Can you recommend a zinc oxide sun block?

(8 Posts)
allnewtaketwo Tue 23-Apr-13 10:02:47

Yes you just need to run it in more than you would with a chemical one. But I do find more of it gets onto clothing than other suncreams for this reason (washes out absolutely fine though)
I think this is common amongst all mineral sunblocks though (although Jason is the only one I've used)

nappyaddict Tue 23-Apr-13 09:38:54

Does the white colour disappear after application?

allnewtaketwo Mon 22-Apr-13 21:35:59

I've used Jason on DS for years, it's very effective. Not as easy to put on as chemical stuff and is white on application.

Used sun sense last year and it was great too ( DS is very fair skinned)

nappyaddict Wed 17-Apr-13 07:58:09

Titanium oxide does block out UVB smile

oneandnomore Tue 16-Apr-13 22:04:12

Oh I didn't know that. The Sunsense states that it gives broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, so maybe the UVB protection is via a chemical ingredient? I'll have to find out some more info.

nappyaddict Mon 15-Apr-13 10:00:43

Apparently titanium oxide only protects against UVB and short wave UVA (UVA2) rays where as zinc oxide protects against UVB, short wave UVA (UVA2) and long wave UVA (UVA1) rays.

oneandnomore Sun 14-Apr-13 22:43:13

I haven't used sun screen with zinc oxide, have just been googling and apparently zinc oxide goes onto the skin more efficiently than titanium oxide. Don't know if that is your understanding also?
That said, I always use either the Sunsense toddler milk, or Nivea children's sunscreen, not the spray. Both these products have a high titanium oxide content. I can honestly say that DD has had no skin reaction to either, and has never shown any sign of sunburn.
Sorry, not much help re your question, but just trying to help smile

nappyaddict Sun 14-Apr-13 09:36:59

I've found this one but don't know of anyone that has used it and would prefer to go on a recommendation of one that has been tried and tested so to speak. I have heard that zinc oxide is better than titanium oxide at protecting against UVA rays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now