Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich with a baby

(7 Posts)
Zara1984 Thu 09-May-13 08:14:08

Just wondering if anyone has advice about visiting Neuschwanstein Castle (next week!) - travelling from Munich as a day trip. We will be visiting with our 6 month old DS.

Is taking the regional train out and then bus the best option, or would hiring a car and driving be better?

sophiaverloren Thu 09-May-13 08:24:16

Ooh lucky you! We are going at half term, will be my first visit after 20+ years so v excited. We are actually planning on doing the train and bus combo (but with a 8 yr old) and it seems OK. In my dim and distant memory there is a bit of a hike to the castle whichever way you get there which may be a bit more problematic..but assume there are means of transport available that my dad was too tight to go for! sorry, no help, just using the opportunity to get excited but hopefully someone with actual knowledge will be along shortly...

DeepRedBetty Thu 09-May-13 08:28:21

I remember there was a horse and cart taxi available for the hike-ey bit! dtds loved it, although horse+sunny weather=horseflies so insect repellent v. useful.

minniethemooch Thu 09-May-13 08:50:38

We did this trip with local train and bus with an 18mth old. Provided you can carry your baby ( maybe in a sling/ backpack) would say it was fine. Progress with a toddler was slooooowgrin
Also , as previously mentioned you can take horse and cart if all too much .
HTH

Zara1984 Thu 09-May-13 14:52:16

Thanks!! Was worried it was totally unfeasible (but DS in his half-year on earth has been to New Zealand and back, and goes on public transport every day... Not sure why I'm so anxious!).

I have an ergo sling. Hopefully can manage the walk to the castle ourselves, it's good exercise for me! Taking the Maclaren XLR for the whole holiday but will leave it at home for the trip to Nueschwanstein.

Hadn't thought of insect repellent, should pick some up. Good idea!

Definitely preferring the train option, I had a quick look at car hire and it's €110 just for one day, not including car seat shock shock

Zara1984 Thu 09-May-13 15:02:52

Now I'm feeling adventurous!! Maybe I should go to Salzburg on a day trip to do the Sound of Music tour, too! DH is working most of the week so will be just myself and DS....

JillJ72 Sat 11-May-13 19:45:47

Enjoy Neuschwanstein. IMO the horse and cart ride adds to the experience as it is a bit of a hike uphill smile

An alternative to Salzburg that i would recommend is Lindau, on the Bodensee (Lake Constance). Alternatively there's Oberstdorf... or Berchtesgaden. Envious, moi?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now