1week with 14 week old baby.....a terrible idea? Recommendations please!

(11 Posts)
sofi0308 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:00:46

go to caserio del mirador, like self catering, but better. you get a kitchen/fridge/hob/sofa etc but with all the baby gear and as many meals provided/delivered/shared/ whatever you want.. and you know when someone says babyfriendly except everyone frowns at you when baby kicks off, its not like that at all. not many places compare. i should submit a review shouldnt i, but i havnt yet. its my secret. (was!)

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 25-Apr-13 11:36:34

I took both mine away when they were tiny, it was fine.

I agree with the other that self catering would be better, you will have more space and wont be stcuk in a hotel room while your baby sleeps. We always do self caternig but we always eat out.

sofi0308 Thu 25-Apr-13 09:39:11

we did california at 9 wks, best holiday ever. you get great service with a tiny one too, everyone loves you. well loves the baby anyway. everyone should do a flight pre weaning and realise how easy it is. otherwise just spend your whole mat leave at home trying to do wifey stuff and failing miserably..

Longdistance Tue 23-Apr-13 06:43:54

We always do self catering when we go away. Either an apartment, or villa/cottage/house.
Good time to travel as not school holidays, and a good time for your lo as young enough to sleep on the plane soundly.
We moved to Oz when dd2 was 13 weeks.

munchkinmaster Tue 23-Apr-13 06:42:23

You'll need an apartment or a suite or you'll end up sitting in the dark at night watching tv on mute. Don't self cater though. Eat out. That's the point

BedHanger Tue 23-Apr-13 06:33:18

It will be fine, we just got back from a week in Majorca with a 2.5yo and then 7wo. We had a lovely time in a two-bed apartment. Just hung around the pool and the beach, didn't even bother trying to do anything more fancy. We were half board as we couldn't be bothered to cook grin.

Only thing to remember is that babies under six months shouldn't be in the bright sun, so it's harder to get a tan as one of you is usually under the umbrella, unless you have one of those handy babies that will snooze happily in the pram.

Oh crikey, easiest holiday you will have for years!

We always go All Inclusive, and bake by the pool whilst baby naps in the pram in the shade. No cooking, no cleaning, just pack about 15 plain white vests for baby to wear-job done.

leelteloo Tue 23-Apr-13 06:23:58

I went on family holiday to a villa when dd was 6 weeks and I was post cs. It was great, had lots of support during the day and it was nice and warm when I was up feeding in the night. We had a tv/DVD and I took some box sets for the long night shifts. It was really easy on the plane as I just bf and kept dd in the buba sling. She ate or slept all flight. I took breast pump, bottles, tablet sterilisers etc. push chair, mossy net 4 pushchair, car seat, pop up cot. We used washing up bowl to bath her.
I would go self catering and try and have separate bedroom.
Have fun

loulouppy Tue 23-Apr-13 06:03:47

easiest time to travel, nothing terrible at all about taking a small baby away. go to a baby friendly bolthole and you wont need to take any of that clobber mentioned above with you, it will all be provided as standard for free.

girlywhirly Mon 22-Apr-13 15:29:09

I think something like an apart-hotel would suit you, there are the facilities of a hotel with self catering option in your rooms (typically two ring hob, sink, fridge, cooking and eating pans, crockery, utensils, glassware, cutlery; and kettle, toaster, iron and so on. You can often choose what level of board you want, B and B, half board or full board using their restaurant, or just pay as you go with meals.

Take a pushchair that is comfortable for a little baby to sleep in with good sun protection, and a sling is handy for boarding the plane and at the other end while you wait for the pushchair at baggage reclaim. Take a blanket in case evenings are cool/ for the airport boarding and so on. Remember you will need to take a carseat if you plan to hire a car. Most airlines will allow you to take two of three items free of charge, e.g. pushchair, car seat, travel cot. The third would be charged for. This is even if you haven't paid for a seat for an infant under two.

You will need feeding and sterilising stuff and formula if bottle feeding, with a bottle brush, and a container for the sterilising fluid and bottles. Breastfed babies are easier in that they don't require all these things.

You can book a cot/travel cot to be supplied in your room. Take some cot bedding of your own if you want, but make sure it doesn't get taken away when they change your bedding.

Take clothes, nappies and toiletries, and baby suncream. There may be laundry facilities at your chosen place, if not a tube of travel wash takes no space and you can hand-wash the baby clothes so that you won't need to take loads. Nappies can be expensive abroad so try to take one pack with you. A few toys would be handy as well, especially ones that attach to the pushchair and won't get lost. A few sachets of Calpol are handy to have in case of emergency, and insect repellent.

Use your changing bag as your hand luggage, and use it for the baby things, remember to pack spare tops and shorts for yourself and your partner in his hand luggage in case of baby sick accidents, so you can at least change!

SoYo Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:04

The subject line says it all really! We're thinking about going way for a week in June. Is it crazy to take a 14 week old baby abroad and if not does anyone have any tips for good places to go. Is hotel or self catering a better idea? Just how much stuff are we likely to have to take?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now