anyone been to feurteventura? recommendations please

(8 Posts)
lowra Tue 02-Jul-13 12:29:55

Looking for somewhere warm and sunny to take our toddler at the end of September. Fancied Majorca but wanted to ensure it was was warm enough to enjoy a beach/pool holiday.

Feurteventura looks nice. Anyone been? Can you recommend anywhere to stay?

Thanks!

Yonihadtoask Tue 02-Jul-13 12:36:35

Majorca may well still be warm enough at the end of September , so don't rule it out yet.

I have been to Fuerteventura about 4 times in the past few years. I have always stayed in Costa Caleta - which was previously more commonly known as Caleta de Fuste.

It is nice and quiet, very family orientated.

The most recent visit was about 2 years ago in the Feb half term school holiday - and the weather was dreadful. But I think we were unlucky. September is pretty much guaranteed to be sunny weather.

On our latest stay we were in this hotel Barceló It was nice enough.

Previous stays in Broncemar Beach apartments, and others that I can't just remember the names of.

Other popular resorts on the island are Corralejo - in the north and Jandia in the South. I like Costa caleta as it is in the middle and we can tour around by car - or bus from there.

It is quite near the airport, so you get planes flying over- not so much that it's a problem though. Hence a taxi from the airport is cheap.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 02-Jul-13 12:50:19

I know it's not Majorca but I went to Ibiza in Sept a few years ago and it rained quite a bit, including one full day of torrential downpours. We only had one full day of sun. I was very disappointed. As it's the same group of islands you need to be aware that bad weather is a possibility. That said, I had friends who went to Majorca at the start of Oct a few years back and it was boiling hot. It's a bit of pot luck at that time of year.

Fuerteventura is great for families. Costa Caleta has lots of bars and restaurants, as does Corralejo. I've stayed in Corralejo but preferred CC as there was more going on. However you can get the ferry from Corralejo to Playa Blanca in Lazarote, which takes about an hour and is great or a day out. Just bear in mind that Fuerteventura is quite windy, so you think it's not as hot as it really is - use lots of sun cream!

Yonihadtoask Tue 02-Jul-13 13:05:27

But it isn't always windy soft kitty ? It can be, yes. But I think a lot of people are put off visiting as they hear reports of it being very windy all the time.

It was windy last time I went -but it was February - and we were unlucky.

At least it's a warm wind - unlike here!!

It is a lovely island - great to hire a car and have a drive around. The roads are quiet!

TheFallenNinja Tue 02-Jul-13 13:07:10

I've been to Caleta de Fueste a few times, nice and family friendly, nice beach.

It can be windy but us a bar for shelter and you'll be fine.

FeegleFion Tue 02-Jul-13 13:21:00

I've been to Corralejo and the beaches were outstanding.

We went in September and the weather was gorgeous. Tropical!

We went on the ferry to Lanzarote and had a lovely time.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 02-Jul-13 13:48:51

I went in May Yoni and it was very windy. I think they hold the world windsurfung championships there, but not sure what time of year that's held. If you go to the sand dunes they have these large 'pots' near/on the beaches to sunbathe in, like a brick windbreak grin. It wouldn't put me off going back though, in fact I'd love to, so don't be put off by the potential wind, OP.

lowra Tue 02-Jul-13 15:35:48

Thanks for the opinions. Think I am pretty much set on feurteventura and caleta due fueste seems like the best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now