Holiday with mobility issues

(5 Posts)
Kaffiene Fri 19-Apr-13 19:11:09

Looking to sneak a week away in June with DD 5 and DH

DD uses a walking frame and a wheelchair when needed. She prefers to walk where possible. Looking for somewhere with places to walk that are as smooth and accessible as possible. More marble type flooring than cobbles. She can manage stairs but needs help and she likes to be independent.

A pool where she could touch the bottom would be lovely (about 1m)

Any recommendations for somewhere warm and reasonably priced. Flying from Scotland if possible or NE or gatwick

Thanks

whtsmum Fri 19-Apr-13 22:22:48

We went to the Mar menor in Spain last year, brilliant place. Stayed at a Polaris World resort, 5* all the way. 19 pools, ground floor appartments about £200 pw. Fly into Murcia airport, 15 mins away. Depends what you want from a holiday, I took my 3 children on my own. Safe, quite at night, some occations only ones around the pool. Just what I wanted. (My son has limited mobility, but didn't use his chair at all out thier, my 5yr old could touch the bottom in most pools.) Fantastic beaches near by, in the mar menor so very shallow and warm. Hope this helps.

Kaffiene Sat 20-Apr-13 19:34:06

That looks lovely. We all speak Spanish, I grew up there.

Can I ask where you booked the accommodation from? Is there a paseo or any bars or restaurants in walking distance?

Any other ideas for places to look into?

whtsmum Sat 20-Apr-13 22:59:50

You have the on site bar, you are about 1/2 miles from the nearest village Sucina, and the resort next door (another golf cousre) apparently has fantastic tapas, restaurant and horse riding. Try typing in holiday lettings and holiday rentals on google, I have booking my appartment directly though someone, but they dont mind me giving you thier details. we hae booked this one because its ground floor, corner appartment with direct access to the pool, most importantly it has really comfy beds, if you want the details let me know. you will need a hire car though, we went through skyscanner for flights and car hire, no problems at all last year. Booked again for may half term, then 4 weeks in summer. Its so much easier being out there with a disabled child, the sun always helps, then a different pool for each day if you choise. Hope this helps.

Kaffiene Wed 24-Apr-13 11:22:43

Sorry RL got in the way. It would be fab to have insider knowledge, if you wouldnt mind sending the details. Murcia is expensive flight wise but Alicante looks better and just drive down. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now