Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Naples and Rome

(9 Posts)
whitecloud Sat 08-Jun-13 11:40:39

Has anyone been to Naples and Rome recently? Any travel tips and tips on what to do when there would be very welcome. Thank you in advance.

Annunziata Sat 08-Jun-13 22:50:45

Er, where to start.

Naples- avoid the area around the train station and the Spanish quarter. Even in other areas, do not take anything expensive looking with you, no camera, no jewellery, nothing. Be very, very careful at night. Driving is not a good idea.

Rome is much better for tourism! It's quite walkable and the metro is really cheap if you want to use it. We booked tickets for the Vatican but we probably didn't need to. I like just wandering around and eating.

Budgiegirlbob Tue 11-Jun-13 21:38:14

Never been to Naples so can't advise you there.

Best tip for Rome - take comfortable walking shoes. You will walk and walk, it's the easiest way to see the city.

Plan to see the main sights, but also leave time to just wander, you will come across beautiful sights just wandering the side streets.

Take a small drinks bottle and fill it up at the water fountains all over the city.

If you like wine, visit Cul-de-Sac, just off the Piazza Navona, for a huge selection, ranging from reasonably priced to very expensive. Full of locals and very busy, so be prepared to queue a bit.

If you have time, visit the Piazza of the Knights of Malta, and look through the keyhole of the gate, it will make you gasp!

Most important of all, throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain, to ensure you will return to Rome, it's the most amazing place.

mummymeister Wed 12-Jun-13 10:48:15

Went to rome with 3 DC's at May half term. Had a fantastic 5 days. brilliant 3 bed apartment on a square just behind the pantheon through Romelofts. walked everywhere - up St peters, round the Vatican museum, took a bus trip, did the old bits of rome, day trip out to Ostia antica which was an absolute highlight for my 3. Eating out not as expensive as we thought it would be - Pizza for 7 euros. Used the lonely planet guide the most. Also went on the Rome experience to give the kids an overview of what they were seeing. could go on and on so please PM me for more details. I haven't even mentioned the ice creams!!

Did three nights in each Naples and Rome last Autumn. If you've not booked travel already, the train is a really cheap and efficient way to get between the two cities and the scenery is beautiful.

Naples is a bit of a culture shock, and we were staying in the really rough bit close to the station. It's gritty, dirty and not at all pretty - but after a day or so we absolutely loved it. Naples is all about the food and drink - best pizza and coffee you'll ever taste, and cheap too. The area around the museum and university has lots of lovely little cobbled streets. The museum is definitely worth a visit, as is Pompeii for a day trip (travel by metro on the Vesuvius loop). Sorrento is apparently also worth a trip if you're there a while. Despite the initial horror of Naples not being what we expected whatsoever, DP and I still fantasise about going back for a weekend!

There is SO much to do in Rome, you won't get bored - the Colosseum and Forum, the Vatican, the Pantheon, the fountain - there are beautiful buildings everywhere you turn. It is HEAVING with tourists though, particularly Americans and Japanese, and food etc is far more expensive than Naples. An incredible city though, I would like to go back again for longer. Perhaps 5 days in Rome and 2 in Naples, instead of 3 and a half in each.

Fluffy1234 Thu 13-Jun-13 13:46:50

Naples is a good base for Pompeii, Capri or a longer day trip to Sorrento. Rome is amazing. However If i was going to do twin centre holiday in Italy though I would pick Rome and Tuscany.

whitecloud Fri 14-Jun-13 18:09:39

Thanks for all the advice, ladies. Might post about how we get on when I come back!

Wouldn't bother with Naples. It's a bit of a hole!

Roma2013 Thu 20-Jun-13 11:14:08

I've just returned from Rome. It s very beautiful. Travester district is lovely. If you re visitong the Vatican, get there early as the queue is massive and dress appropriately. It s free but I would suggest paying 7 euros to ho upto the Dome. Brilliant 360 degrees views of Rome. Sistine chapel about €16 but you get alot for your money.

I was a bit scared by all the tripadvisor reports of pickpockets but it was fine. Just keep ypur bag across ur chest with a hand on it .if using the subway, get on end carriages as less people/risk. Oh and have the exact change for tickets as at peak hr they only accept exact money. Day roamer tickets are good value.
The colosseum was brilliant. Try and go to the Pantheon when it s throwing down as rain spectacularly poirs through the roof.

Make sure if you sot at a cafe tablee and they bring you crisps, etc to ask if they are free. I found eating out expensive but there are a fair few vans dotted around selling food. Water bottle good for filling up from fountains. Few public loos but you can use the bars discretely. They often hv a pump on the floor for the basin to wash hands. The train is easy enough for airport BUT make sure you allow extra time to get to your terminal at airport as it took us ages from main check in. Had to get a shuttle metro once there.

Spanish steps lovely too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now