How to manage luggage, toddler and buggy alone?

(12 Posts)
jkklpu Sun 05-May-13 22:25:33

If you're driving to the airport, you're only going to have to walk from the car park to the check-in. Over that distance, you can make sure the pram doesn't tip up.

Yika Sun 05-May-13 22:23:16

Yes, it's a lightweight collapsible buggy. I don't feel comfortable going without it just in case we have one or more days out and DD needs it to rest or sleep in.

If I hang anything much on the handles it tips up. I'm going to practise with the various combinations you describe above! And will try to pack light!

I'll drive to the airport and leave the car in the airport carpark. I think it's the easiest.

BananaPie Sun 05-May-13 22:01:45

Use a backpack for your hold luggage - easy to push the buggy with a backpack on. Bring a large holdall as hand luggage and hang it on the buggy handles (while then buggy is occupied / on the buggy seat when the toddler gets out). I do this a lot and it works well.

jkklpu Sun 05-May-13 21:52:59

Agree with 3-monthMaid - it's really not that hard. And if you're going for only a week, you don't need to take much stuff with you. I've done a week's holiday with 2 ds (4 and 2) with one hold bag.

3MonthMaid Sun 05-May-13 21:50:08

I've done it many times. The toddler goes in the buggy, you use a backpack as hand luggage and a wheeled case. It is perfectly possible to push a buggy wearing a backpack and pulling a case with one hand!

Earlybird Sun 05-May-13 21:44:18

How are you getting to the airport?

Earlybird Sun 05-May-13 21:43:42

Presume buggy is collapsible? If not, get one. Would be mad to take a big/heavy one.

Yika Sun 05-May-13 21:42:33

OK! Didn't know one could hire a porter - great tip, that's exactly what I need!

Could you lose the pushchair? Do Club Med have ones you can borrow when you get there? Can anyone help you drop your suitcase in on the way out at least?

I flew to Oz with a (just) 3year old and a 5 year old, didn't find i needed a buggy and managed the various transfers just by ushering them along. It can be done!

PoppyWearer Sun 05-May-13 21:39:00

I was going to suggest a porter. I had to hire one when pregnant with DC1 and going on long work trips with heavy luggage, and it was very worth it!

Earlybird Sun 05-May-13 21:37:35

Can you put everything on a trolley and have toddler walk alongside?

Alternatively, put toddler in buggy and hire a porter to help with luggage?

Yika Sun 05-May-13 21:34:46

I'm flying to Marrakech with my 2.7 year old in a week's time for a week's holiday. Only twice have I travelled with her on train or plane, and then it was only for a weekend. This time we'll have more luggage. I want to take the pushchair both for the airport and for sightseeing, though I expect we will stay mainly at the hotel (Club Med). Any tips for managing luggage, toddler and pushchair all at once? I found it quite difficult even for the shorter trips to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now