Easyjet, allocated seating and children

(39 Posts)
Fresh01 Tue 14-May-13 13:16:34

Looking for some advice now Easyjet are trying to encourage you to buy allocated seating. We are travelling this summer with 4 kids, ages 7, 5, 3 and 18 months. The baby is on my knee.

My questions are:
- with allocated seating do they still allow families to board after speedy boarding people?
- if we don't buy the allocated seating (expensive for 5 seats each way) will they still give us seats together or at worst 1 adult with 2 kids each?

I don't want to have to buy allocated seating but the children are too young to not be seated next a parent, so what are Easyjet doing with families?

Many thanks.

makemineapinot Sat 01-Aug-15 21:05:03

Flew with Ryanair this year and they asked people on both inbound/outbound flights to move seats to accommodate a family. No one would move as everyone they asked had paid for their seats. They then got desperate (outbound) and asked families with older children - 10+ to move to accommodate them! The family were split for take off and landing. Similar thing happened on way back with a big family and young children 5-9 ish were separated from adults.family got vet go by about it which put people off helping them. I never used to pay but after a horrible experience I do now!

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 24-Jul-15 13:41:07

Sorry just realised its a zombie thread and was answering the OP

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 24-Jul-15 13:38:22

Easyjet is £4.95 to choose seats when checking in, not too expensive. You pay more for extra legroom. I wouldn't risk it for that money.

titchy Fri 24-Jul-15 13:35:44

If you do online check-in as soon as you can (a month before the flight I think) you get your seats allocated all together then.

I would be HIGHLY unlikely that an entire plane load of passengers checked in a month before.....

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 24-Jul-15 13:11:21

Staff at the airport told us crew would help. Sadly, the crew was aggressive and unhelpful. First time I ever experience this, having flown with them 2 to 4 times a year, for 6 years with kids.

Bad luck + bad crew (trip is to visit relative in hospital - last minute shit does happen). Should not cost extra for the privilege (an actual requirement) of seating next to young kids.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 24-Jul-15 11:18:39

According to this Easyjet will guarantee that children will sit with their parents:

We have flown with Easyjet many times and we check in online and have always had 4 seats together.

Maybe if you fly with Easyjet again make you you check in online as soon as you can and then if you find you aren't seated together you can phone up and ask what to do or if neccessary pay to change the seats so you could sit together.

I really don't see why families should have to pay to sit next to each other. It is completely unacceptable for a small child not to be sat by a parent and why should an stranger have responsibility for someone else's child.

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 24-Jul-15 00:26:38

Correct. If everyone else pays, you do not get seats together. Early boarding with kids makes no chge (assuming they call it).

We did notice and asked check-in staff what to do. Answer was to ask the crew, no reallocation possible at desk (easyjet system would have had on file that 2 children where allocated away from adults in party though, which is odd).

In practice - true - we could have paid. But i do not see why i shld. I do not care about sitting close to DH. I care about being able to parent kids on flight for their own sake and that of other passengers sitting nearby.

Anyway not really seeking advice, even less looking for wee scoldings of what i could have done. More interested of putting this out there for the folks who may be worried about all that shitty business. For the other who are happy to pay extra, knock yourselves out, it may save you a stressful seat shuffle!

PrimalLass Thu 23-Jul-15 20:54:02

I don't get it. When you check in online you are allocated seats. Do it early enough and you're all together?

Not if everyone else has paid extra to sit where they want.

Ubik1 Thu 23-Jul-15 20:52:14

HVe you tried online check in?

Otherwise easyjet is actually quite civilised and boards families after the speedy boarders. There are five of us and we usually manage to sit together or in close proximity with an adult next to a child.

I never pay for allocated seating and I have flown domestic flight easyjet and Ryanair with young children for the last decade.

lennonj Thu 23-Jul-15 20:48:11

We want to sit together when we fly with easyjet so we've paid, I wouldn't swap with a family that hasn't paid even though my children are not little. I don't agree with having to pay to sit together but that's the way it is!

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-15 20:44:38

You choose your seats when you check in online so unless you left it very late you had a chance to amend in advance. Heard a piece on radio earlier about Easyjet overbooking flights and bumping 2 out of a party of 6 off at the airport. But if they had checkin online I don't see how that could occur.

