Any one ever been Greek Island hopping?

(56 Posts)
Portofino Tue 11-Jun-13 13:22:54

I am thinking of this for next year as dd wants to see the Acropolis and the photos of the various islands look so gorgeous. I have no idea where to start though....Any tips?

FuckThisShit Thu 13-Jun-13 09:25:06

I did it when I was 16, so unless you are after a list of the best bars and clubs, I think my experience is useless. if I could remember much grin

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 09:25:49

Hully that sounds absolutely lovely! It is making this year's trip to France seem very dull in comparison. <<ungrateful emoticon>> I shall have to print this thread and go looky on Google Maps.

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 09:27:20

Oh lovely lovely old Greece...

<completely unbiased>

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 09:35:36

What do you reckon the theCaique Cruise ? It would work out very expensive but looks fun. There are lots of flotilla holidays but I don't want to be entrusted with sailing my own boat....

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 09:36:16

You're not Hully Onassis are you Hully? wink

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 09:42:33

Fuck, my only previous visit to Greece was Kavos in Corfu when I was 20. Tis not the kind of holiday experience I am planning for my pfb! grin She is really interested in history at the moment, so I am planning to grab the moment - before the hormone hit and she turns into a sulky teenager.

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 09:54:18

It looks really nice, my caveat would be that it only pootles round Evia, but I can see the attraction of it, deffo.

If you wanted to do that, miss out the western Pelops, but you MUST go to Nauplion, Mystras, Monenvassia and the Mani (all the best places begin with M). You could also add in Epidauras and Mycenae if history is a big thing.

There is a summer prog at Epidauras every year, a mix of music/plays (we have had Helen Mirren/Kevin Spacey) so have a look and maybe see a cultural thing which is a much more interesting way to experience it than looking at the empty theatre (and cooler in the evening). There is also little Epidauas which has events too.

beachyhead Thu 13-Jun-13 10:32:46

That route looks amazing......I'm putting that in the diary. Might prefer it without children....

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 11:05:37

Quick question: In theory we could also do 2 weeks at Easter vs 3 in the summer. Next year that is 7th April onwards. Would it still be too cold for swimming then?

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 11:09:32

Bloody FREEZING

Good time to do driving round and visiting places, sea is bitter.

Fluffy1234 Thu 13-Jun-13 13:40:21

I dit it when I was aged 7, almost 40 years ago and can still taste my first ever stuffed pepper, and feel the wind in my hair waiting for the very early morning ferry to take us to our first island. Such a great experience.

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 19:03:25

I love hully's itinerary for the mainland. I am going to base my research round doing that for a week and doing an island or 2 and spending some days in Athens. Naxos/Poros sound popular choices but I might also look at getting to Santorini, or the mamma Mia islands of Skopelos and Skiathos. Any suggestions of lovely places very welcome. Especially places where there other kids.

Hullygully Thu 13-Jun-13 19:05:26

Poros beaches aren't much cop and it is packed in summer. Naxos is nice and much bigger. And it has (or had) a nudist beach...

burberryqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 19:10:40

well I have not been there for years but remember Anti-Paros a tiny island off Paros as being lovely which might fit in with Santorini quite well.

burberryqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 19:19:49

but if i were you i would choose one main island group and stick to it, i mean Skiathos/Skopelos might not fit in that well with Santorini which as u know is in the Cyclades.

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 19:24:30

Oh I wouldn't do both. I would go for one area. Nudist beach, Hully? Do tell me more....

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 19:26:52

I bookmarked some of the ferry companies going out of Piraeus earlier.

Portofino Thu 13-Jun-13 19:27:09

When I should have been working.

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Jun-13 06:16:15

Skopelos and Skiathos are lovely (or they were about 20 years ago!) - Skopelos much quieter, but Skiathos definitely has/had a nudist beachwink

Hullygully Fri 14-Jun-13 08:20:50

Skiathos is much more developed, because it has an airport. Basically, if you want lively, tourists etc, pick an island with an airport, if you want quieter, pick one without.

BegoniaBampot Tue 18-Jun-13 22:54:16

Did it a long time ago. Was so easy. You just get on a ferry, at the other end there was usually touts selling accommodation (all nice ensuite rooms)and will arrange any transfers. Would imagine this still goes on. We did Corfu, Paros, IOS, Santorini, Athens - that I can remember.

PlentyOfFreeTime Wed 19-Jun-13 12:47:21

About 3 years ago I took the ferry (overnight) from Italy to Patras and then drove down to Athens via some of the archaeological sites.

Had 3 very hot das in Athens (Acropolis, Parliament, Olympic stadia etc). However Athens was a very disturbing place to wander around - admittedly I was a solo traveller. Many of the streets in the centre had drug addicts lying on mattresses on the pavement. I had one come up and grab my shoulder to beg money, as I was waiting to cross the road. Was very glad to leave Athens as I did not feel safe there.

Then went to Tolo a small resort on the Peleponese and an hour or so's drive from Athens. As Hully said, Nafplio is a lovely little town to visit. Corinth and the canal also do-able from Tolo. In Tolo harbour large motor yachts can take you up the Corinth canal or south to visit Spetsas and Hydra. I did the Hydra trip from Tolo and the moment we left the harbour and set out into the bay we were surrounded by leaping dolphins and rainbows of spray - out of this world!

You can also visit Poros, Aegina and Hydra in a day from Piraeus (the port for Athens).

It's also possible to plan in trips to greek theatres (along with amphitheatres these are my favourite things to visit).

PlentyOfFreeTime Wed 19-Jun-13 12:52:48

Sorry - ferry from Italy was to Igoumenista? Patras was the return journey as stayed in Olympia on the way back.

Epidaurus was the highlight of the trip - an incredible theatre.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 19-Jun-13 13:01:48

Yes - but it was about the same time Noah was busy with the Ark, so other than saying 'It was FABBBBBB' I'm no use at all grin

I hope you have a brilliant time.

CatherineofMumbles Wed 19-Jun-13 13:03:47

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now