Italy - holidays with small children

(11 Posts)
insanelycheerful Tue 14-May-13 12:11:02

Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay in Italy with small children (4 and 2)?

Definitely looking for self catering. We tend to prefer villa/cottage holidays, although I would also be happy with eurocamp type holiday (OH less keen!) to save on cost. We are not mad keen on the massive waterpark set up with most campsites - the kids like swimming and we would use a pool, but we like to get out and about exploring so would be happy with a smaller site with fewer amenities, a bit quieter etc.....(probably sound like killjoys!)

Can anyone recommend villas/holiday homes/campsites for us please? We do have a tent but for this holiday would probably prefer something already set up (mobile home/big tent) if we went for the camping option.

Looking to go late June/early
July.....

bumping for you and piggybacking on your thread,

We're looking for August for 2-3 weeks (DC 6 and 3), if anyone can recommend a cottage/villa with pool (shared is fine) in a nice area we can use as a base to take some day trips.

Maybe we've left it too late for this summer, hopefully not though

I have friends who have camped around Lake Como. It's beautiful there. If you want somewhere quieter and non-touristy, I can recommend Abruzzo.

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/italy-abruzzo-4bed.htm
www.villarenters.com/rent-villas/italy/abruzzo/

insanely I've just been looking at airbnb. I think you might find something on there, most likely an apartment though.

Thanks little, will check out your links

I meant to add, because Abruzzo is quieter, it is cheaper to eat out (the food is amazing), the locals are very friendly, kind and love children. The beaches are good and many are blue flag. There are some lovely towns to visit too. DH and I have been going since 2003!

SofiaAmes Tue 14-May-13 20:00:40

When we lived in London, we would go here to stay. It's a family owned place and the people are lovely. We went for 7 years with kids of all ages. The apartments have separate bedrooms and kitchen (different sizes have different amenities) and includes an umbrella on the beach (just below) which is super shallow so perfect for little kids. Make sure you tell them you have young kids and ask to be in the lower building (the one further up the hill is a bit of a haul with younger kids). We would also use the staff to babysit (in our apartment) if we wanted a night out without the kids. It's not super cheap, but the price includes everything, so there are no surprises afterwards. Sperlonga is on the sea just between Rome and Naples. You would fly into Rome and take the train down to Sperlonga. It's about an 1 1/4 hrs train ride. And then bus from train station to Residence. Again, easy to do with young kids...

insanelycheerful Tue 14-May-13 20:54:18

Thanks everyone! Was v chuffed to check in and see your suggestions smile

insanelycheerful Tue 14-May-13 20:55:10

Hope you find something too herroyal and glad to know we're not the only last minute merchants wink

Campiglioni.it (is near monteviachi Tuscany)

We've been going for years since DS was 2.

Has a salt water pool and people who
Own it are fab. Lots of places to visit around that area. Sienna being our fave.

I have recommended it on here before and met a mumsnetter there who took notice of my recommendation.

Thanks Sofia and madameC, will check those out.

Fingers crossed our work ends when it should and we can take the time off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now