ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Holiday in Greece - just not sure where

(4 Posts)
Bellini12 Thu 18-Apr-13 11:16:25

We normally holiday in Majorca but are considering Greece this year (presuming it's cheaper?).

I've travelled around the Cyclades islands and been to Kefalonia pre-kids and really enjoyed it.

We are looking for a sandy beach which is quite shallow (not big waves), nice taverna's, fish restaurants close by.

From reading posts on here I've heard Rhodes, Crete, Skiathos & Kos are nice but have no idea of actual resorts. We don't want a long airport transfer.

Looking for self-catering.

Will it be oppressively hot or is there usually a breeze?

bobs Thu 18-Apr-13 11:22:51

Pefkos in Rhodes? Nice long beach. I stayed there when the kids were young in the Matina Appts which were 1 min from the beach so not too busy round the pool. The rest of the resort is up a hill but there are restaurants/minimarkets within a 2 min walk. It's 1.5 hr transfer (less than 1hr in a taxi) and 5-10 mins taxi ride from Lindos with its Acropolis,

Chania and the area around it in Western Crete is lovely. It will get hot in July/August high summer but not oppressively so on the coast. The villages around Chania have gently sloping shallow water and it's nice to visit Chania itself, with its Venetian harbour/old town, covered markets and fantastic bakeries (walnut baklava to die for).

The further west you go the more remote it is, but there is definitely tourist infrastructure even in the remote places, and some of the most amazing beaches are there (Falasarna, Elafonisi lagoon etc).

Loutro/Finix on the south west coast which is really lovely but quite quiet and old fashioned, and accessible only by a coach across the island and then a boat along the coast so if you don't want a long transfer that is maybe not for you...Paleochora is a bit bigger and more of an established resort, and it usually does have a breeze (people windsurf there).

Cretan food is simple and delicious and it's a great place with kids.

We haven't been since the crisis but we are going back this year, have missed it too much.

girlywhirly Fri 19-Apr-13 16:02:03

I like Pefkos. DH and I stayed at the Island Blue hotel, but you could still self cater if you wanted to. They have a sister hotel close by called the Pefki Islands which is cheaper, but you still get a small kitchenette and a bedroom off the main bedroom which is handy for kids. You can use all the pools and facilities of both. I think a lot of the hotels are actually 'apart-hotels' which gives the flexibility to families, and you can still eat out. Lots of lovely restaurants to choose from.

Google Pefkos and you will find a lot of reviews, maps, pictures and holiday companies to help you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now