France hotel recommendations needed pls - half way between

(16 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 08-May-13 10:08:34

Calais and the Vendee? We need to drive from Calais to the Vendee for our first gite in France this summer - 7 hour drive (tho we did it last summer and I think it took longer...) - does anyone have recommendations of where is roughly half way, and where to stay? Just need a motorway hotel, nothing fancy. I think Le Mans or Alencon will be roughly half way. Thanks!

Portofino Wed 08-May-13 10:54:11

I think you cant go far wrong with one of Accor Hotels I always book Novotels as they have family rooms, playground, pool. good childrens menu, free breakfast for kids etc. But there are cheaper options - Ibis, F1 etc

frenchfancy Wed 08-May-13 12:24:25

Rouen is about half way. We stayed once at some where called I think Best Hotel. They had a family room and it wasn't too expensive.

Yonihadtoask Wed 08-May-13 12:30:18

Etap are always a good bet. Car parking (sometimes you have to pay, but at least all your stuff is nearby).

In past years we have stopped off in Rouen (etap), Blois (Hotel de France et de Guise) and Vendome (hotel Vendome).

I never fancied the Formule 1 chain as I believe you have to share a bathroom. For a few quid more the Etap suit us. But I do like to use an independent hotel now and again for a change.

Portofino Wed 08-May-13 13:10:07

We stayed at the Novotel at Rouen Sud last year. Twas fine and the car park is locked at night.

googietheegg Wed 08-May-13 13:11:33

Etap is called Ibis Budget now. Also Premier Classe is great and only 40 euros ish

PhyllisDoris Wed 08-May-13 13:13:15

Also Formule 1 hotels are good and cheap. Very basic, but clean and fine for an overnight.

peppersquint Thu 09-May-13 11:08:58

Rouen can be hard to negotiate - I would suggest Alencon and then you have a shorter drive the morning after.

gallicgirl Thu 09-May-13 11:12:02

I know a lovely b&b near to St Valerie. Not sure it's far enough over for you though.
I'll try to remember the name and post later!

gallicgirl Thu 09-May-13 11:15:18

Right, try www.aupresbytere.fr

Run by Corinne and Franck Souchon, both speak English so don't worry about calling. They have a lovely little dog called Brad Pitt grin

CocktailQueen Fri 10-May-13 08:43:37

Peppersquint - we stayed in Rouen last year and it seemed to take hours to escape the next day! Thanks smile We have an early tunnel crossing booked so will look at Alencon. Thanks!

peppersquint Fri 10-May-13 12:42:52

No problem - think that's best solution, especially as there are new diversions around Rouen at the moment (they have been there about six months and don't appear to be going anytime soon) and it's a real nightmare to negotiate. We're going to a wedding in the UK in August and will be staying in Alencon on way home rather than Rouen (live in Vendee) Have a great holiday by the way

peppersquint Fri 10-May-13 12:44:27

Forgot to add - there is a Campanile in Alencon just off the motorway - there are some special offers on the Campanile website at the moment. R

CocktailQueen Fri 10-May-13 19:52:56

eek - have booked le Hotel de Paris in Alencon for 48 euros for 2 rooms!!! eek. V cheap... but it has good reviews on Trip Advisor...

peppersquint Sat 11-May-13 07:05:32

Sounds a very good deal - may well do that myself!

CocktailQueen Sat 11-May-13 17:47:29

Lol! Hmm. Hope it will be ok.website prices are 48 euros per room so s bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now