have whittled down my holiday options and would like mumsnet reviews, advice

(17 Posts)
frazzled74 Fri 03-May-13 18:03:50

Im looking for a lovely relaxing holiday with dh and 3 dcs under 10, one in a pushchair. My budget is quite low and so have found a few options within my price range,please can i have your thoughts on- Ibiza Santa eulalia, Cala n bosch in menorca, cala n forcat in menorca, mojacar in costa almeria, and Troulos Skiathos,Praia de luz Algarve, the hotels all have ok reviews so i just need to choose the best place, I would probably choose skiathos but not sure if it will be best with a pushchair etc.

diabolo Sat 04-May-13 17:06:33

Cala'n Bosch is nicer than Cala'n Forcat IMO, it has a marina, nice for stroll around on an evening, a beach, small water park and mini golf etc.

I've heard not great things about Cala'n Forcat, although I've never been to that resort, I hear it's one of the very few in Menorca that is quite English. Also, no beaches to speak of.

On the plus side, both are near Ciutadella, the Island's old capital, which has to be one of the most wonderful towns in the Med.

Menorca is great for kids, short flight, Menorquins adore children. We went first when DS was nearly 4 and go back every year.

dreamingofsun Sun 05-May-13 09:34:41

we stayed at lagos and visited praia for the day. its ok, but i was pleased we were staying in lagos. its a bay, with sandy beach backed by restaurants. i would imagine it would be very young child friendly

JKO73 Sun 05-May-13 18:25:16

We went to Cala'n bosch last August and had the most lovely holiday. In general I think Menorca is fab for families with small children. I really wanted to go back this year by DH was keen to 'try somewhere new' so we're off to Puerto Pollensa at the end of May - keeping my fingers crossed that it's as lovely as Cala'n Bosch!

izzybobsmum Sun 05-May-13 19:39:14

Ibiza is much more family friendly than people think - we've been to Playa d'en Bossa twice, and Santa Eulalia is lovely - nice wide bay, fairly modern, 20 minutes on bus into Ibiza town.

JK073 - Puerto Pollensa is gorgeous! Been there twice too, and itching to go back.

makemineapinot Mon 06-May-13 00:39:44

Skiathos is amazing and yes u can do it with a pushchair! Go.... Love it there (used to live there and loved it!) Troulos s amply orientated and the Greeks love children. Calad'en Bosch would be my second choice but way way below Skathios! Unbelievably beautiful place :-)

makemineapinot Mon 06-May-13 00:40:23

Family orientated!! Hate iPad predictive text....

frazzled74 Mon 06-May-13 22:04:57

thankyou, skiathos or cala den bosch it is then! back to the brochures!

makemineapinot Mon 06-May-13 23:35:22

Love both but Skiathos has more charm IMO plus you don't need a car,small island and a good bus service - the Greeks (and Spanish!) love children and bend over backwards to accommodate you. Which hotel are you looking at? Koukounaries is also family orientated with a beautiful beach. jK073 we're off to Puerto Pollensa in July so wild be grateful to hear restaurant reviews etc!!! Thanks!!

We had some wonderful holidays in Cala n Bosch when DCs were little. It's a long way from the airport though so I would book a taxi transfer.

Santa Eulalia also lovely, traditional resort with a long promenade.

Cala'n Forcat is horrid, scruffy and down market.

diabolo Fri 10-May-13 21:22:16

A long way from the airport would be in Turkey - 3 hours over rough mountain roads from Dalaman to Turunc for example, after a 5 hour flight.

However, a 40 minutes drive from Mahon airport to Cala'n Bosch is not a long way in the scheme of things grin

I remembered it as 3 hours? Must be thinking of somewhere else.

diabolo Sun 12-May-13 16:12:14

secret the whole of Menorca only takes 45 minutes to drive from East Coast to West and 30 mins from North Coast to South grin

It probably does take much longer than that on a transfer coach making multiple stops in various resorts though I suppose. You may well be right, if there was a delay on one of the drop-offs etc.

grin Ah that will be it then the coach transfer. We did it once with a 4 and 6 year old and it kind of cancelled out the benefit of the short flight. Next time we took a taxi which was much quicker.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 15-May-13 11:26:57

I would choose Skiathos, I quite fancy there myself smile

Seeline Wed 15-May-13 11:31:01

We did the coach transfer to Cala'n Bosch last year and even with a major accident on the main road we did it in just over an hour.
Going again this year so we liked it grin
Puerto Pollensa is gorgeous - lovely walk under the pine trees along the beach.

Jibberoo Wed 15-May-13 11:33:34

Skiathos is nice but 2 things to consider. 1 lots of Mosquitos 2 don't expect a bath (most hotels only have showers and no curtains))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now