Menorca in May - Temperatures

(7 Posts)
mrswimpeydimple Wed 15-May-13 09:10:11

DS (3yo) and I are off to Menorca on Saturday for a week of sunshine (hopefully). Has anyone been in May before and can advise on whether it will warm enough for to play in the outdoor pool and whether he will need shorts and t-shirts for the evening or long trousers and a jumper? Never been to Menorca before, nor the Med in May so haven't a clue! We're staying at Insotel Club Punta Prima, and it's our first trip overseas together so will be huge adventure.

Still also in a dither over whether to take the buggy or not too. Single parent with a 3 year old and two bags to contend with, not sure I have spare capacity to manage the buggy too (he has used it once this year so far).

Any advice hugely appreciated. Thanks

diabolo Wed 15-May-13 17:47:27

Well the Insotel Club Punta Prima is a gorgeous and quite fancy hotel with great pools and facilities - we visited my SIL and BIL and their kids one day while they were holidaying there 2 years ago, and though I don't like hotels, I could see that it looked very smart and catered for families while still being upmarket - so you should enjoy that.

Punta Prima itself is a lovely little resort, do try and spend a bit in the local bars and restaurants if you can. The hotel is up an incline from the resort, but not a long way, so you should be OK without the buggy if you do venture out and about.

The beach is gorgeous, white sand, azure sea etc.

Weather-wise, Menorca can be odd. Always take a jumper / fleece but you might be lucky and not need it. Even in July and August there can be the odd freaky day where it is chilly, then the next day 100 degrees plus. Something to do with the wind I believe.

Looking at the weather there now, on a website I use, it is overcast and thunderstormy for the rest of the week, supposed to improve dramatically on Saturday, so plan for the worst and hopefully you won't need it.

llynnnn Wed 15-May-13 17:59:41

We were in Menorca this time lady year, had a brilliant time...wish we were there now!

The weather was lovely for us most of the week. Plenty warm enough to swim outdoors and get a bit of colour wink. Even in the evenings we never wore cardigans/jackets (although I took them with us!)

We had one day of pretty heavy rain. Still warm enough though (kids still in the pool!) we just wore light rain coats in the evening.

Our dd2 was 3 and we took the buggy. It was handy in the evenings when she got tired and also at the airport for carrying everything!!

Hope you have a great time smile

mrswimpeydimple Thu 16-May-13 09:03:55

Thank you both so much for replying. Nice to hear that the hotel and beach are good.

Seeline Thu 16-May-13 09:19:16

We've been to Majorca a couple of times in May and the weather could be very changeable. It was very windy all the time, we had some rain, and the evenings were definitely chilly. That said the kids were in and out of the pool all the time and we also all turned a nice shade of brown without burning. I'd definitely take a fleece, jumper/cardigan, long trousers for the evening and a light waterproof, but hopefully you'll have brilliant weather smile

Yonihadtoask Thu 16-May-13 16:59:22

My parents are in Menorca this week. They come home tomorrow. Said it's been okay -ish, apart from Weds and Thurs.

It's been a bit rubbish all over though. Hopefully will pick up for you next week.

Take clothes for all occasions and it won't stop you enjoying the holiday.

Have agood time.

mrswimpeydimple Thu 16-May-13 22:37:43

Thanks again everyone, appreciate your responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now