Citybreak...recommen dations and booking tips..

(11 Posts)
ttcnumero3 Wed 17-Apr-13 12:54:10

I'd like to book a city break for dh and I. Ttc number 3 ( hence the name) and older two are old enough to be left while we travel a little distance. Thought it would be nice to get an adults only trip in before we have a baby around again.

So... How do i go about it?

Criteria:

as cheap as possible but in a reasonable standard of accommodation.

Has to be Fri - Sun.

Will consider going anywhere. ( though have Barcelona in my head)

Do I just start going through destinations on Ryanair website or is there a better way to approach this?

TIA

Budgiegirlbob Wed 17-Apr-13 19:47:39

Go to Rome! It's the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Every time you turn a corner there another gorgeous thing to see. Lots of free places to visit, such as the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, gardens at Villa Borguese, and hundreds of beautiful little churches with amazing artwork and sculptures.

It's reasonably cheap to fly to, and hotel prices are reasonable if you stay out of the very centre, we stayed near the Termini station. Most things are easy to walk to. Eating out is ok price wise if you walk a little way from main tourist spots. Drinks can be pricey, but we found a fab little wine bar just off the Piazza Navona that had decent wine for €12 a bottle.

I want to go back! It was so beautiful I actually cried!

^^
What she said.

BreasticlesNTesticles Wed 17-Apr-13 19:50:05

Rome!

mumblechum1 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:56:24

BA have a really good thing on their website. Go to "holidayfinder", put in your budget, how many starts, how far the flight can be, and whether you want city or beach and the dates and it comes up with a list of possibles. I used it the other week and ended up booking a long weekend in Madrid. The flight and hotel came to much less than booking separately.

dinkystinky Wed 17-Apr-13 20:03:02

Look at trivago - we got a fab deal on a hotel in Chicago through them.

Think about dates you want and poss places then go to sky scanner.net to check out flights.

Europe will be cheap - Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Brute, Montpelier, Venice all good bets.

ttcnumero3 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:59:49

Thanks everyone. I seem to be drawing blanks... Cannot find flights that work..leaving after work on a Fri and back Sun eve.. Has to be from a Scottish airport..pref Glasgow or Edin.

invicta Wed 17-Apr-13 21:02:18

Amsterdam is a great place for a city break.

elQuintoConyo Wed 17-Apr-13 21:05:57

I'd be back to Venice in a frickin flash! It's great this time of year as it's warm, Easter has come and gone so not too packed but everything should be open, and I don't think it's until July/August that the city starts to smell... let's just say 'less than fresh'.
The locals will also be glad to see tourists rather than sick of them.
Treviso airport (ryanshite) is 1hr away but BA do some deals to MarcoPolo in the city and the bus price in is a dcent price.

I live in Barcelona and can't recommend it enough, but I also love leaving!

I have just booked a few days in Venice at the end of July. Does it smell really bad then?

BreasticlesNTesticles Thu 18-Apr-13 13:40:13

Iceland? Or somewhere in Scandanavia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now