Vesuvius

(12 Posts)
MrsSalvoMontalbano Sat 29-Jun-13 16:44:27

Hi, taking the DC to Italy, have found a nice - looking hotel in Ercolano which seems to be near Herculaneum grin - any advice re taking the train to Pompeii and up Vesuvius? TIA

zumo Sat 29-Jun-13 20:37:08

The train to Pompeii is known the world over for pickpockets, only take out what you are prepared to loose, I have been to Pompeii last year its excellent and well worth seeing as its massive.
If you are lucky and tip a guard then they will give you a private viewing of a villa, its excellent.
Take food and drink in with you as none on sale inside and its a long walk
You could get free admission if you have an EU passport but please check, I believe Herculaneum is smaller but different and some say better, but I did hear its in a rough part???
Other half took the gran parents up Vesuvius and said it was good.
You will enjoy it but take care as you would in any city.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sat 29-Jun-13 20:49:12

Zumo - thank you! Will take heed, and will take own food and drink!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sat 29-Jun-13 20:50:11

Zumo, how do you ask the guide about the villa, what is it called? How much to tip?

andadietcoke Sat 29-Jun-13 20:55:28

We couldn't find Herculaneum (in the car, and yes, it isn't a lovely area) so just did Pompeii. When we went there was no option but to walk up Vesuvius - there's no cable car any more (or at least there wasn't a few years ago). It would be hard going if it was warm, either way you'll need to wear appropriate shoes and clothes and take refreshments.

The train station at Pompeii is literally just outside the gates.

girlywhirly Sun 30-Jun-13 08:17:51

Unless there has been a change since we went, the only toilets in the whole Pompeii site are inside the entrance by the cafeteria. I would urge you to make use of these before you start, because it's a very big site to get around. There were street vendors stalls outside the gates selling fruit, bottled water, crisps and snacks.

We went on the train from Sorrento. I second being extremely careful, don't wear expensive looking jewellery, wear an across body bag and keep it to the front of you all the time. You will need good footwear for Pompeii, flip flops aren't ideal. It's incredibly dusty as well. Be flexible about when you go, a train strike could happen at any time as it did to us, and when we finally got to Pompeii on another day, there was a staff meeting so everyone had to wait for half an hour for the gates to open!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sun 30-Jun-13 16:14:55

Thank you so much - will bear all this in mind. Interesting about Herculaneum not being a salubrious area... just looked at our hotel (in Ercolano) on Streetview and there is graffiti outside.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Sun 30-Jun-13 16:15:54

And we are cheapskates who always take our own drink & snacks grin will deffo use the loos before we set out grin

zumo Mon 01-Jul-13 21:00:25

I just asked one of the security guards wandering about if we could see the bodies, some villas have them inside in glass cases he never asked for anything, spoke a little English, I tipped him five Euro, another family we spoke to gave 10.
The roads are paved with massive cobbles so its hard going, walking shoes are best I cant remember how it is with a buggy?
Go prepaired and research whet you want to see so you know the way as its massive.
Buses now take you up to the Volcano with a short walk at the end, not cheap though.
Just plan, be safe hide an emergency 100 Euro in you clothes or shoe, have the hotel leaflet with you so if lost just show it to a taxi driver to get home, you will like it as its worth seeing, I wasn't so impressed with the local area but we only stayed one day.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Mon 01-Jul-13 21:10:10

Zumo - thank you!

bekind Fri 05-Jul-13 22:46:10

Thanks for this info, we're also going this summer so this is useful

MazB Tue 23-Jul-13 01:18:50

We were in Pompeii end of May this year - there are a couple of places within the site to eat at which were not horrifically expensive or you could just use them to buy cold drinks. They have toilets too so don't worry if you get caught short once past the entrance!

Would def recommend renting the handheld audio guides which are available either just as you get off train or at the entrance - they cost 10 euros for two but you will have to leave passport as a deposit.

We spent about 6 hours within the site and could've spent a lot longer if we didn't need to get train back to Rome. Shoes you are happy to walk about in on sometimes rough uneven terrain are essential.

It was a fab day out and would definitely recommend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now