Italy recommendations? Ideally near beach/lake

(14 Posts)
fledtoscotland Sun 23-Jun-13 09:18:28

Lake Garda every time. We got married in Gardone.

For families stay at Garda or bardalino where there are campsites along the beach, lovely ice cream shops and plenty to explore. Head to to Riva for water sports and sirmione for a theme park (don't quote me on this as never been there just heard about it). Malcesine is the place to get the cable car up to Monte Baldo

makemineapinot Wed 19-Jun-13 22:44:43

here is fab and about 40 mins from Venice- cant recommend it enough x

kayb0 Wed 19-Jun-13 15:50:37

I'll agree and say Lake Garda is truly stunning, we've been a few times and always had a fabulous time (with and without children). Torbole and Riva del Garda in the North are among our favourites. We drove last year as we were touring but a friend got a cracking deal through Thomas Cook. Have fun!

Tuscany is always a safe bet: Punta Ala, Castiglion della Pescaia, Sabaudia are just wonderful and lots of self catering. Forte dei Marmi is nice but too ott and expensive at the moment.

If you are feeling more advenurousyou will find perfect sea in Puglia, especially the area around Gallipoli and Santa Maria di Leuca. This easter we stayed in a gorgeous masseria nr fasano, the sea is nice, but not as nice as in gallipoli (the area around there is known as little maldives grin for the transparence of the water)

Le Marche (fly into ancona) offer culture and beaches. Fano, Senigallia, San Benedetto have nice beaches ( though the sea isn't crystal blue like in puglia, sicily etc), and only a few km drive from lovely medievl villages on the hills. The food is great. Less expensive than tuscany.

greyvix Fri 07-Jun-13 21:45:36

Lake Garda is beautiful. We stayed there on the way back from a camping holiday near Cecina. It was a long time ago, but I remember San Vincenzo as having nice beaches. Tuscany in general has loads of places to visit. We managed it in the summer with DD aged 4, DD aged 2 and me very pregnant with DD3.
My memory may be distorted, but Florence was very hot!

notyummy Sat 01-Jun-13 16:30:28

Lake Garda. We stayed on campsites with chalets so there were children around to play with but we had air con, showers and toilets. Stunningly beautiful. Would particularly recommend anywhere near Salo as it is beautiful with loads of eateries erc but still v Italian and not as touristy as most places on the lake. We stayed at Camping Eden and can recommend.

Bunbaker Sat 01-Jun-13 16:26:39

Lake Garda is utterly beautiful and lovely and hot, but not too hot, in August. We stayed in the town of Garda, which was less than an hour's drive from Verona airport. I would go back tomorrow.

sunface Wed 29-May-13 12:22:32

oooo brilliant! Thanks all so much, will start checking out some of those links....

BanishedToPadua Wed 29-May-13 11:33:13

San Vincenzo (south of Pisa) is a lovely Italian sea side resort. Viareggio and Pietrasanta (north of Pisa) are also worth a visit.

We went to Lake Garda last year and found that there was a lot to do, it is also very beautiful. The lakes have a lot of German visitors which can make it feel less of an authentic Italian experience. Also, I missed the sea!

We always stay in self catering accommodation with a shared swimming pool and have used booking.com to find suitable places. A few of my recommendations would be:

San Sivino Lake Garda This was very clean with spacious apartments. You need a car.

San Vincenzo It has apartments, is near the town and the beach and has an indoor pool. We loved it here!

Hope you have a lovely time.

LIZS Wed 29-May-13 10:37:43

sorry here , think Thomson et al feature them and similar if you want a package

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Wed 29-May-13 10:32:32

The Lakes definitely.

Any of the big ones, loads of lovely little resorts.

(and I live in Puglia so am biased grin)

LIZS Wed 29-May-13 10:26:09

Lake Garda - I'm sure there are apartments around, especially on the south side ie .http://www.poiano.com/lakegarda/apartments_lake_garda.php . Less than an hour's drive from Verona airport. Good mix of things to do and places to visit. btw 2 months' ahead is far fro last minute ime!

EasterHoliday Wed 29-May-13 10:17:41

the nicest beaches are either the v expensive area in Tuscany (Livorno?) around Forte dei Marmi or way down south in PUglia. Masses of reasonable self catering in Puglia, Ryan Air flights into Brindisi or Bari. Lecce, Otranto and Ostuni are lovely towns (wouldn't go further south than Otranto, it's very dry and not much going on), and the little hill towns iwth Trulli to stay in are lovely. fantastic food - big olive growing region.

sunface Wed 29-May-13 10:12:45

Hi there, we are looking into possibly going to italy this summer (usual last minute us!) have heard great things about the Lakes but unsure where to fly to and if self catering available, not just camping? Also interested in places near a beach, again self catering if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay? We are 2 adults and 2 children. Thank you! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now