Malta or Croatia??

(22 Posts)
feeltheforce Mon 29-Apr-13 10:56:40

We've done Spain, Italy and France to death so I fancy Malta or Croatia this year.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to which is best or where to go? confused

Portofino Mon 29-Apr-13 11:13:04

We went to Zadar for a long weekend, last year. We really enjoyed it but the food was dire - hardly any seafood, and what there was was hugely expensive - and has put me off the idea of going back for longer.

feeltheforce Mon 29-Apr-13 11:16:09

What were the beaches like? Is it a bit rocky for kids?

EuroShaggleton Mon 29-Apr-13 11:19:57

I went to Malta a couple of years ago and Croatia a long time ago (when it was still part of Yugoslavia!). Croatia had lovely scenery but was an odd place. It was on the road to war then, so the rest of what I can tell you is probably not relevant. Malta is interesting for the ancient sites - the Hypogeum (book before you go) and some of the outdoor sites. It's not a particularly attractive place though. The beach resort developments are pretty horrible, tbh.

feeltheforce Mon 29-Apr-13 16:00:02

Oh really, is Malta over developed then?

Fluffy1234 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:51:47

You have good taste, both places are beautiful. I went to Croatia 2 years ago and stayed on a tiny island called Kolocep with no cars and just one hotel and visited other islands and Dubrovnik by ferry. The views were amazing. Kolocep had a sandy beach but that is quite unusual for Croatia.
I went to Malta on a cruise last year and had never really fancied going and absolutely loved it. The architecture is slightly Arabic looking and I would really like to go back in a few years time.
I found Malta hotter than Croatia in August and both places would make a great change from Spain/Italy.

I was about to recommend Kolocep Villas but fluffy beat me to it smile

Fluffy1234 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:55:19

So beautiful isn't it?

Gorgeous. I want to try the Istrian Riviera next time.

Fairyloo Tue 30-Apr-13 11:00:43

Croatia is gorgeous, cheap, beautiful scenery, I have been to brac, hvar, split and dubrovbic. Food lovely, a lot of meat and fish. People gorgeous I loved it.

Malta was nice, a bit boring maybe not a great lot for me and fault to keep us entertained

Croatia all the way

What time of year would you be going? I love Malta (biased as am dual national- dh is maltese and we are moving there next year) but have never been to Croatia. You have to be aware of how hot it gets in Malta at certain times of year. I can give you plenty recommendations of where to go for food etc and what to do though.

feeltheforce Tue 30-Apr-13 14:19:29

We're planning to go in August.

feeltheforce Tue 30-Apr-13 14:21:51

Is there lots to do for LOs in each? We are beginning to find that villa holidays which amount to sitting by the pool in hot locations are a bit boring for them (especially in the heat of August).

feeltheforce Tue 30-Apr-13 14:22:23

fairyloo why was Malta boring?

August is the hottest month feel and can get up to the 50s, plus it's a clammy heat too. If you don't think you or the dcs would cope with that I'd strongly advise against it. For things to do have a look at this which has some good ideas. You could also take a ferry over to Gozo which is always a nice day out, and they are building a new aquarium at the moment I think it's in San Pawl or Bugibba but I'm not sure when it opens. In many places you can get a horse drawn carriage to show you around, though I've never done it myself. There is the Malta Vintage Car museum which is really cool (but we are petrol heads grin) It really depends on what you and the kids enjoy doing- there are loads of museums and places of interest and restaurants.

Fairyloo Tue 30-Apr-13 17:06:44

St Julian's is quite nice buzzy with nightlife ect. I just found it a bit dull.

Can't really put my finger on it. Might be because my grab loves it!!

gindrinker Tue 30-Apr-13 18:15:44

I'm doing Croatia this year.
We're staying in Dubrovnik and going to catch a ferry to the islands. I need some sun, but also want some culture and prettyness.

Pretty cheap if you stay out the 'old town' in Dubrovnik and there are more resort-y hotels with pools and such like.

MiniTenrec Wed 01-May-13 09:24:37

We went to Croatia last year, had a fantastic time on the Istrian peninsula. Plenty to do, beaches don't tend to be sandy there, but we don't care what the beach is made of.

Alidoll Thu 09-May-13 20:31:23

Going to Croatia in August. Was there many, many, many years ago with my parents when I was a kid so taking my wee girl there this yr. From what I can see, there has been a massive building phase with new hotels, sports facilities, roads etc as Croatia joining the EU later this yr so should be interesting.

narmada Thu 09-May-13 22:51:42

Have been to croatia loads, malta never, so am biased and ill-informed, but croatia every time (grin). Food is usually good and italian-esque.

There are some resorts with sandy beaches in Croatia. Good choices for you could be the peljesac peninsula -particularly orebic area ( trstenica is a sandy beach). Or one of the islands like others hsve suggested.

MrsFrederickWentworth Thu 09-May-13 23:28:51

Malta only really has one sandy beach, up at Golden Bay. Its snorkelling is fantastic though.

It's a fascinating island with prehistoric, Roman, Venetian remains. The food is less exciting than Italian and if you know where to go it is lovely, if you don't it looks like horrid development.

Gozo is greener but less to do save IB the water sport front.

Yes, it gets very hot.

I've only been to Malta; DH and I loved it. Stayed in a v nice hotel in St Julien (?) and explored from there. Hypogeum was fascinating, as were other ancient sites. Had some nice meals out etc and had a lovely time but not somewhere I would take my DD as very little to do for her. The one beach was over crowded and not that nice.

I'd go Croatia I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now