Corfu

(12 Posts)
Bunbaker Fri 19-Apr-13 16:26:56

We dropped people off at Sidari en route to Arillas and thought it looked a bit to "Blackpooly" for our taste.

I can't recommend an AI holiday as we tend to self cater or stay in a hotel on a half board basis.

BackforGood Fri 19-Apr-13 16:07:04

We went to Sidari.
Plenty of restaurants, bars etc, but the shops were just a strip selling touristy stuff. I was very unimpressed with the lack of beach, although some of the hotels had their own private part of the nice bit of the beach .
I was impressed by the restaurants, but if you want all inclusive, I don't suppose that's relevant to you. Can't recommend an AI as we self cater.

Bunbaker Fri 19-Apr-13 15:58:16

We had two fabulous holidays in Arillas on the north west coast. The resort ticked all the right boxes for us - pool, location, plenty of tavernas, no nightclubs or karaoke bars, a few bars and several shops to wander around. You can walk over the headland to St Stefanos and there are several other walks you can do.

Fairylea Thu 18-Apr-13 19:56:06

smile Antoinette

It is the place of dreams smile

Fairylea I know exactly what you mean about missing Greece so much. I have dreams about Kaminaki!

Kaminaki is what heaven looks and feels like IMO. I don't know whether it would be your kind of thing though, OP-it's very quiet with really nothing to do except swim and walk and eat smile

Fairylea Thu 18-Apr-13 13:20:33

I went many years ago... to dassia and I thought it was beautiful. I fell in love with Corfu and even looked at jobs while I was out there! If you get a chance take a boat trip to kefalonia.. absolutely stunning.

Sometimes I miss Greece so much I watch captain correlis mandolin for the scenery!!! smile (filmed in kefalonia)

carmen66 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:17:34

The transfer is a long time I have a 7 year old & it's going to be hot in July we usually go away in the May half term but can't this year..
I might have to look at different places ..

Laquila Thu 18-Apr-13 13:13:39

I think I know what you mean, and to be honest I didn't really see any places like that - Dasia, where we where, had a lot of restaurants/bars (although most hadn't opened yet) and a couple of supermarkets, touristy shops and little boutiquey-type places, but not so much stuff to do, if you know what I mean.

I think in high season, Kassiopi might be the kind of place that'd suit you - it was just the transfer that'd out me off a little bit! Still prob not much over an hour and a quarter from Corfu airport though.

carmen66 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:58:07

Thankyou for your reply, I will look into the hotel that you suggested..
I get a bit nervous going away as we have made a couple of mistakes in the past where as we have arrived at our destination to find out that there has been nothing outside of the hotel... We like resorts with shops & restaurants & plenty to see ..

Laquila Thu 18-Apr-13 11:39:51

Hi, we're just back from Corfu and it was a lovely holiday, but we were child-free (and budgeting!) and probably after quite a different experience! Also, the season had barely started so I don't really think we got a sense of what it would be like in full swing.

Having said all that, I'd recommend the area we stayed in, Dasia, about 15 mins north of Corfu Town. There was a nice-looking hotel there called the Corfu Chandria which wasn't open for the season yet, but looked like it might do all-inclusive.

Kassiopi was nice but compared to other places on the island it's a bit of a trek (on v winding roads) from the airport, which might be a factor. I also like Paleokastritsa, which has two nice dandyish beaches and would I think make a good family resort. Probably v busy in high season though. Nice restaurant there called the Nausika Taverna - good stifado.

We enjoyed having a car - it's a nice island to potter around, but I expect the public transport's quite good in high season.

Corfu Town is lovely and I'd highly recommend a taverna called Mouragia, on Arseniou (on the walls - effectively on the seafront).

carmen66 Thu 18-Apr-13 11:32:55

Hi, I've just been looking at Corfu for a holiday in July with my oh & 7 year old... I really not sure as to where to go , has anybody been could you recommend a nice part that isn't too quiet close to amenities the beach & nice walks.. We would also have all inclusive thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now