Where has guaranteed, nailed-on, wall-to-wall sunshine in May?

(9 Posts)
Cerubina Sun 14-Apr-13 13:53:51

I'm looking to have a 4 or 5 day break by myself to help heal after marriage implosion, and it'll most likely be in May - maybe at the start, maybe at the end (bank holiday weekends). It needs to be a sunny and warm destination because I'm desperate to feel the sun on my face and spend the days vegging out, and it needs to be not too long a flight (3-4 hours) to make the most of limited time.

I'm wondering whether Morocco or Tunisia are best bets but am not sure if even they would be guaranteed to be sunny. Can anyone help with experience of holidaying in May please?

hf128219 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:05:51

Morocco would be ideal. Or Egypt a bit further.

Egypt. 5hr flight.
Guarenteed 30+ degrees, not a cloud in the sky, stunning beach, all inclusive lushness.

Go to Baron Resort. I can assure you 10000% that you wont find a better hotel/food/weather.

am going again in Sept and cant wait

everlong Wed 17-Apr-13 20:53:43

I've been to Greece quite a few times in May and it's been warm, sometimes it did cloud over for a short time.

I've been to Egypt in May too. The weather was beautiful. About 39c.
Lovely warm sea too.

WinterWinds Mon 22-Apr-13 12:31:41

Been to both Fuerteventura and Teneriefe in May,The sun was out and no cloud or rain.

But Fuerteventura got too intense for me as it is very, very humid. The mid day heat was unbearable (and I like the sun!!) We all got burned despite copius amounts of high factor suncream. By about day five I was constantly feeling sick due to the heat. I actually couldn't wait to get home.
Tenerife much nicer and even though hot and sunny much more bearable.

Cyprus in May is Fantastic (We are going back in Mid May) Been many times and I can only ever remember 1 Thunderstorm overnight.

Turkey is also very hot (went last May) but the weather was a bit unpredictable with quite a lot of cloud and rain showers for the first few days. After the rain moved away it was lovely for the rest of the stay But the locals did say this was really unusual for May.

Corfu had one cloudy day out of 7

Spain is very hit and miss in May, sometimes we have been and its been crap other times its been glorius.

Can you tell our first holiday of the year is always in May??? grin

LexyMa Mon 22-Apr-13 13:13:08

Came on to say Morocco, but I see it already has a couple of votes !!

bigTillyMint Mon 22-Apr-13 13:16:03

Egypt and Tunisia are both hot and (relatively) cheap. Morocco too, but I think it's a bit windier there.

gordonpym Tue 23-Apr-13 17:42:27

I had one of my coldest holiday in Morocco in August, no kidding I have pictures of me on the beach at Sidi Ifni with a jacket and a scarf- August!!
Bad luck? Or wrong expectation?
Go to Egypt! Canaries are really hot now, but weather sometimes can change

Cerubina Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:24

Thank you all - in the end I opted for Egypt for the benefit of consistent temperatures (hopefully!), all inclusive board and possibility of only going for 4 nights. There were really limited options for that reason as far as I can tell. Anyway, I leave in two weeks!

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now