Villa holidays at the end of August - Majorca/Portugal/Spain???

(12 Posts)
Loueytb3 Mon 01-Jul-13 08:35:19

We will (hopefully) be able to go away for 9-10 days at the end of the school holidays. I am desperate to go somewhere with nice weather.

Previously we've been to the Canaries (October half term) because its the only place warm enough then. this is the first time we will have been able to go away in August so I was thinking of going somewhere different.

We want to rent a villa (with pool). There are 5 of us, hotels are a nightmare but in addition DS1 has ASD and won't go to sleep unless he's in a room on his own.

I've heard puerto pollensa is nice and I need to look for villas there, but I don't know where else to try. Has anyone got any recommendations/suggestions?

As long as its within 5hrs flight time, I'm really not bothered where we go.

Loueytb3 Thu 04-Jul-13 20:29:27

Bump....

And has anyone used a villa company that they can recommend?

Kez100 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:46:28

We are off for two weeks in August with James Villas to Pollensa in Majorca. Four of us cost £4800 (with car, insurance, local flights included). It sleeps six, but only four flights in that price. We booked last year on a whim (as we haven't been anywhere for years and were fed up with the weather!). I can't currently recommend because we haven't actually been!

Back when the children were younger we went to Villa Angela in Armou, Cyprus. They have a facebook page. Lovely property. We booked car hire and flights separately and it was a very economic option given there were so many of us staying (6 of us).

Kez100 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:54:48

Just to say, when we asked our teenagers (one boy 15 one girl 17) where they wanted to go, all they asked for was a room of their own. So, it's not such an uncommon request.

At the time we booked we also looked at hotels and most were all inclusive coming in at £5000 for two rooms. We felt having three rooms to suit the childrens request, a car, and our own pool was worth giving up the included food and drink. We will probably eat and drink quite simply, from markets, around the pool of an evening and fruit on the terrace in the morning. Ohhhh, bliss....

Loueytb3 Fri 12-Jul-13 20:17:00

Thank you - will have a look at James. Will be very interested to know how you find Pollensa, and the villa once you get back. I've found one potentially there but we are also wondering about Andalucia. At this rate, we'll never book anything...

Bowlersarm Fri 12-Jul-13 20:19:00

Portugal. Carveirho. Lovely area.

Loueytb3 Fri 12-Jul-13 21:53:39

Oooh that does look nice. Thank you. I know very little about portugal. DH is worried about the currents/waves on the beaches there with small DCs

WildThongsHeartString Fri 12-Jul-13 22:08:54

Carvoerio is lovely, gorgeous little beach and you can drive or get the bus to loads of other beaches and the water park.Monte Gordo has a huge golden beach too. I have used Travel Republic a few times for Portugal accommodation. There is loads of beautiful luxury timeshare resort apartments and villas (because of the recession) and TR seem to offer these for holidays. 2 years ago in Carvoerio we got a 2 bedroom 3 bathroom townhouse, flat screen tvs, air con, full kitchen, absolutely amazing buffet breakfast for £900 for one week for 3 of us. Complex had a pool, spa, sports court and restaurant.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 12-Jul-13 22:16:56

What about this villa in Salema, a bit further west than Carvoeiro.

It always looks fabulous, but I've not actually been!

Bowlersarm Sat 13-Jul-13 09:35:28

We have just come back from Salema-gorgeous fishing village with a lovely beach. I can't see if the OP has said her children's ages, but I would say it's a bit far out for visiting water parks etc, when you compare it with carveiro. We use the water parks a lot and it involved quite a bit of driving around.

OP the beaches are lovely in Portugal. Very clean. Sometimes waves can be large and exciting so need to keep a close eye on DC,s but when we were there recently there were hardly any waves at all, it was very calm.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 19-Jul-13 09:02:46

The Algarve is great especially for families. We spend most of the school holidays in Luz (about 50 mins from the airport) but there are loads of lovely places in the western Algarve.
Alvor comes highly recommended from quite a few friends.

Salema ( mentioned above) is a lovely resort ( fab beach) but a bit out of the way and not a lot in the way of restaurants. Many of the villas are high up on the hill so it's a bit of a puff even if the info says the villa is close to the beach.

Martinhal is a lovely resort but quite a way out ( about an hour and a half drive from Faro)

Other places you might like to look at are Lagos ( several large beaches- our favourite is Port de Mos Mos ) and Villamoura, where there is a lovely marina.

The sea can be rough from time to time but rarely dangerous and the beaches are well lifeguarded. We have never found a problem with currents in the beaches we visit there.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 19-Jul-13 09:05:34

Meant to say- have a look at Villa plus We have used them a few times and found them very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now