Sunny beach holiday resort in France but not too far to drive?

(10 Posts)
TheNewson Thu 11-Apr-13 20:16:21

Hi
Tired of years of disappointing British beach hols. I need some sun, but I don't fly. Looking to go for a week to ten days in July (school hols).

I looked into the ferry to Santender, but for the four of us (twin boys aged 7) it was £1200 for the crossing alone during July. I was hoping to budget £2k for the whole hol.

So I have decided that driving across France may be the best option. South France (Cannes, Nice) is too far (even though I love it and it is sweltering!) and maybe want something along the (West?) Atlantic Coast, so I can go by boat to a port like Roscof .

I realise Brittany will have the same climate roughly as here, so that's no good.

Where can I go that will a) be sunny and close to a beach b) max 6 hrs from Calais or another port, maybe Roscof? (we want to go on a budget and I haven't checked out the Roscof ferry prices yet). and c) Has a centre parcs/Haven type resort (we are not really ones for cottages in Provence. Need a bit of action).

All advice welcomed - given my absolute lack of knowledge on this subject! Thanks

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 09:34:05

Pierre et Vacances in the Vendee or Charente Maritime?

RedNats5 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:13:11

We're hoping the vendee will be. It supposedly has most hours of sunshine after the south of France.
http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/vendee-weather.htm

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 10:41:35

We are going to La Rochelle at the end of July. It better be bloody sunny ! wink

TheNewson Sat 13-Apr-13 19:29:39

Thanks Portofino. Looks nice! We're thinking about driving from Calais now...

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 22:40:16

We live in Brussels so,a similar distance. We will try to,leave on Friday night and do an overnight somewhere.

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 22:43:40

It's a hard one. We have done many years in the south of France or Italy. Last year we did the Dordogne and a week in the Loire on the way home, did swimming but were grateful it wasn't so hot.

frenchfancy Sun 14-Apr-13 21:00:15

There is a micro climate that is centered around la Rochelle and runs about 40km north and south. So For the best weather in the Vendee you need to head to the south of the department; Given the way the motorways run that doesn't actually add to your driving time. 6.5hours from Calais to the south Vendée.

Iaintdunnuffink Tue 16-Apr-13 20:15:45

Considering the price of Brittany ferries and the time it takes to drive to the SW coast from Calais, how about the Champagne, or Vosges?

Would you consider a mobile? Some of the parks have great pools.

Taffeta Tue 16-Apr-13 20:17:00

Ile D'Oleron is fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now