Single mum traveling abroad

(7 Posts)
Carla85 Fri 10-May-13 21:01:06

Hi,

Booking a holiday to Menorca for me and my little boy (7yrs). Has anyone else travelled abroad alone for a week? Bit dubious but need a hol and want to spend some quality time together as I work two jobs.

Thanks for any advice or tips

Carla xx

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 11-May-13 18:27:50

I'm a single parent of a 6yo and I've taken him abroad twice, once to Ibiza and last time to Lanzarote. I'm currently looking at Majorca for next year.

My tips would be to avoid night flights and pick a hotel with kids facilities including a kids club. My DS loves a couple did sessions in a kids club and I love a bit of peace and quiet!

You work two jobs? I'm thinking of getting a second job. Can I be nosey and ask what jobs you do and how you manage to fit them in?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 11-May-13 18:29:06

Oh, and I recommend all inclusive when you have small kids, as they want drinks and/or ice cream every two minutes.

Yonihadtoask Sat 11-May-13 18:36:12

I was LP for a few years when DS was ages 2 to 9. We went all over together.

Flight to California to visit relatives when DS was 2 was probably the hardest smile

We had a few trips to the Canaries, and mainland Spain. All fun. I did choose resorts which had lots of British tourists though for those just to keep it simple.

We tended to go self catering, found it easiest. Eating at least one meal a day in restaurants though.

I did 'lose' DS in Lanzarote when he was 5. Was the worst 10 mins ever. Luckily he had made his way back to the hotel and reported himself lose to the staff smile.

It's great to spend time together, you'll make fantastic memories.

Have fun.

Yonihadtoask Sat 11-May-13 18:38:40

Sorry for typos.

Carla85 Sun 12-May-13 10:12:33

Thanks got the replies, great advice xx

makemineapinot Sun 19-May-13 22:41:34

I'm a single mum and met other lone parents in our hotel last year in Majorca - Club Martha in Cala Eos outside Cala D'Or. Great kids club, entertainment etc but it in your face! SC was much cheaper and it was soooo cheap to eat out in resort (2mis walk) that Zi was pleased we didn't do AI - spent less than 600 E for 2 weeks with 2 dc and we ate out every night and did a couple of trips. Took drinks for kids down to entertainment and that saved some money but bought my wine from the bar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now