I want to drive to France and stay in a villa with a pool.

(19 Posts)
deemented Fri 10-May-13 14:40:17

Any reccomendations?

There will be 2 adults and five children aged between 2 and 15.

Haven't a clue where to go or what to look for so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Probably within reasonable distance of beach/lake/activities.

BackforGood Fri 10-May-13 14:42:48

I found Chez Nous quite good when I used them, and they were recommended to me.

deemented Fri 10-May-13 17:26:37

Oh, thank you BackforGood smile I have looked at that site previously - i've now bookmarked it. Any reccomendations for somewhere hot in June next year?

I've used James Villas a lot, and would recommend them.

frenchfancy Fri 10-May-13 20:23:17

The Vendee is a good bet if you are driving. I think owners direct is better than chez nous. Make sure you get a heated pool.

sweetestcup Sat 11-May-13 13:44:10

You are never guaranteed sunshine of course. Loved the Vendee last year, we stayed here, booked through Chez Nous, someone on here had booked it and linked it. Pool was solar heated. Not exactly a villa though, more a little cottage, but it was so private and peaceful, we had meals on the decking everyday overlooking the river.

The year before we stayed here in the Languedoc, it was September and still lovely weather as its the South of France but yes pool a bit nippy! We booked that through Cottages for You but I would always do it direct now. This was a villa and very spacious. The owner is an artist who drives around Europe all Summer, her paintings are hung throughout the villa.

sweetestcup Sat 11-May-13 13:54:46

Obviously mine would be too small, just read you have 5 children, sorry. But it will give you an idea of whats out there.smile

deemented Sat 11-May-13 17:03:39

Thanks all!

I think we might have found somewhere! Anyone been to the Poitou-Charentes region? Have seen a lovely farmhouse with it's own pool that smilei've enquired about -

sweetestcup Sat 11-May-13 23:02:30

Can you link it? smile

<nosey>

deemented Sat 11-May-13 23:08:57
sweetestcup Sat 11-May-13 23:38:06

Oh I promise I wont! That looks lovely, the pool looks great.

We are actually missing out on France this year because our big holiday of a lifetime is this year, a Californina Road Trip, but in a funny way Im going to miss France grin

We only go 1 week (it takes 2 days to drive from Glasgow) but next year we fancy 2 weeks, 1 week somewhere in the Languedoc and then somewhere nearer Monaco because DH has always wanted to go.

deemented Sun 12-May-13 07:21:11

Oh wow - California sounds fantastic!!

I've never been to France before, only through it en route somewhere else, but i felt the need to get away somewhere relatively warm. And the pool looks amazing - swimming lessons have finally clicked with the middle two, so thats a big factor for us. Didn't fancy flying with all the children, but do enjoy driving so this was a god solution! Bit daunted as they drive on the other side over there, don't they?

deemented Sun 12-May-13 07:22:18

Oh and it'll be our late honeymoon too - we're getting married this September!

Badgerwife Sun 12-May-13 07:27:48

Poitou-Charentes is great. The nearby seaside town of Royan is super popular with the French, great sandy beach and lots of beach activities, the La Palmyre zoo as well. I remember going on school trips there

sweetestcup Sun 12-May-13 13:36:34

Cant wait, but just adore our holidays in France so much Im going to miss that to! For the last 3 years we have had our own pool and it makes our holiday. Just to have it all to yourselves, a large part is just either relaxing around or in it, you will love it. Honeymoon, thats great! Come back and let me know how it all went smile

My DH does all the driving, but he found driving on the other side of the road no bother. Going through Paris is always fun hmm but its great having the freedom of your own car to potter about in once you are there.

SizzleSazz Sun 12-May-13 13:42:18

Don't go through Paris if you are going Dover/Calais - there is a new road built via Rouen and Le Mans which is much easier for central France

FannyMcNally Sun 12-May-13 13:50:11

Wow! That villa is lovely AND available for half term! I wish I hadn't already made plans!

deemented Sun 12-May-13 15:41:01

Thank you for all the info!! Getting quite excited now, have spoken with the owners and they are happy for me to put a small deposit down now, via cheque, and then the rest of deposit the end of January next year with the remainder of the balance and the breakages deposit due 8 weeks before we go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now