Coconutty Thu 23-Jul-15 20:40:48

Didn't you notice when you printed your boarding cards?

I don't get it. When you check in online you are allocated seats. Do it early enough and you're all together?

MarasmeAbsolu Thu 23-Jul-15 18:49:10

A bit of a zombie thread post / thingy here.
Just flew easyjet. Got 4 seats allocated all over plane. Crew shouted (yes shouted) that if i want to seat with my children, i d have to pay. DH amd i split up, i managed to get them to shuffle passengers and had my DD (5) nxt to me. DH, at front of plane got convinced by crew that my 2yo sat accross aisle from him nxt tk strangers would be ok. At that point i lost it and swapped dd5 for dd2. The dd2 was nxt to me (her first flight on real seat). Dd5 was accross aisle from DH. Crew kept going on on how we inconvenienced everyone.

ernesttheBavarian Fri 17-May-13 22:02:48

If yo check in online as early as possible you will have seats together. You only wouldn't if you checked in later and a lot of the seats were already allocated. You can normally check in quite a while in advance.

They still do have speedy boarding and you can board, with children under 5, after the speedy boarders.

It's normally about 6 quid a seat give or take, and I have never bothered, and always sat by my dc (darn easy jet)

Bugnor Fri 17-May-13 21:39:05

I could and I know it's a shirt flight but you shouldn't be sold something that you can't deliver. Ie. don't sell reserved seats for families if in any doubt you can't honour it. Simply don't mention it twice on your seating choices page at booking that families can sit together etc. a bit if integrity and honesty that's all.

forevergreek Fri 17-May-13 12:30:17

Bugnor - could you not let dh sit with baby and you sit alone?

Bugnor Fri 17-May-13 07:22:41

Easyjet sound better than British airways (crapways) who expect me to sit separately to my husband with my 9.5 month old baby, a broken hand and first trimester of pregnancy despite charging us £700 for tickets to Mallorca and letting us book seats together initially they've decided to change them 7 days before flying. They are crap. What annoys me is that their website is all geared up to get families to book 'sit together' and 'travel together' with images of a family all having fun on the plane. I tell you what everyone on that flight is going to hate us as we've never even flown with him before! Raging my campaign of hate against BA!!

forevergreek Thu 16-May-13 11:47:46

Well children under 5 have always had free speedy boarding anyway. So if you travel with a baby/ toddler you can speedy board without a seat allocated

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 16-May-13 11:17:52

Sorry I thought they had stopped speedy boarding when they changed to allocated seating. Why would anyone pay extra for speedy boarding when you already have your seat allocated?

Fresh01 Thu 16-May-13 10:15:54

Jollyb, they must vary the price of allocated seating depending on time of year. We are flying in August and when DH priced it it was over £100. Will get him to check again.

Jollyb Wed 15-May-13 22:29:44

Flew back from Portugal with Easyjet on Sunday with our 2 year old. Definitely still have speedy boarding. We were allowed to board after the speedy boarders.

We went for allocated seating for ease - was £3 per seat for each flight so not extortionate.

Fresh01 Wed 15-May-13 22:22:13

Thanks for the replies.

I started thinking about it all as 4 couples we know flew with Jet 2 a month ago, none paid for allocated seating and only one couple were seated next their partner. The other 6 were spread throughout the plane on both journeys. So if a couple can't be sat together what hope do 6 of us have.

I don't really want to pay for allocated seating as for 5 seats each way it costs a lot. Think we will take the risk and as you say worst case it should be each adult sat with 2 kids.

LittleBearPad Wed 15-May-13 20:49:01

They definitely still have speedy boarding but as far as I can tell its a waste of cash. All seating is allocated so its not like the bunfight on Ryanair. It seems mainly to be an opportunity to queue for longer to board as people without it sit comfortably waiting for their turn. I'd take your chances with allocated seating. They won't in reality put children by themselves.

BananaPie Wed 15-May-13 20:40:30

I'm flying jet2 later this year with dh and 2 year old. I haven't paid the extra for allocated seats - working on the assumption that no-one else will want to sit next to a 2 year old (not sure I do!) so will swap if we end up being separated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now