Any one ever been Greek Island hopping?

(56 Posts)
Portofino Tue 11-Jun-13 13:22:54

I am thinking of this for next year as dd wants to see the Acropolis and the photos of the various islands look so gorgeous. I have no idea where to start though....Any tips?

LittleBearPad Wed 19-Jun-13 16:49:35

I'm sorry you didnt feel safe in Athens Plenty. The financial crisis does mean there are beggars but I haven't seen drug addicts in the way you describe on my recent visits. It generally feels very safe to me. Of course you have to be careful, as you would in London or any large city.

The Athens metro is really good, if you have a buggy there are lifts, much better than London.

Other random factoid. The National Archaeological Museum is fantastic. It has lots of stairs outside though. There is disabled/buggy access though. Go to the left, go up onto a bridge and knock on the back door.

Can you tell I'm pushing a buggy on all my visits!

BegoniaBampot Wed 19-Jun-13 20:18:45

Athens is one of the least impressive cities I've been to and felt a bit dodgy. I'm in no rush to go back.

Portofino Wed 19-Jun-13 22:09:37

I plan to do 2 days in Athens. Love the sound of the dolphins. I fully appreciate the financial crisis. Am not offended by beggars. I did lots of trips to Eastern Europe before they all became eu. Better to go there and support the beggars and the tourist industry than avoid IMHO. They need it.

Portofino Wed 19-Jun-13 22:15:34

That might not have sounded right. I meant that Greece, beggars or hotel owners/employers need our euros. It is better to spend money in Greece than to avoid because there are poor people. I can make more difference by going there an spending money than I can by staying away.

PlentyOfFreeTime Wed 19-Jun-13 22:40:56

I don't have a problem with beggars either. But the people who threatened me in Athens were not the usual type of non-aggressive beggars. The Athens people were aggressive drug addicts that you could not avoid. they were living on mattresses on the street and were in a dreadful state. Some had open festering sores, some were drunk and very disorderly.

LittleBear It was the National Archaeological Museum that I was on my way to when I was grabbed. I was staying at the Hotel Stanley. It happened on the main road from the hotel to the museum.

The Acropolis Museum was excellent. I came out of there thinking it was a shame that we are hanging onto their marbles.

LittleBearPad Wed 19-Jun-13 22:52:13

Omonia isn't the nicest part of Athens, unfortunately it's the metro station closet to the NAM.

Athens isn't a pretty city by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think it's less safe than most other capitals. Enjoy your trip Portofino.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now