Anyone holidayed in Finland?

(9 Posts)
PestoSwimissimos Mon 17-Jun-13 14:05:10
PestoSwimissimos Mon 17-Jun-13 14:04:22

Would your DC's fancy going to

http://www.visitfinland.com/service/moomin-world-and-vaski-adventure-island/ Moomin world]] ?

parabelle Mon 17-Jun-13 13:59:38

In Finland, the mosquito breeding season is very short (about six weeks in July and August), but the mosquitoes make good use of the time. They are a major nuisance in most parts of Finland, and those in Lapland are particularly large, fierce and persistent.

The best way to handle the mosquito problem is through prevention. From June to August, travellers are advised to wear light-coloured clothing, particularly long pants and long sleeved shirts, and avoid highly scented perfumes or aftershave. Use ohvi (mosquito repellent) liberally; the 'Off' brand seems to be particularly effective. If you have a mosquito net, use this too. There are net hats available in sports shops; if you don't mind how absurd they look these are useful for treks and outdoor activities.

When all else fails and the pesky suckers have had their piece of you, look for Etono, a concentrated antihistamine salve that is sold in stick form, for relief from bites. It is available at most pharmacies.

parabelle Mon 17-Jun-13 13:58:16

I'm not sure that's true, my sister travels up to the North of the country and it's beautiful, lots of lakes, lovely countryside. She's never mentioned mosquitos.

SoldeInvierno Sun 16-Jun-13 19:40:04

My colleague is from Finland and she was recently telling me that in the summer, anywhere outside Helsinki, it is full of mosquitos. I was surprised to hear

parabelle Sun 16-Jun-13 15:42:27

My sibling lives there, it's a beautiful country. Been to Helsinki which is good for a city break and going camping this year on the outskirts of Helsinki. Alcohol very expensive grin

AllSWornOut Sun 16-Jun-13 15:35:22

We haven't holidayed in Finland with children, or in the summer, but our 2 autumn/winter holidays there were awesome, it's a lovely country.

Where to go would depend on the ages of your children I suppose, but there's supposed to be some excellent walking further North as well as lovely towns on the West coast. I think the main problem in summer are the midges so you need the right sprays and equipment.

blouseenthusiast Fri 14-Jun-13 16:44:30

Bump

blouseenthusiast Fri 14-Jun-13 15:59:18

In summer, with kids? (not tiny ones?) Where would you go, what would you do? Is it nice? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now