side of Icmeler), the people were amazing, so friendly.

MrsPnut Fri 12-Jul-13 13:53:49

Marmaris old town was nice when we visited 10 years ago. We ended up eating at a tiny place with some of the turkish navy. Icmeler was really nice too and we spent much of our time there.

Sandgroper Fri 12-Jul-13 14:33:52

We stayed in Turunc Bay with Tapestry Holidays a while ago (gone out of business sadly) and it was very peaceful, nice beach with some good restaurants.

Had to get the boat over to Marmaris as the only ATM in Turunc didn't work. Best thing about Marmaris was the boat trip back! Avoid it like the plague and you will be fine, was cheap, tacky and very touristy.

Haven't been to Icmeler but heard good things about it.

Turkey is fab, great food and lovely people and amazing scenery. Have a lovely time.

CousinArnold Fri 12-Jul-13 14:40:42

You can do a day trip to Rhodes Town from Marmaris!

I stayed in Icmeler a few years ago and did this trip - think it was on a catamaran. Icmeler was okay - had a nice beach and some lovely restaurants. There was a part of town that was more loud bars and touristy but you can easily avoid it.

CousinArnold Fri 12-Jul-13 14:42:56

As everyone else says, the Turkish people are lovely and friendly and, if you find the genuine Turkish restaurants, the food is amazing.

frettingmum Fri 12-Jul-13 18:10:58

Oh thanks wvery

frettingmum Fri 12-Jul-13 18:14:02

Sorry, baby made me press send too quickly!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Feeling a bit less stressed now and as you say, we can walk in the opposite direction. I think I was just a bit disappointed because I love the Greek islands and hubby has always refused to go to Turkey. I quite fancied Olu Deniz. But we got a great bargain on the hotel and it was looking like more of a case ogngl

frettingmum Fri 12-Jul-13 18:15:00

Of going there or staying at home. Right, time to try and put this wriggling baby down ; )). Thanks again and more comments warmly welcomed!!

diabolo Fri 12-Jul-13 19:43:28

OP - it is really gorgeous. I know everywhere develops as the years go by, but when we were in Turunc, the bars and shops and restaurants would close for a few minutes every few hours while the staff obeyed the call to prayer. Laying on the beach and listening to the Muezzin calling was spine-tingling and so "real" (sorry that sound naff).

They would come back after 10 or 15 minutes, and apologise for leaving you, but it really made me know that I was in proper Turkey, not just in a holiday resort somewhere. I loved it.

The transfer from Dalaman airport is quite long and a bit hair-raising.

Chocovore Sat 13-Jul-13 21:31:42

We stayed in this hotel 3 years ago and ......it was fantastic! We were nervous at the time as we normally go for 5 stars but found it excellent. The food and service particularly were excellent. Lots of live cooking stations outdoors, lovely friendly staff. You can easily get water taxis from there to Icemeler, Turunc etc, lovely trips for the breeze if nothing else. The best thing about this hotel in our opinion is that you can get a Dolmus outside to go to Marmaris in the evening. We went with our 2 little boys and loved the old town, the marina, watching the beautiful wooden gulets and relaxing in the waterfront bars. We never saw the naff bit of Marmaris at all. We keep saying we will go back so I hope you enjoy it.

Chocovore Sat 13-Jul-13 21:32:56

Oh and try out Muzzy's bar/cafe along the prom from the hotel. Very friendly and welcoming and great fun.

frettingmum Sun 14-Jul-13 00:49:51

Thanks so much for the post. That's great to hear. They have renovated the whole place this year and it is now listed as five star. So might be worth you looking again if you are thinking of going back. Thanks for the tips and taking the time to post!!

WaitingForTheHols Sun 14-Jul-13 01:13:52

Where you are will be lovely. Marmaris is a bit like a down trodden British holiday resort. There are some lovely parts to it though, and some great little traditional places to eat.

. Ichmeler is quieter, though still a busy place, lovely beach and great places to ear and drink.

Turunc is a bit further along the coast. A very small place, but worth a visit, especially on market day.
DO NOT GO IN THE SEA AT TURUNC - it is grotty.

Which reminds me, the best market of that area is Ichmeler, well worth a visit.

Catching a dolmus (bus) is very easy and very cheap. Just make sure small children sit on knees and have small change for the fare. If the bus is very busy you just pass the fare on and eventually it gets passed to the driver.

Markets start early and end by early afternoon. They take some walking around so take or buy there fruit and drinks.

WaitingForTheHols Sun 14-Jul-13 01:18:35

The boat trips are all fun. If you go to turtle beach be aware that the turtle sanctuary is at the land end of the beach (and well worth visiting), rather than the river end of the beach. They may combine the turtle trip with the roman town and Dalyan itself, both are worth exploring.

YNK Sun 14-Jul-13 01:37:39

Turtle beach trip is fab!

SnookyPooky Sun 14-Jul-13 16:23:35

Icmeler is lovely, had two holidays a year there before we moved as abroad (would have lived there if poss).

D0oinMeCleanin Sun 14-Jul-13 16:33:06

I personally love Marmaris, but I'm not very posh and have very low standards grin

Bar Street is a bit grim, but there's a lot more to Marmaris than just Bar street, we found some lovely, child friendly, laid back bars in the Antayla region of Marmaris. Sarah's Bar, Cousins, Eastenders (but this has been taken over by new management since we were last there) and loads more I can't remember the name of.

The Turkish people are lovely and cannot do enough for you, not excluding whipping a troublesome dd2 off for a dance and keeping her entertained long enough to allow us to eat in peace and then later re-heating her baked beans and sausages, she found "eggscusting" and refused to eat once she decided, she did in fact want them and was actually hungry hmm

Turtle Beach is a great trip, Pamacale is good but involves a long bus ride and might not be practical if you have young children with you.

Lizzylou Sun 14-Jul-13 16:40:29

We stayed at the Marmaris Palace which is next hotel along from where you're going.
We all loved it.
Icmeler nice and we got a dolmus to turunc which was worth it, lovely unspoilt place.
Didn't once venture into Marmaris, we were only there for a week.
The dalyan river cruise and mud baths is fab. Dalyan is a gorgeous place.

frettingmum Mon 15-Jul-13 00:04:24

Thank you, you wonderful people smile)) I feel so much better and can't wait to go. Plus I now have some fabulous tips as well!! Thank you!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now